Blue Note SHM SACDs from Japan 2017

RiRiIII

• 8 months later...

Just playin' side by side the SHM SACD and HD Tracks 24/192 (2012 remaster) of Kenny Burrell's "Midnight Blue":

a. channels are reversed at the SHM-SACD (guitar from the left channel)
b. HD bassier/easier, SACD more detailed/livelier

Seemingly different transfer/remastering?

10 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I've purchased the Shorter, Rollins, Dolphy and Hancock. The best of the four is the Dolphy--sounds fantastic. The others. . .sound pretty good.

Great to hear this. I have purchased the Dolphy and Shorter through CDBanq Taiwan with an eye on the future. I currently lack SACD playback capability.

By the way, Lon, which Hancock? Speak Like a Child or Maiden Voyage?

I just can't justify $38.50 + shipping to find see if there is an incremental improvement in the sound quality. As I get older and my hearing gets worse & worse, I think my days of buying audiophile reissues are over. In this particular case, I have audiophile reissues of many of these titles. I have to wonder if I could even hear the slight sound differences.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

5 hours ago, erwbol said:

I can for a masterpiece like Out to Lunch.

I already have the excellent-sounding UCCU-5669 CD as well as the Music Matters 33 rpm LP versions so I don't think I have inferior versions at my disposal. In fact, the Japanese CD I have has 2 alternates that aren't available elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I already have the excellent-sounding UCCU-5669 CD as well as the Music Matters 33 rpm LP versions so I don't think I have inferior versions at my disposal. In fact, the Japanese CD I have has 2 alternates that aren't available elsewhere.

You don't have an inferior digital version. UCCU-5669 is identical to the 75th anniversary SHM-CD, TOCJ-81013. It does have a bit of compression added, which sometimes bothers me. A description, I believe, Lon gave on the Hoffman board also outlined other gains over the SHM-CD. Since I have no intention of going back to vinyl ever again, the SHM-SACD is of interest to me.

It's a shame the bonus tracks are absent on these SHM-SACDs.

Also, those Music Matters LPs are even more expensive than $38 for an SHM-SACD, so that goes against your original post. You could find justification for a $55 to $75 audiophile Out to Lunch LP a couple of years earlier? Unless you buy into the vinyl is inherently superior to digital idea, I know what I would choose.

36 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Also, those Music Matters LPs are even more expensive than $38 for an SHM-SACD, so that goes against your original post. You could find justification for a $55 to $75 audiophile Out to Lunch LP a couple of years earlier? Unless you buy into the vinyl is inherently superior to digital idea, I know what I would choose.

I was an original subscriber to Music Matters' 33 rpm series so I paid $35, including shipping, and yes, that was more than I wanted to pay, but no, not for a nice vinyl copy. :)

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

You don't have an inferior digital version. UCCU-5669 is identical to the 75th anniversary SHM-CD, TOCJ-81013. It does have a bit of compression added, which sometimes bothers me. A description, I believe, Lon gave on the Hoffman board also outlined other gains over the SHM-CD. Since I have no intention of going back to vinyl ever again, the SHM-SACD is of interest to me.

It's a shame the bonus tracks are absent on these SHM-SACDs.

I just pulled my Japanese CD and it turns out that I have TOCJ-81013. I had forgotten that it was repressed.

Don't have an SACD player, but the expanded SHM edition of Out To Lunch (the one with the previously unreleased bonus tracks), was a total revelation!  Sonically, and in terms of the extra material too.  And I say "sonically" as someone who normally is about the furthest from being an audiophile as you can get -- but even *I* could hear a huge difference in the sound quality.

I mostly only bought the Blue Note SHM titles that had extra material (unique to those SHM titles exclusively), but all of them sounded about as good as any issues of that material I'd ever heard.  (And I think the only one's I bought that didn't have extra material, were the Sam Rivers and Larry Young titles, that hadn't ever been on CD before individually, and were only part of their respective Mosaics on CD).

On 8/3/2018 at 6:06 AM, erwbol said:

Great to hear this. I have purchased the Dolphy and Shorter through CDBanq Taiwan with an eye on the future. I currently lack SACD playback capability.

By the way, Lon, which Hancock? Speak Like a Child or Maiden Voyage?

Sorry, I'm done buying Maiden Voyage! It was Speak Like a Child.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Maiden Voyage, let's see, I had the original vinyl, the late 80's reissue vinyl, the McMaster CD, the Herbie BN box set, the RVG CD - yeah, I think I'm done buying it, too.

Hmmm... I'll play. I've had an early 70's RVG pressed LP, the late 90's "all analog" Wally Traugott LP pressing, the McMaster CD, the BN box (also McMaster), the RVG CD, the Hoffman SACD and finally the Music Matters 33 rpm LP. I'm done too. :)

• JSngry locked this topic
  • JSngry unlocked this topic
7 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

surprised none of you dawgs get the 1st cd of it!

R-3273102-1428417963-7181.jpeg.jpg

What I really wanted was a vintage Applause label bad needledrop CD of it with fake cover, but that one didn't make the series.

Image result for bobby hutcherson applause label

8 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

surprised none of you dawgs get the 1st cd of it!

R-3273102-1428417963-7181.jpeg.jpg

Thanks for the reminder... I had that one too!! :) (EDIT - I just checked and I sold this one on the Hoffman forums for $50 back in 2008)

Ha ha ha... just looked in my .mp3 file area and I see that l also had (or have) the TOCJ-4195 version.

Jeez, I've owned a lot of versions of this recording!!

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan