Crazy sale at Leo Records

Dmitry

Even with shipping to the US, it still works out to around $5 per disc.

The bigger issue is that last year, two of the titles I ordered (Marilyn Crispell Trio "Live In Zurich" and Anthony Braxton "Solo (Koln) 1978") were CD-R copies.

I emailed Leo Feigin directly about this.  He appeared baffled as to why I would object to CD-Rs.  I responded with a long email, including a link to a thread on this site.  He thanked me for enlightening him on the subject and made some sort of vow to not knowingly sell CD-Rs in the future.  The problem is that that the stream is now polluted.  If I order again this year there will be a request included to not send any CD-Rs.  They seem easy to identify (clear plastic jewel cases, no black plastic or digi-packs), but who knows.  Getting a CD-R from any label is sort of a kiss-of-death.

Aaron

20 hours ago, AaronG said:

Even with shipping to the US, it still works out to around $5 per disc.

The bigger issue is that last year, two of the titles I ordered (Marilyn Crispell Trio "Live In Zurich" and Anthony Braxton "Solo (Koln) 1978") were CD-R copies.

I emailed Leo Feigin directly about this.  He appeared baffled as to why I would object to CD-Rs. 

I find it improbable that a music label owner wouldn't know why a customer would object to buying a cd-r. Did they at least come with proper tray cards and booklets?

Leo has such a sale every year for quite some time, yet every time it is "Sale of the Century". It serves best those of us who are into Euro free improv, Soviet/Russian jazz or Anthony Braxton various endeavors. Ganelin Trio is an obvious choice, but I assume you either have it all already or do not care. I got Braxton Standards CDs couple years ago and enjoy them. Sainkho Namtchylak is a singular artist, but, imho, her best performances are found elsewhere (FMP, Aura). Lots of Russian artists you may never heard of (Evgeny Masloboev / Anastasia Masloboeva; Russian Folksongs in the Key of Winter, Sadness, Rhythm, etc, as an example). Golden Years of New Jazz (looks like Leo Feigin is one who likes to stroke his ego), tempting as they are, mostly live performances by the artists whose work is better documented elsewhere (again). Seriously, how many versions of Sun Ra Arkestra chanting "Space is the Place" one has to hear? Then there is Perelman/Shipp-palooza, which might be a gift to some of you.

Two rather obscure albums from that sale list that I'd recommend:

CD LR 635 4-tet Different Song; Step into the Future; CD LR 662 Yang Jing, Christy Doran; N. 9;

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:00 AM, Dmitry said:

I find it improbable that a music label owner wouldn't know why a customer would object to buying a cd-r. Did they at least come with proper tray cards and booklets?

They came with tray cards and booklets.  Proper?  That's debatable.  They appear to be substandard reprints on substandard paper (compared to non-CD-R releases).

Aaron

I guess one can ask not to receive any CDRs, the label is still personally handled by Leo Feigin. I've never had one in the dozens ordered from them including the Braxton mentioned.

Outside from lots of good Braxton, the Sun Ra in La Fenice is really nice for a rare solo piano disc, the Ganelin trio as mentioned (from the great Ancora da capo to their recent co-production with a bookstore in Shenzhen, China, which is also a nicely produced record), the Evan Parker 50th birthday concert is a high energy date and great record, some early Mat Maneri, Joelle Léandre (the recent 14 rue Paul Fort is very nicely recorded), Nabatov's A few incidences, Gebbhard Ullmann... There are many good ones to pick. I will certainly get some of the Shipp/ Perelman batch among a few others.

15 hours ago, Dmitry said:

That makes this sale pretty unattractive to me. 

I've taken advantage of this sale for the past two years and bought at least 2 dozen titles.  Only the previously mentioned two titles were CD-R's, but that is 2 too many.  You're probably safe with recent releases and less popular (as these things go) titles, but it is a gamble.  I may order yet, but only with a request to not send any CD-R's, and plenty of alternate titles.  Still, the disappointment that comes with opening a disc and seeing that it is a CD-R is causing hesitation.

BTW, a few months ago, I bought several Victo titles and one (William Parker's "For Percy Heath") was a green CD-R.  Fortunately, the good people at Squidco allowed me to return it.

Aaron