Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 6

bluesoul

41 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Now those prices are back down again. This is weird. I looked the other day and they were higher. Is there more than one product listing?

Oh well, I have one on order. No use worrying now...

Did you make sure they were CD and not LP? I saw a LP box on Amazon for $15 Saturday. CD box was stil $49.98. 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

That's good. I was more wondering about the price fluctuations Kevin had observed. 

Plus I have most or all of these concerts on various grey area issues over the years but I want to hear this music in hopefully better sound. Plus I’m hoping it awakens a bit of a dormant fire which is at a low low simmer these days for historical Miles & Coltrane music. I’m mostly in a current free jazz/improv listening mode along with massive amounts of Grateful Dead music and I’ve been in that mode for 2-3 years now.

4 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Plus I have most or all of these concerts on various grey area issues over the years but I want to hear this music in hopefully better sound. Plus I’m hoping it awakens a bit of a dormant fire which is at a low low simmer these days for historical Miles & Coltrane music. I’m mostly in a current free jazz/improv listening mode along with massive amounts of Grateful Dead music and I’ve been in that mode for 2-3 years now.

Pretty much describes me perfectly! I have a friend that is getting his feet wet in the Coltrane Ocean. So after several coaching sessions with him, I realized that even though I have over 100 discs with his name attached, and gave my son Coltrane as a middle name, I’ve not truly spent an extended period of time with his music in the past two decades! 

And almost all my critical listening time is spent listening to Free Improv these days. 

Now, I don’t know that this box set will change any of that in a significant way, but at least the Olympia date is one hell of a ride! 

21 minutes ago, bluesoul said:

Enjoy these sets while they last.  

The article also states, though, that  "The insider stressed that the company will continue to release lavish boxed sets and other physical product, but it has moved to correct that imbalance."

There's no doubt that streaming has become the delivery method of choice for many consumers, especially younger ones.  But I have no interest in spending $25-$50 or whatever it might cost to buy a digital or streaming version of a Miles Davis box-set and have to peruse the liner notes in some online manner.  (I also have a big ethical issue with Spotify, given the jazz musicians I've talked to, Ken Vandermark among them, who despise its compensation system.  Spotify, at the very least, needs to increase its monthly subscription fee so that it can pay better musician/composer royalties.  The present model is evidently paltry in that regard.) I'm not really the kind of customer that Sony is probably concerned with in the long run, though, given my age and tastes.  I'll obviously have to use streaming more and more to encounter new artists and occasionally to explore past ones with whom I'm not familiar, but for the most part I can easily draw on my existing library for the the (hopefully) next several decades of my life.  Now if my CD player goes and it proves to be impossible to acquire a new one... well then, I'm in big trouble.  :g (Not a completely implausible scenario in a few years! It's already not all that easy to find one anymore.)  

4 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Prince of darkness?

Miles meets Prince

Edited by ghost of miles

9 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

The article also states, though, that  "The insider stressed that the company will continue to release lavish boxed sets and other physical product, but it has moved to correct that imbalance."

Yes, and I hope that is true.  But it doesn't seem unreasonable to think the "imbalance" could swing farther over to the streaming side of things, IMO.  We'll see.  

I think this Bootleg Series has been pretty terrific overall, and am pleasantly surprised that it has continued all the way to a sixth volume.   If this is it, then it's been a nice little run. 

20 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

But I have no interest in spending $25-$50 or whatever it might cost to buy a digital or streaming version of a Miles Davis box-set and have to peruse the liner notes in some online manner.  (I also have a big ethical issue with Spotify, given the jazz musicians I've talked to, Ken Vandermark among them, who despise its compensation system.

First things first. It's $10 a month to stream Apple Music or Spotify premium, and you can listen to it on a continuous loop if you want. Though I do get the liner notes thing, which is why I'm considering getting a physical copy of this particular set. Something I hardly ever do anymore. 

Second, if Vandermark hasn't learned by now, like his fellow musicians have, that you're only going to pay the bills by touring/playing live, then fuck him. He's also perfectly free to pull all of his material from any and all streaming services. 

