Chick Corea / Steve Gadd Band - CHINESE BUTTERFLY

Dmitry

Prediction - this will be a big one, when it comes out on November 22. I bought the advanced copy when I went to their concert a couple of weeks ago. The music is phenomenally good. It's a 2-cd set, and the best new release I've heard in years. How Lionel Loueke produces the sound he does from his guitar, I can't describe. He sounds like a keyboard player, and his singing fits perfectly with whatever Corea's concept is for this band. I'd love to see them again, but no more US tour dates for this band; the European fans have a chance to see them still. Don't miss it, folks!

http://chickcorea.com/concerts/#.WfnBnmhSzcs

.m_4988031254202.jpg

Thank you Dmitry.  I've been pretty closely following every release he's made for 8 years, and as a reviewer, I have gotten stuff from Chick's management, but  if this is what you say, I would love to get more music like that from PR people.  The best labels I get serviced from are ECM and Rare Noise, so much indie stuff you gotta dig deep to find the jewels.  Lionel Loueke is incredible, a truly original voice on his instrument, and dare I say a sonic innovator in the way guitarists like Bill Frisell and David Torn contribute to their instruments.  I've been a fan ever since Herbie Hancock featured him in his band, and though I don't have any of Lionel's releases as a leader, I was lucky to see him live around the time "Karibu" came out.  He is excellent on the Blue Note All Stars "My Point of View".

You are gonna love it. I've played my copy 7 or 8 times already. This rendition of the Return to Forever sounds just as fresh as the original did in 1971. Corea's use of a male vocalist hits the mark, and the sound spectrum of contemporary keyboards on all the tracks really took it home for me. It's definitely not album for the jazz purists.

I've also been listening to his VIGIL album. It's amazing how much a different drummer can bring into the band. 

Edited by Dmitry

Listening to my white label promo delivered yesterday by Concord.  Great stuff.  I MAY pick up the Japanese edition when I'm in Japan in 2 weeks time.  I love how the sound kinda hints at late 70's early 80's Chick but grounded in now.  Philip Bailey on RTF is great.   Love "Like I Was Sayin'"  too.  This is one of Corea' best in decades and maybe in his career.  Gadd sounds great, he's really playing for the music rather than just playing his licks these days.  Loueke is fantastic.  Speaking of jazz purists, I just wish people would let go of if x swings or has to be acoustic......................  just enjoy things as they are now.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 2 months later...