Berklee in the News (and it ain't pretty)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the vague title? Why not "Berklee Teachers Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Students?

Sad to hear that Greg Osby is among those identified in the article. Sadder still is Osby's sexist defense against the charge:

"Bottom line is, and this is a bit harsh, if anyone saw my girlfriend at that time and saw [his Berklee accuser] that would probably end the argument,” Osby said. “Why would I jeopardize my career for somebody like that?”"

Btw, the link works.

2 hours ago, sonnymax said:

Why the vague title? Why not "Berklee Teachers Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Students?

Sad to hear that Greg Osby is among those identified in the article. Sadder still is Osby's sexist defense against the charge:

"Bottom line is, and this is a bit harsh, if anyone saw my girlfriend at that time and saw [his Berklee accuser] that would probably end the argument,” Osby said. “Why would I jeopardize my career for somebody like that?”"

Btw, the link works.

Agreed with respect to Osby.  He did not do himself any favors.  He would have been better off not saying anything. This Weinstein thing set of the exposure of a lot of rot that needs to be excised; and that is a good thing.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

One more reason why teaching "jazz" in schools is a bad idea.

Not sure I follow your point here. Sexual harassment has long been an issue in classical conservatories, though it’s kept relatively quiet. It is possible that the hyper-masculinity of the jazz subculture and the large number of adjunct faculty at a school like Berklee exacerbates the problem. But leaving aside whatever other issues there may be with jazz education, I’m not sure there’s any significant difference between the jazz and classical worlds when it comes to sexual misconduct in the academy. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

Well yeah, sorta, but otoh, you get people who are used to "road behavior" and/or "club behavior" and put them in a classroom, an altogether different type of "paying customer" and, you know, some people are more able to change skins that others.

Believe me, the road is not a place that brings out the best in you, especially if your rutting habits and/or courtship skills are baseline-at-best to begin with.

gross and disgusting stuff (and I'm a visiting professor there). I am more and more shocked at what men will do. I mean, there is flirting and 'borderline' obnoxiousness, but the whole 'open season' thing and coercive behavior as described are inexcusable; and it is never acceptable for teacher and student to be involved because of the power relationship.

Edited by AllenLowe

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Well yeah, sorta, but otoh, you get people who are used to "road behavior" and/or "club behavior" and put them in a classroom, an altogether different type of "paying customer" and, you know, some people are more able to change skins that others.

Believe me, the road is not a place that brings out the best in you, especially if your rutting habits and/or courtship skills are baseline-at-best to begin with.

I actually agree with this.

That said, while many musicians have a lot to teach, quite a few do not respect academia and view this as just another gig (albeit one that pays better/more consistently). If you are screwing students, you are not there to educate, no matter what your field is.

13 hours ago, bertrand said:

Osby is a total dick.

From the article:  Osby, in an hourlong interview with the Globe, disputed the woman’s claims. 

Then they proceed to quote about two sentences of his. If they conducted an hour-long interview, they better print it.
I'm of the opinion that in this country you are still innocent, unless PROVEN guilty. 

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

From the article:  Osby, in an hourlong interview with the Globe, disputed the woman’s claims. 

Then they proceed to quote about two sentences of his. If they conducted an hour-long interview, they better print it.
I'm of the opinion that in this country you are still innocent, unless PROVEN guilty. 

No one wrote that he was guilty or innocent.  The quotes speak for themselves.