2017-18 MLB Hot Stove League!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

... and no sooner do I post that then the ice breaks and the Cubs sign Yu Darvish to a 6 year/$126 million deal.

I approve since they didn't seem keen on bringing Arrieta back and Darvish is a high-quality starter who will only be more effective in the no-DH league.

Now is there any guarantee that he doesn't resume tipping in his pitches at inopportune moments like a Game Seven? 

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Now is there any guarantee that he doesn't resume tipping in his pitches at inopportune moments like a Game Seven? 

Unfortunately not. But let's hope for that.

Let's also hope that his elbow/shoulder/armasawhole isn't anything less than 0% unfixed, because if so, you will really want to be too hip for the room and get you some of this fab gear for the gigtime:

nippon-ham-fighters-home-cap-2017-1.jpg

s-l300.jpg

s-l300.jpg

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

Eric Hosmer signs 8-year $144 million deal with San Diego Padres

I wonder if this will have any influence, one direction or another, on the J.D. Martinez-Boston Red Sox standoff.

God I hope not. The Sox are desperate for a bat but he would be a disaster if signed at all. I'd rather go back into battle with what they have, and a healthy David Price in the rotation, then sign this guy.

If he's put in the outfield, the best defensive outfield in baseball is broken up, someone cost-controlled and way more talented is dealt, and the man is a f-ing butcher in the field. Wrong side of 30, asshole for an agent. Never wanted them to go after him and I only hope someone else is stupid enough to give him the money Boras thinks he is worth or that he stays with the D-Backs or whoever he was with on some sort of inventive short-term deal that mlbtraderumors has been talking about  for at least a week.

Whatever its long-term implications (it actually seems like a pretty decent deal for the Red Sox from my perspective), don't you think it definitely makes the team stronger for 2018, filling the offensive hole that Ortiz's retirement had created?  Maybe you get two prime years and then he opts out at age 32?  Fans at Over The Monster seem pretty happy about it.