Corbett v Dempsey

cliffpeterson

6 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Previous McPhee reissue from them, Variations On  A Blue Line, was a needle drop and I've not bought any others of theirs since because of that. Hope these aren't. I'll wait to be advised if someone would be so kind

According to the email sent regarding the McPhee:

Asked which of his out-of-print records he’d like to see available again, multi-instrumentalist Joe McPhee’s response was immediate: The Willisau Concert! Recorded at the Swiss festival that gave it its name in 1975, it appeared a year later as Hat Hut B, the second of the new label’s great letter series. It came packaged gorgeously in a double-gatefold with artist Klaus Baumgärtner’s stunning pen-and-ink work on the inside and out and a little hand-colored Swiss flag on the interior of each copy. Returning to the music, it’s easy to hear why McPhee holds it so dear. He’s in absolute top form on tenor and soprano saxophones, ranging from the relaxed and confident Afro-conscious feel of Nation Time to areas of more diffuse and textural investigation. John Snyder’s analog synthesizer is brilliant and hyperbolic, a surprisingly hand-in-glove match for McPhee, not dissimilar to their collaboration on the CjR release Pieces of Light. South African drummer Makaya Ntshoko is the surprise element, a guest whose sensitivity and warmth are everywhere evident, even when he kicks the energy up a notch. Along with McPhee originals, this reissue includes a never-released bonus, their take on the classic “God Bless the Child,” a total heartbreaker. The CD has been designed as a facsimile cover of the LP, respecting the beautiful and original graphic work on this classic record. Never before available in any digital form, remastered from the original tapes, The Willisau Concert is restored to its place as one of McPhee’s masterpieces.

The email announcement also states a couple of the other releases are also remastered from the original tapes.

Edited by relyles

The tapes for Variations on a Blue Line may have been lost. 

I've had great luck w/ CvsD but it is true that not every source has been audiophile. Such is life.

Forthcoming I noticed Roy Ashbury and Larry Stabbins' "Fire Without Bricks" (Bead Records). Corbett said he was hoping to do a number of Bead releases that never saw reissue. There are also two Bead cassettes which I will encourage him to investigate reissuing. Graves-Pullen duos are also coming out sometime soon I believe.

12 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Previous McPhee reissue from them, Variations On  A Blue Line, was a needle drop and I've not bought any others of theirs since because of that. Hope these aren't. I'll wait to be advised if someone would be so kind

The Sun Ra is not a needle-drop. Very good sound, which has been the case with the "official" releases of the last few years.

On my recent trip to the states (September) I dropped in to Dusty Grove & Corbett vs Dempsey (located next to & above DG). I met John Corbett & also grabbed a stash of recent releases including Hats (Billy Bang, Jimmy Lyons, Phillip Wilson, Lacy/Potts - Tips) plus the unreleased Hat session Nuclear Family (McPhee & Jaume) & Wadada Leo Smith, Brotz/Van Hove/Bennink 1971. The bonus item (actually on my wants list) was the wonderful/quirky George Davis "Scapula" - Bop acetates, Chicago 1949 - John gave me a copy as due to contractual issues it had to be withdrawn (not listed on website anymore) & can't be sold. He mentioned the upcoming Willisau & Ra releases but didn't have hard copy at the time. Will order through Dusty Groove.

Edited by romualdo

9 hours ago, romualdo said:

The bonus item (actually on my wants list) was the wonderful/quirky George Davis "Scapula" - Bop acetates, Chicago 1949 - John gave me a copy as due to contractual issues it had to be withdrawn (not listed on website anymore) & can't be sold.

whoa, seriously? Details please. I grabbed hat one right away because it was so, uh, sketchy looking. :g

So now I gotta ask - how are there "contractual issues" with something as totally "unknown" as this. Publishing?

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

whoa, seriously? Details please. I grabbed hat one right away because it was so, uh, sketchy looking. :g

So now I gotta ask - how are there "contractual issues" with something as totally "unknown" as this. Publishing?

John wasn't that forthcoming with details - it's a bit sketchy now - maybe it was estate related - I met so many interesting people (jazz wise) in Chicago & NYC things are a bit of a blur

Anyway, he still has copies - I suppose if you go in there & buy a few CDs he may give you one

Davis, George - Scapula: Bop Acetates, Chicago, 1949

SKU CvsD CD014
"Saxophonist George Davis is an enigmatic figure in postwar jazz. He’s best known for leading the band in which Jackie & Roy met – young singer Jackie Cain encountered pianist Roy Krall in the mid-1940s, playing together under Davis in a club on the south side of Chicago called Jump Town. They cut two 78-rpm records for Aristocrat as the George Davis Quartet; these sides followed Davis into obscurity. In 1948/49, Jackie & Roy went on to work with Charlie Ventura. At the same time, Davis cut a very unusual set of acetates with an unidentified band (bass, drums, piano, trumpet, guitar, Davis on alto and tenor sax), playing some standards and a selection of compositions identified as original but which turn out to have been pilfered from the Fats Navarro songbook. The unique 78-rpm records, which were rediscovered in a record shop in Chicago a few years ago, had not been previously issued. Awkwardly announced by Davis, who pretends that there is an audience though it is clear that they’re being waxed in solitude, these privately recorded bop and r&b tracks are pure Chicago jazz, hot, swinging, and bristling with attitude. Another lovely missive from the dustbin of music history."

Squidco has copies