Just picked up Copenhagen Exclusive at Barnes & Nobles in red vinyl.  Reviews on Amazon were complaining about mastering so decided to give this a try. Just finished listening and mastering sounds fine. 

Olympia show is definitely a different Coltrane. Now I am trying to decide if I need CD box. Have Dragon box.

Edited by Gdgray

5 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

First things first. It's $10 a month to stream Apple Music or Spotify premium, and you can listen to it on a continuous loop if you want. Though I do get the liner notes thing, which is why I'm considering getting a physical copy of this particular set. Something I hardly ever do anymore. 

Second, if Vandermark hasn't learned by now, like his fellow musicians have, that you're only going to pay the bills by touring/playing live, then fuck him. He's also perfectly free to pull all of his material from any and all streaming services. 

I'd've thought that Vandermark's been ahead of that curve for some time now. Just look at his live schedule. He was also quick to embrace Bandcamp and set up a collective label/distribution/online shop with McPhee, Brotzmann et al. All of which doesn't mean he can't be negative about Spotify's business model if he wishes - he's not the only one

anyway, we digress.  Apologies, back to boxsets

Edited by mjazzg

36 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I also have a big ethical issue with Spotify, given the jazz musicians I've talked to, Ken Vandermark among them, who despise its compensation system.  Spotify, at the very least, needs to increase its monthly subscription fee so that it can pay better musician/composer royalties.  The present model is evidently paltry in that regard.

Look at Spotify's financials. If they pull in any more money, it's only going into their pockets so that they can stay afloat. They can't afford to give any more money to the artists because they still aren't making money themselves.

I figure it's only a matter of time before Spotify folds. Pretty soon, it'll probably be iTunes or nobody.

6 minutes ago, Gdgray said:

Olympia show is definitely a different Coltrane. 

Odd as it sounds, I'm almost afraid to listen to the Olympia date again any time soon. I never want that shock and surprise to wear off as all of his other playing eventually did because I listened to it nonstop for years. It seems as though this is my last opportunity to truly be blown away by Coltrane, and I don't want to see it pass. Although I know it will... :( 

mjazzg, I get what you're saying, and agree to a certain extent. But pull your stuff if you're unhappy with a distributors business model. Simply complaining about it without taking action rings pretty damned hollow, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

Odd as it sounds, I'm almost afraid to listen to the Olympia date again any time soon. I never want that shock and surprise to wear off as all of his other playing eventually did because I listened to it nonstop for years. It seems as though this is my last opportunity to truly be blown away by Coltrane, and I don't want to see it pass. Although I know it will... :( 

mjazzg, I get what you're saying, and agree to a certain extent. But pull your stuff if you're unhappy with a distributors business model. Simply complaining about it without taking action rings pretty damned hollow, IMO. 

Looking at how many Vandermark albums are available on Spotify UK, just 13 of 50+ titles on Discogs, I suspect he's already done so, apart from with labels he's unable to influence. There's nothing from any label's he's been involved insetting up. If there's a musician who's walked the talk over the last 20 years, it's Vandermark. Just thought the "fuck him" was a bit harsh. Now I promise not to digress again

I really should listen to this release you're all raving about :rolleyes:

No digression, we can walk and chew gum at the same time. This isn't the Hoffman forums. ;)

And I'll grant that perhaps "fuck him" is a bit harsh, but it just gets old after a while. I counted 19 titles of his on Apple Music, BTW. 

19 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Look at Spotify's financials. If they pull in any more money, it's only going into their pockets so that they can stay afloat. They can't afford to give any more money to the artists because they still aren't making money themselves.

I figure it's only a matter of time before Spotify folds. Pretty soon, it'll probably be iTunes or nobody.

To build on this point: https://www.recode.net/2018/2/28/17063892/spotify-ipo-margins-music-labels-streaming

Spotify will eventually have to end their free service. Apple Music and Tidal don't even offer one. 

My band has 1 million spotify streams

Spotify's year in music shows just how little we're paying artists

Etc, etc.  I could post a bunch of these.  Btw Ken Vandermark has toured incessantly over the past 20 years.  One reason it's harder for artists like him (and he's one of the much-better known musicians, and has a wife with a professional gig) is that people don't buy much physical product anymore.  He told me that he and other artists are selling about a fourth of what they used to sell in merch at shows 10, 15, or 20 years ago.  

