JSngry

He has a place in the history for sure

Great jazz album: Tones For Jones Bones

Great trio record: Now He Sings Now He Sobs

Great fusion record: Romantic Warrior

Great something record: Three Quartets

Great sideman: Miles Davis, Stan Getz

Great live recording: with Joe Henderson at Montreaux, incredible stuff

Immediately recognizable classic tune: Spain (for better or worse)

That's enough I think

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chick Corea was the first modern pianist whose material became familiar to me right after Art Tatum's solo cds.A friend of mine introduced Chick's music to me in 1991 and since then I've been his fan.

In my opinion Chick's career peaked around 1973 with his RTF albums.The first two RTF albums are my Desert Islands discs.I've been playing them for years and I never seem to get tired of them.His ability to mix Mediterrarean influences with jazz is unique.There is also something about his playing.While I appreciate Keith Jarrett perhaps higher than Chick but on the other hand there is something very romantic or should I say timeless in Chick's playing.

Tones... is another killer album.I couldn't believe its intensity and sheer joy when I heard it first time.

Right after 1973 there's been more and less interesting Chick albums. I like his trio albums with Roy Haynes and Miroslav Vitous a lot but on the other hand I can't stand his "polished" albums of the 80s. Eye Of The Beholder is in my opinion a rather crappy album.Nothing makes me to listen to it again!

Rendezvous in New York was a good one.It's a far away being his prime playing Anyway...I'd give it 3.5/5 stars with Penguin Guide rating system.

Edited by Swinger

An overlooked gem from Chick, from as recently as 2000.

d712495x35v.jpg

AMG Review: Corea.Concerto

I've had a recording of this since it first came out, and I had the good fortune to hear Chick perform his piano concerto with the Kansas City Symphony, sometime during the 2000-2001 season. Although I don't think it's quite as 'deep' as I was hoping for, I do still find this work very worthy of repeated listens. His concerto is basically neo-classical, in the "Stravinsky" sense of that term -- though (as you might expect), his is way more melodic that Igor ever typically was.

( An aside: I'm still hoping that Jason Moran does a "jazz piano concerto" someday, maybe in 20 years. But until then, Chick's is probably the next best thing out there. )

As far as Chick's musical legacy goes... I think it all hangs on everything he did prior to about 1972. When I think of Chick, I almost exclusively think of all the different things he did, both as a solo-artist and sideman in the late 60's and very early 70's -- but especially his work with Miles - particularly on all those "lost quintet" recordings (bootlegs) that are floating about.

In my younger days, I remember owning a handful of Chick albums from the 80's and early 80's ("Akoustic Band" and "Alive" in particular), and although I sorta liked them a bit at the time, they fall pretty flat for me now.

When I'm surfing the used bins, looking for bargains, I usually skip most Chick recordings from the period of 1973-1998. He lost me after "Light as a Feather" (though I do like that album), and he doesn't get 'interesting' again for me again until his "Origin" recordings in 1998. (I'm not saying he didn't do anything of any value between '73-'98 -- just that most of it is of much less interest to me, at least based on what I've heard.)

PS: One exception to my prior statement -- the Chick and Herbie "duo piano" recordings from 1978 are pretty cool. B) :tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Rooster, i´m with you on this. Spain is one of my 10 favorite tracks of all time and i got this one instantly too when it was available. you have to listen to this very loud :tup

Light as a Feather is one of my desert island discs but Captain Marvel is terrific too (thanks to Tony Williams!!!) specially on this new Columbia reissue. My Spanish Heart has also interesting moments and of course the first album of Return To Forever is a masterpiece.

the Trios on ECM are good, Friends is great (horrible sound btw) and Crystal Silence is fantastic. Native Sense is also good.

from his GRP days i like both Akoustic Band discs and Expressions too, a great piano solo disc for me.

the stuff with Origin is top quality and the album Past,Present & Futures is soooo good and too well recorded!!

i love his work, i can recognize his distinctive sound anywhere and i do respect his continuous search of different musical horizons.

viva Armando!!!

