Louis Armstrong Hot 5 and Hot 7

Mark Stryker

Can someone help me sort the various "complete" sets of the Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings on Columbia. Specifically, why does the complete long box issued in 2000 have four discs but the complete set on individual discs that came out in 2003 only contains three? Are the transfers any better between one or the other or are they all the same? 

Finally, what are folks best recommendations for the best transfers of this material on CD in the various issues that might be available -- both a complete set and a one or two disc highlight set?

That one sounds great, but I prefer the Columbia box set by a hair for sound, and it sure has excellent packaging (notes, photos).

I've not studied the difference between the single and complete releases from Columbia. My guess is that the mastering is the same between the two editions and more material (there is additional material that is not technically "Hot Five and Seven") in the complete set.

Get the JSP or the Columbia. . .go complete. . . the music should be encountered. (As you no doubt know).

Edited by jazzbo

Thanks.  To be clear, I do have the Columbia box, but have (a) always wondered about the discrepancy between it and the subsequent 3-CD series but have wondered if there was s better sounding set and (b) wanted a good compilation disc in good sound. I often find myself pulling out the LP series that was so perfect for so many years, which is cool but there are times I’d rather have a CD.

I have the Columbia box (the longish, weirdly shaped one) and the LPs. Considering that both are essentially a collection of singles, I'm not sure that one side of an LP at a time isn't the best for the digestion. That music is very rich, very deep, and in a way is like the Art Tatum solo records, you need time to let it sink in before eating more.

Now, having said that, in a perfect world, I'd just load all the CDs into everything else and just press "random" and get them cold, unexpected, unknowing. That's as close to a "real time" impact as you can get these days. Some people listen to all their music like that. Me, very, very seldomly. That's one of those "it is what it is" things.

Point being, the Columbia box is fine as "library". What you do with it is up to you, but at least you have the options.

• 3 years later...
On 13-11-2017 at 1:26 PM, medjuck said:

IIRC there are some tracks on the JSP not on the Columbia that aren't strictly Hot 5 or 7. 

Better late than never.

The JSP box covers chronologicly all Armstrong sessions November 12 1925 - Februari 1st 1930. 'He likes It Slow' with Butterbeans and Susie and the Carroll Dickerson big band session  that produced 'Symphonic Raps' and 'Savoyagers' Stomp'. are also included. Of 'Some Of These Days' and 'When You're Smiling' both vocal and instrumental takes are included. The alternate takes of 'I Can't Give You Anything But Love' and 'Rockin' Chair' round off the set. Off course the later discovered instrumental takes of 'After You've gone', 'I Ain't Got Nobody', 'Dallas Blues' and 'St. Louis Blues'  are not included. 

The Columbia Longbox covers not chronologicly all Armstrong sessions November 12th 1925 - March 5th 1929. Also included are The November 11th 1925 Hociel Thomas session, 'Butterbeans and Susie, Lil's Hot Shots and Johhny Dodds Vocalion Sessions. The 'I Can't Give You Anything But love' alternate is also included. The Carroll Dickerson session is missing.  

The JSP includes the first orchestra sessions the Columbia stops at the last Savoy Ballroom 5 session.

Edited by miles65
addition of information

35 minutes ago, medjuck said:

Where can one find them? 

They were first issued by Columbia spread over two CD's Louis Armstrong Volume V Louis in New York (Two takes of After you've gone) And Louis Armstrong Volume 6 St. Louis Blues (1 take each of I ain't got nobody, and Dallas Blues and two of St. Louis Blues). Incedently this issue misses the alternate of 'I Can't Give You Anything But love'. 

To complement the Classics issues of Louis Armstrong's recordings Neatwork put them all on Louis Armstrong Volume 1 1926-1935 (Neatwork RP 2020). This one has the alternate of  'I Can't Give You Anything But love'. 

Frémeaux included them all on The complete Louis Armstrong 5 "Tight Like This" 1928-1931 (FA 1355). This one als misses the alternate of  'I Can't Give You Anything But love'.