I'm not trying to come down on anybody else who uses Spotify--my best friend has been trying to convert me for years now, and there are a lot of posters here who use it.  I just don't want to go there, for a variety of reasons.  If I do listen to an artist's music on a streaming site (YouTube, for example) and like it, then I usually go and buy the CD at Landlocked or order it online (recent examples:  I bought both CDs by the Atlanta indie-pop group Omni, and all three released CDs by an English duo that just broke up, Ultimate Painting).  I don't think most people who stream do that, though. 

Technological change in how we encounter music inevitably occurs.  Some will still seek out vinyl, some will still seek out CDs.  I just want a model that's more financially supportive of artists in general, instead of one that suggests that music should be free or nearly-free.  It hurts small-label owners, people like Chuck Nessa, as well.

Another jazz artist, a guitarist whose releases do fairly well and whom I don't want to name because I don't know if he'd want to be on the record or not, says thumbs-up to iTunes, thumbs-down to Spotify when it comes to artist compensation.  

Edited by ghost of miles

Seems the story never changes, the artist gets hosed. The industry decides what media we can have music on.

I have two teenagers and they are in the streaming , social media world. If it doesn’t fit on phone or smart book they have no interest.

I personally don’t want anyone to dictate what media I use and they can forget trying to figure out what I will buy. I am not their demographic. I will continue to listen and look at forums like this. I have lurked around forums from Blue Note and  All About  Jazz in the past. Some current  members from this board have influenced what music I have purchased over the years. 

I think the Dead/Rhino folks have figured it out. Market to the serious demented 15-18 k fans and we will buy everything they put out.

I am ready for more Miles.

49 minutes ago, Gdgray said:

Seems the story never changes, the artist gets hosed. The industry decides what media we can have music on.

I have two teenagers and they are in the streaming , social media world. If it doesn’t fit on phone or smart book they have no interest.

I personally don’t want anyone to dictate what media I use and they can forget trying to figure out what I will buy. I am not their demographic. I will continue to listen and look at forums like this. I have lurked around forums from Blue Note and  All About  Jazz in the past. Some current  members from this board have influenced what music I have purchased over the years. 

I think the Dead/Rhino folks have figured it out. Market to the serious demented 15-18 k fans and we will buy everything they put out.

I am ready for more Miles.

Welcome, btw.

14 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

My band has 1 million spotify streams

Spotify's year in music shows just how little we're paying artists

Etc, etc.  I could post a bunch of these.  Btw Ken Vandermark has toured incessantly over the past 20 years.  One reason it's harder for artists like him (and he's one of the much-better known musicians, and has a wife with a professional gig) is that people don't buy much physical product anymore.  He told me that he and other artists are selling about a fourth of what they used to sell in merch at shows 10, 15, or 20 years ago.  

I'm not trying to come down on anybody else who uses Spotify--my best friend has been trying to convert me for years now, and there are a lot of posters here who use it.  I just don't want to go there, for a variety of reasons.  If I do listen to an artist's music on a streaming site (YouTube, for example) and like it, then I usually go and buy the CD at Landlocked or order it online (recent examples:  I bought both CDs by the Atlanta indie-pop group Omni, and all three released CDs by an English duo that just broke up, Ultimate Painting).  I don't think most people who stream do that, though. 

Technological change in how we encounter music inevitably occurs.  Some will still seek out vinyl, some will still seek out CDs.  I just want a model that's more financially supportive of artists in general, instead of one that suggests that music should be free or nearly-free.  It hurts small-label owners, people like Chuck Nessa, as well.

Another jazz artist, a guitarist whose releases do fairly well and whom I don't want to name because I don't know if he'd want to be on the record or not, says thumbs-up to iTunes, thumbs-down to Spotify when it comes to artist compensation.  

Did you read the story I linked to? It's not as though Spotify is swimming in money. 

Either way, I use Apple Music and wonder if that's what your Jazz guitarist friend was talking about. iTunes are downloads, Apple Music is their streaming service.