Marcus Oliveira

Rooster Ties:

I usually skip Chick's 1973-1998 albums as well.I don't know what happened to him.Over 90% of the albums released during those years usually don't interested me a bit.Most of his albums made in the 80s sound really bad nowadays.I guess he was going through the same phase as most rock/pop artists who began their career in the 60s and when they faced the 80s,they were not encouraged to compose prime material,or if they were encouraged to compose good stuff,they were all watered down with synthesizers and those hip clothes. ;(

I guess Chick is in same position as Herbie Hancock is right now.They have both gone through their best days as composers and they just want to hold their old status as long as they can.It doesn't mean they are not interesting anymore but they usually rely on their older material when they play in concerts.

Not a fan of Chick Corea here. :(

Saw him live with Origin, some years ago (Auditorio de Madrid, by the end of the 90´s, I guess) and was very impressed by the overall sound of the group and by his playing. I remember it as a very good concert.

Oh, but I was so much older then, I´m younger than that now

Through the years I´ve picked a bunch of his albums, here and there, and I must recognize that I haven´t been impressed at all... not my kind of stuff... though the guy has been involved in many musical developments.

The only disc I really dig is "Now he sings, now he sobs", a great trio date. And from your comments, I´m sure I would like "Tones for Joan´s bones - Inner Space" (I don´t have this one).

But a classic such as RTF´s "Light as a feather" is so.... boring to me!!! That´s one of those classics you (I) can never get into!

And what to say about "Friends" or "My Spanish heart"... I can´t stand those two discs. They rarely, very rarely, are pulled off my shelves. <_<

Maybe I should explore him a bit more... :eye:

EKE, try "Song of Singing", that's another great trio record, with Holland and Altschul, this time.

Also, seeing that you listen to lots of hat these days, "Circle" might interest you, a great 2CD set by the collective of Braxton, Corea, Holland and Altschul.

If you're into more hardbop kind of sound, try "Tones for Joan' Bones", that's a good one, featuring Joe Farrell and Woody Shaw.

ubu

And what to say about "Friends" or "My Spanish heart"... I can´t stand those two discs. They rarely, very rarely, are pulled off my shelves. <_<

Inspired by this thread, I pulled my dusty copy of "My Spanish Heart" off the shelf on Saturday and gave it a whirl. There is a lot of impressive writing and playing on this album, but the voices and synthesizers sound incredibly dated to me, and make the music very difficult to listen to, for me. This album would be wonderful if they could re-record it without all that stuff. <_<

I'll admit that I haven't heard too much of Chick Corea's work. I'm most familiar with his work with Blue Mitchell and Cal Tjader, and then a few of his solo albums: "Now He Sings...," "It," "Song of Singing." I really enjoy all of what I have. I've listened to sound clips of his early 70's electronic stuff, and it just doesn't interest me that much. Maybe I'll have to pick one of those albums up sometime, but it's way down on the list of priorities.

EKE, try "Song of Singing", that's another great trio record, with Holland and Altschul, this time.

Also, seeing that you listen to lots of hat these days, "Circle" might interest you, a great 2CD set by the collective of Braxton, Corea, Holland and Altschul.

If you're into more hardbop kind of sound, try "Tones for Joan' Bones", that's a good one, featuring Joe Farrell and Woody Shaw.

ubu

Thanks, ubu. Following your recommendations, I will give Chick Corea another chance. ;)

Too bad that the two Elektra/Musician albums by The Griffith Park Collection (Chick, Freddie, JoeHen, S. Clarke, & L. White) haven't made it to CD. That stuff was a big-time return to form of Corea as a probing, ahead-of-the-curve acoustic "advanced inside" player w/o any "concepts" attached, which is how I personally like him best.

Yep, those Griffith Park LPs are pretty good.

