Thelonious Monk, Piano Solo, Paris 1954 - Centennial Edition

king ubu

81daTO-JSGL._SL1500_.jpg

Monk's first and arguably finest solo record has been reissued recently with some intriguing (but probably not very good) bonus tracks from the concerts he was brought over for (the album was a by-product only I assume). His French accompanists (Jean-Marie Ingrand on bass and Jean-Louis Viale on drums, the later replaced prob. by Gérard "Dave" Pochonet on the last incomplete track) had a hard time it seems to figure out what was happening ...

71PLughrVuL._SL1500_.jpg

Have bought the CD in Milan on Sunday (was there to hear the new Sciarrino opera at La Scala) and will only be able to listen once back home (Wednesday evening earliest, still in Ferrara now, the most beautiful city on the planet :wub:)

Found this review though:

http://www.londonjazznews.com/2017/09/cd-review-thelonious-monk-centennial.html?m=1

9 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I think the bonus material is in surprisingly good sound and really the accompaniment doesn't matter much, Monk is clearly "on" and having a good time and it's a good listen.

Okay, great! After reading the review above I kinda lowered my expectations, but seems that was unnecessary then - all the better!

And yes, it's cheap. 7€ in the store I think. No wonder majors don't do jaz reissues any more when they're practicality giving them away from day one (Miles' "Bitches Brew Live" was another sich case, Sony as well).

2 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

I love that cover. Although I think I have it with a different cover, it was also a Vogue and piano solo (I speak from memory. Will have to check the dates).

I have a copy of the Vogue/Swing 10 inch LP version - credited to one ‘Theolonious Monk’.

Edited by sidewinder

6 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Your favourite city? So you probably know the films Antonioni (who was from Ferrara) shot there?

Back in Zurich by now ... starting a new job tomorrow ... I know most of Antonioni's films, have some gaps in the early ones. Anyway, maybe my favourite director if I had to pick just one. So yeah, fits well :) 

I gave the Vogue CD reissue I have from 96 a relisten. And although the main cover, which features a Leloir pic, is different, the original cover is reproduced inside the digipack. Although it is credited to one Francis Wolfe. Well, the picture of Monk. And I wonder if it is Francis Wolff. It could be possible.

The original Vogue cover had some creative spelling for Monk's first name:

THELONIOUS_MONK_PIANO%2BSOLO-594488.jpg

The EP corrected it, while using alternate song titles:

thelonious-monk-smoke-gets-in-your-eyes-

And iTunes offers this rare Monk gem:

1200x630bb.jpg

And ... Vogue also issued this The(lonious) Monk(s) record during The High Priest's "jerk" period.

R-7042280-1464987160-7376.jpeg.jpg

12 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Like the sound of the solo tracks, and like and understand Monk's playing much more than the last time I listened to this. Sometimes time does tell.

My view too.  Especiallyas my copy of the solo tracks were on a very poor sounding vinyl album which didn't encourage listening.  Listening to this issue is like hearing the music for the first time.