Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 6

bluesoul

Just wanted to thank you for the help with the pre-order price link.  Much appreciated.  I have all of this already but hoping for the best sound upgrade myself.  Excited for this since I've been reading Richard Cook's It's About That Time book this week.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Anyone else joined Vinyl me please for the Miles Paris Bootleg? Joined in December and received Miles's Sorcerer and was surprised how much I enjoyed.

Looking forward to this being available to order on Feb  1st. Going to wait and see on complete cd box set as I have Dragon release and its sounds good to my ears.

Edited by Gdgray
wrong month

We were just talking about this on Facebook.

Hank with Miles is Blackhawk, Carnegie and Someday My Prince. But Hank was in the band from late 1960 to late 1962, apparently. Are there really no other recordings with Mobley? Not even an audience boot?

Let's no even talk about the band with Strozier...

On 1/28/2018 at 0:57 PM, bertrand said:

Hank with Miles is Blackhawk, Carnegie and Someday My Prince. But Hank was in the band from late 1960 to late 1962, apparently. Are there really no other recordings with Mobley? Not even an audience boot?

Someday My Prince Will Come.   (oops just noticed you listed that.)

Edited by medjuck

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 2:57 PM, bertrand said:

Well, of COURSE there is!

MI0000070092.jpg

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Disco.aspx?id=Transition

I think I only lisened to it once due to tape flutter or something. That and it's essentially the same shit as all the other such gigs.

oh wait, it IS the same as the other such gigs, no wonder. But also no wonder, that band did not present an infinite variety of expressions, if you know what I mean.

On 1/29/2018 at 0:57 PM, bertrand said:

Apparently not.

1 hour ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Saw him a few times and the first time he offered to break my arm. :-)

He told Wayne Shorter not to let me interview him -- his actual hoarse words at the Plugged Nickel were "Don't tell him anything, Wayne!" This startled  the hell out of me -- my back was turned -- but little did I know that at least by that time Wayne wasn't inclined to obey Miles' orders, if he ever was. The next day we did the interview (actually it was a virtual monologue on Wayne's part) that lasted about ninety minutes. Because it was a virtual monologue, we printed it under Wayne's name and paid him for it (this was at Down Beat in 1969, when I was the new kid there).

On 2/16/2018 at 6:17 PM, JSngry said:

What about the band with Jimmy Heath, wasn't he in there for a quick minute post-Mobley?

He was in quite briefly pre-Mobley, 1959, but was told by his probation officer that he couldn’t travel with the band. I’m pretty certain he at least played the French Lick jazz festival here in Indiana with Miles in late summer 1959. But was he also on board again at all during the undocumented 1962 J.J. Johnson period?

Maybe just maybe that band  with Hank and JJ if anything existed would be released in a future volume I wonder.  I would think a radio station somewhere would have taped a few gigs.  That'd be interesting, but so far it seems they are sticking with things like the Second Quintet, Trane.  When I interviewed Vince and Erin in 2015, they did say they go through a lot of tapes and have rejected a lot of things.

• 3 weeks later...

Just received Paris vinyl from vinyl  me please.

Played first two sides and very impressed with sound. Rhythm section is tight. Miles’s solos are pure Miles. Trane’s solos are long and so good.

Now thinking about buying Copenhagen on vinyl or the CD box.

On 2/22/2018 at 1:36 PM, CJ Shearn said:

Maybe just maybe that band  with Hank and JJ if anything existed would be released in a future volume I wonder.  I would think a radio station somewhere would have taped a few gigs.  That'd be interesting, but so far it seems they are sticking with things like the Second Quintet, Trane.  When I interviewed Vince and Erin in 2015, they did say they go through a lot of tapes and have rejected a lot of things.

Have any of the live recordings that have been released in this series NOT been either recorded by Columbia or already widely circulated?

Guy

5 hours ago, Guy Berger said:

Have any of the live recordings that have been released in this series NOT been either recorded by Columbia or already widely circulated?

Guy

You know, not sure.  I think most of it probably has.  I don't think anything in the Live in Europe 1967 box was recorded by Columbia, but they were widely circulated.  I'd have to check the Losin discography.