It's funny about Corea because as someone who is so very talented, has played on so many influential and essential recordings, and who's written such great compositions ("Spain" is one of the stone jazz classics of the 70's), he isn't someone I think about very often. Someone above suggested that it may be because he's "dabbled" in so many different styles and contexts that it's hard to pin him down as an artist with a singular identity. Perhaps this is true, hoewever unfair it might be.

I may be wrong, but I think the only recording of that group to hit cd so far is 'Echoes of an Era', with Chake Khan added asa vocalist. I don't think the instrumental dates have been issued on cd yet.

That's the one I was thinking of...and there's a live lp by the same group that I don't think has made it to cd.

I didn't know there were 2 more by the same group, but without Chaka. That's worh seeking out.

In the long run, I am somewhat disappointed of his career. After a great start, playing with great leaders - Mongo Santamaria, Herbie Mann, Willie Bobo, Blue Mitchell, Miles Davis, Stan Getz - and very good leader dates including that outrageous opus IS and the cooperative unit Circle - he didn't exactly go commercial, but I miss that adventurous element.

The first Return to Forever album was nice, but the second was a little bland, and the electric band was too bombastic - I once saw them live on a festival where the Mahavishnu Orchestra also played, and the differences were telling.

He can play, but seems to take few chances, and his most interesting compositions were written before 1974. That successful adaptation of the Spanish idiom may be his most important contribution.

When I saw the duo with Herbie Hancock live on TV, I found him too predictable and too much after catching the audience.

I find Herbie Hancock to be taking more chances, and a much more interesting soloist on an average, despite both commercial for parts of their career.

There must have been a considerable change in Corea's mindeset: Anybody here remember the original foldout LP cover of Noe he sings, now he sobs? There were some pretty deep references to East Asian philosophy and religion. Doesn't he want to read about this anymore since he has joined Scientology? I am aware his membership in this organization is much more of an issue here in Germany where there were frequent accusations for using brainwashing techniques and sect characteristics of Scientology, leading to attempts to boycott some Corea concerts here. I can't help but think that the ideology of that grouping has played a part in his success story. At least his membership is not sympathetic to me.

There must have been a considerable change in Corea's mindeset: Anybody here remember the original foldout LP cover of Noe he sings, now he sobs? There were some pretty deep references to East Asian philosophy and religion. Doesn't he want to read about this anymore since he has joined Scientology? I am aware his membership in this organization is much more of an issue here in Germany where there were frequent accusations for using brainwashing techniques and sect characteristics of Scientology, leading to attempts to boycott some Corea concerts here. I can't help but think that the ideology of that grouping has played a part in his success story. At least his membership is not sympathetic to me.

Maybe he's got no money left to buy books, since he gives it to Mr. L. Ron Hubbard or whatshisnameagain...

No sympathies for this from me, either - but I guess we're much more severe about these issues here in Europe (anyway, I'm glad we are).

How's "Echoes of an Era"? I saw it in stores several times. Anyone cares to comment?

ubu

I like it quite a bit. Chakka sings the songs better than you might expect, and the band is in fine fettle. Pretty fun date, and it satisfies that bigger-than-a-snack-smaller-than-a-meal appetite just dandy.You'll be hungry again in an hour or two, but not frustratingly so.

I like it quite a bit. Chakka sings the songs better than you might expect, and the band is in fine fettle. Pretty fun date, and it satisfies that bigger-than-a-snack-smaller-than-a-meal appetite just dandy.You'll be hungry again in an hour or two, but not frustratingly so.

Thanks for these culinaria, Jim! Think I gotta get it some fine day!

ubu

Edited by king ubu

Must say that Chick Corea being a proselyter for the so-called Church of Scientology bothers me a lot when I listen to his music. And I have found lately that his music inspires me less and less in view of the beliefs he espouses. Also the fact that several of his albums have been dedicated to that crook Ron Hubbard keeps me away from his music.

At least, Lee Konitz put a stop to his connection to that sect.

