Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 6

bluesoul

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎14‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 8:24 PM, gvopedz said:

My guess is that Sony Columbia will include the Concertgebouw appearance in a subsequent volume of the Bootleg series.

That would be nice ... but they'd really need to do a second Lost Quintet box as well then ... not sure either will happen.

--

@hbbfam TCB has released (from the source and I guess about as official as these radio Releases get) the Zurich concert, which had been booted by Storyville's sublabel Jazz Unlimited and now is part of a Storyville two-disc reissue which also has "Miscellaneous Miles", another Jazz Unlimited disc). To my ears, sound on TCB is glorious (and pretty muddy on Storyville, though I did not get the 2CD set, just had the old JU release of the Zurich concert).

Then there is the Cologne set without Miles - WDR Jazzline has reissued that one, but still in pretty muddy Sound and with fake-applause (it was a studio/radio production that was then broadcst as a concert, don't ask me why, the new reissue does not mention any of this, so it's lacking in the documentation department, too ...)

Other than that, yep, Scheveningen is the blatant omission ... the long and amazing "So What" from that concert has been released on the silly Anniversary set of "Kind of Blue", but the rest of the concert can only be had on bootlegs. The Amsterdam concert, I think, took part late that same night, and it's very relaxed (as is Zurich, which I prefer over Amsterdam, Zurich has one of the grooviest ever takes on "All Blues"!), while Scheveningen is full of fire. Not sure why Sony decided against that, they could have left off

On 12/13/2017 at 7:29 PM, hbbfam said:

How does the sound quality of this one compare to "Live In Stockhom" (which I consider excellent, and far better than "All of You: The Last Tour")?

Of all the officially released material from the April 1960 tour, the Concertgebouw CD sounds worst imo. Horns clearly audible, drums poorly captured. Coltrane's playing is also lackluster compared to Scheveningen and Paris. The concert was short, only 4 lengthy tracks on CD 1, plus a 50 sec introduction and The Theme (57 sec.). CD 1 tracks 7 & 8 and CD 2 are all from October 1960 (Sonny Stitt).

Quality reissue, but not essential.

Edited by erwbol

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

Of all the officially released material from the April 1960 tour, the Concertgebouw CD sounds worst imo. Horns clearly audible, drums poorly captured. Coltrane's playing is also lackluster compared to Scheveningen and Paris. The concert was short, only 4 lengthy tracks on CD 1, plus a 50 sec introduction and The Theme (57 sec.). CD 1 tracks 7 & 8 and CD 2 are all from October 1960 (Sonny Stitt).

Quality reissue, but not essential.

Agreed on all points (some already made in my own post above) -- but, BUT: I just love the recordings from the fall tour with Stitt - I only have those three that are/were readily available (Paris, Stockholm and Amsterdam), would love to hear more! Miles is playing hard (he is not with Coltrane, he just gets out of the way many times), Kelly is playing great, too ... I guess the lack of a sidekick that kicked his ass regularly made Miles play better, try some new stuff or just stick to it harder than he had to with Coltrane still around. And it works. Also works at Carnegie Hall with Mobley, I feel (less so on the Black Hawk sets, which I took quite a while to warm to, and they're still not favourites -- but then "Someday My Prince Will Come" is wonderful, and it's a disgrace that Mosaic/Sony/MD clan failed to collect the Mobley period into a box in that great series ... that was really a postumous finger for Mobley, and that's totally not deserved).

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

Miles had to play at a higher level with Stitt. Stitt was just phoning it in to pick up a paycheck, so someone had to do the work.

Oh well ... Stitt even when phoning in has the occasional brilliant Moment, and his sound on tenor is just so good ... but I don't feel like he's just phoning in with Miles. Don't feel that about Mobley or George Coleman either (and sure, the later had the advantage of a mind-blowing, or rather: arse-kicking rhythm section, so he *had* to react). Yet still None of them were the inspiring presence that Coltrane was, or that Shorter would later become.

5 hours ago, king ubu said:

... Also works at Carnegie Hall with Mobley, I feel (less so on the Black Hawk sets, which I took quite a while to warm to, and they're still not favourites -- but then "Someday My Prince Will Come" is wonderful, and it's a disgrace that Mosaic/Sony/MD clan failed to collect the Mobley period into a box in that great series ... that was really a postumous finger for Mobley, and that's totally not deserved).

Didn't they remaster everything with Hank Mobley for release on CD in the space of a couple of years? Sure, it was not a metal spine set, but they restored every excised/shortened Mobley solo on the Blackhawk sets. What previously unreleased material was left to make a box set feasible? 

Edited by erwbol

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

Didn't they remaster everything with Hank Mobley for release on CD in the space of a couple of years? Sure, it was not a metal spine set, but they restored every excised/shortened Mobley solo on the Blackhawk sets. What previously unreleased material was left to make a box set feasible? 

The non-Coltrane material from Some Day My Prince Will Come has never been boxed. 

3 hours ago, GA Russell said:

The price has been reduced $10 to $39.99 today.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077ZCTV18/

Pre-order low on Amazon UK including VAT and shipping to the Netherlands is £16.97 thus far.

4 hours ago, medjuck said:

The non-Coltrane material from Some Day My Prince Will Come has never been boxed. 

True, but the single disc reissue from 2002 or so can be bought for a couple of dollars and probably contains all the available outtakes. So between that reissue, the restored Blackhawk sets, and At Carnegie Hall, is there anything else with Mobley that has failed to see the light of day?

A great extra to those three items is the early 90s MFSL CD of Someday My Prince Will Come which contains the original Teo Macero mix and sounds superb.

17 hours ago, king ubu said:

That would be nice ... but they'd really need to do a second Lost Quintet box as well then ... not sure either will happen.

--

@hbbfam TCB has released (from the source and I guess about as official as these radio Releases get) the Zurich concert, which had been booted by Storyville's sublabel Jazz Unlimited and now is part of a Storyville two-disc reissue which also has "Miscellaneous Miles", another Jazz Unlimited disc). To my ears, sound on TCB is glorious (and pretty muddy on Storyville, though I did not get the 2CD set, just had the old JU release of the Zurich concert).

Then there is the Cologne set without Miles - WDR Jazzline has reissued that one, but still in pretty muddy Sound and with fake-applause (it was a studio/radio production that was then broadcst as a concert, don't ask me why, the new reissue does not mention any of this, so it's lacking in the documentation department, too ...)

Other than that, yep, Scheveningen is the blatant omission ... the long and amazing "So What" from that concert has been released on the silly Anniversary set of "Kind of Blue", but the rest of the concert can only be had on bootlegs. The Amsterdam concert, I think, took part late that same night, and it's very relaxed (as is Zurich, which I prefer over Amsterdam, Zurich has one of the grooviest ever takes on "All Blues"!), while Scheveningen is full of fire. Not sure why Sony decided against that, they could have left off

TCB refers to which release?