Tyshawn Sorey

LWayne

I have many CDs where he has been a sideman. Always enjoyed his interactions; particularly with Steve Lehman Octet.

Since he has deservedly gained a lot of publicity recently, my question is where to start in his recorded catalogue as a leader?

"Verisimilitude" seems to be pretty esoteric from the samples I have heard.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

LWayne

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pillars is my favorite by a good bit. 

20 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Another new one from Sorey, on Pi, quartet playing standards amongst others. Following in Braxton's footsteps?

https://tyshawn-sorey.bandcamp.com/album/the-off-off-broadway-guide-to-synergism?from=fanpub_fb

Last 2 shows I’ve seen Tyshawn have been “jazz” shows. One pre-pandemic and the other earlier this year. At the show earlier this year Greg Osby played a fine alto saxophone with a good straight ahead bassist (who did not once use his bow:() and a decent but flowery pianist. Osby never exploded the music so I came away disappointed.  I didn’t stay for the second set as I knew what I’d hear so no “sound of surprise” which is still what I’m looking for at live shows. 

Very good but nothing like a few years back with Mary Halvorson & Jon Irabagon as one of a few examples of seeing Tyshawn & band mates destroy the room. 

Edited by Steve Reynolds

He is scheduled for three concerts at the Big Ears Festival.

Tyshawn Sorey Trio with Joe Lovano and Bill Frisell.

With the Vijay Iyer Trio, with Linda Oh.

And in a trio led by saxophonist (new to me) Zoh Amba (with Thomas Morgan).

Previous
Edited by kh1958

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I enjoyed the one Zoh Amba that I have heard. FJB gave her a bit push recently for some reason.

No other reason than "new kid on the block" on a very FJB label, releasing a couple of albums with name band members, as I saw it. Just the sort of player I'd look to them to introduce me to.

Are you suggesting nefarious motivations? :)

Edited by mjazzg

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

No other reason than "new kid on the block" on a very FJB label, releasing a couple of albums with name band members, as I saw it. Just the sort of player I'd look to them to introduce me to.

Are you suggesting nefarious motivations? :)

It seemed a little artificial to me. I wondered if it was paid for.

I was definitely pretty impressed by her - not blown away but enough that I’d explore more.

• 4 months later...
On 9/15/2022 at 11:28 AM, mjazzg said:

Another new one from Sorey, on Pi, quartet playing standards amongst others. Following in Braxton's footsteps?

https://tyshawn-sorey.bandcamp.com/album/the-off-off-broadway-guide-to-synergism?from=fanpub_fb

This is finally out. Got here late last week, starting to play it today. I like it, like it just fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...