In France, Scientology is classified as a sect, a more radical attitude than in Germany as Mikeweil mentioned earlier. The scientology advocates here try to fight that view with all the money they manage to squeeze from their followers. Fortunately they remain branded as the sect they are.

I am sure that Corea's convictions are sincere and honest but that does not make their expression palatable to me.

Corea was one of the first jazz pianists I discovered, and I discovered him playing Fender Rhodes on "Light As A Feather." The generous, melodic lyricism, that beautiful, light but still cooking Brazilian swing, Flora Purim's singing--all that had a profound influence in weaning me off blues-rock guitar heroes and substituting a jazz jones instead.

Later I explored, more or less simultaneously, his past and his ongoing present: on the one hand his work with Miles, Circle and the Vitous/Haynes and Holland/Altschul trios, and on the other electric RTF. By the time Romantic Warrior came along, I was growing skeptical, and after Romantic Warrior I wasn't buying it anymore. I kind of dug some of the stuff on "My Spanish Heart" (which as someone else mentioned now sounds embarassingly dated) and that was that. Those bands with Pattitucci and Weckl were light years away from my preoccupations as a listener, and I felt that despite his undeniable brilliance as an instrumentalist he was basically just hamming it up for years.

He seems to be returning to the fold now, which is a fine thing. I saw the tribute-to-Bud-Powell band in concert, and while it had its problems as a concept, I was again impressed at what a motherfucker of a pianist he is. Christian McBride was bopping along on bass and the kids (Roney and Redman) were out front soloing and being little stars, and meanwhile Corea and Haynes were in constant eye contact and wailing away against each other, jousting and playing games and one-upping each other in as hip a way as you can imagine. They were right in the heart of joyful, playful, carnal swing, and there aren't that many piano players who can give Roy Haynes a run for his money.

I haven't checked out Origin and his new trio as much as I should have yet.

• 1 month later...

QUESTION 1:

Do you know any complete (well, at least nearly complete) discography of his sideman dates from the sixties? I got some of those brilliant dates with Hubert Laws, Stan Getz, Cal Tjader etc. and I really need to find them all!

QUESTION 2:

While I’m waiting for Mr. Cuscuna to produce a 2CD Conn of this material, what’s the best way to get these pre-Circle 1970 sessions?

CHICK COREA TRIO

Chick Corea -p, Dave Holland -b, Barry Altschul -d

NYC, April 7, 1970

Toy Room

Flesh

Nefertiti

Blue Connotation

-----------------------------

CHICK COREA TRIO

Chick Corea -p, per, Dave Holland -b, per, Barry Altschul -d, per

NYC, April 8, 1970

Ballad, I

Rhymes

Ballad, III

Drone

CHICK COREA TRIO

Anthony Braxton -as, fl, cl, cbcl, Chick Corea -p, per, Dave Holland -b, cello, g

NYC, August 13, 1970

Duet for Bass and Piano, No. 1

Duet for Bass and Piano, No. 2

Dance for Clarinet and Piano, No. 1

Dance for Clarinet and Piano, No. 2

Chimes, Pt. 1

Chimes, Pt. 2

CHICK COREA QUARTET

Anthony Braxton -as, fl, cl, cbcl, Chick Corea -p, per, Dave Holland -b, cello, g, Barry Altschul -d, per

NYC, August 19, 1970

Starp

73-A Kalvin

Ballad

Percussion Piece

CHICK COREA QUARTET

Anthony Braxton -as, ss, cl, cbcl, Chick Corea -p, prepared piano, vib, per, bass mar, Dave Holland -b, g, Barry Altschul -d, per, mar

NYC, August 21, 1970

Quartet Piece, No. 1

Quartet Piece, No. 2

Quartet Piece, No. 3

Thanks!

I also (more or less) subscribe to the idea that Chick Corea's best work was recorded before the mid-70s, but I recently put on Hymn to the Seventh Galaxy and that's a great album. Some good tunes and terrific Fender Rhodes playing by Chick. Something bad happened to that band when Bill Connors was replaced by Al DiMeola.

Guy