Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 6

bluesoul

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/30/2018 at 2:32 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Assuming that's from Stockholm, my god, that's driven me up a wall for 25 years now.  I don't mind the approach at all (the 'sound'), but that degree of repetition (of anything) just doesn't work for repeated spins.  Might have been a more positive(?) effect in the hall that night, but it's the kind of thing one could argue might need some trimming for release on record.  (Blasphemy, I know, but some judicious editing of some bass solos and/or drum solos (that really need it) have never bothered me.)

My 2 cents, FWIW.

Thanks for reminding me - I went and listened to my copy on Dragon, I love that shit!

On 3/30/2018 at 5:32 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

Assuming that's from Stockholm, my god, that's driven me up a wall for 25 years now.  I don't mind the approach at all (the 'sound'), but that degree of repetition (of anything) just doesn't work for repeated spins.  Might have been a more positive(?) effect in the hall that night, but it's the kind of thing one could argue might need some trimming for release on record.  (Blasphemy, I know, but some judicious editing of some bass solos and/or drum solos (that really need it) have never bothered me.)

My 2 cents, FWIW.

Part of me always wondered if that solo, 2 days after the crazy stuff in Paris that got hundreds to boo & walk out, wasn't partly a "fuck you" to Miles, who might have told him to not repeat what he did in Paris. I mean listen to how he starts that solo... almost bored. Then he does all that weird blowing in the middle there... very odd. It's probably one of Coltrane's weirdest solos.

1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Part of me always wondered if that solo, 2 days after the crazy stuff in Paris that got hundreds to boo & walk out, wasn't partly a "fuck you" to Miles, who might have told him to not repeat what he did in Paris. I mean listen to how he starts that solo... almost bored. Then he does all that weird blowing in the middle there... very odd. It's probably one of Coltrane's weirdest solos.

I've long wondered if somebody said something to Trane after that night, or if he himself got bruised by the mixed reaction. He was a sensitive guy, but like they say, don't mistake his kindness for weakness...

Part of me always wondered if that solo, 2 days after the crazy stuff in Paris that got hundreds to boo & walk out

Where did this info come from? 

20 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I've long wondered if somebody said something to Trane after that night, or if he himself got bruised by the mixed reaction. He was a sensitive guy, but like they say, don't mistake his kindness for weakness...

The way Miles dishes in his "autobiography", my guess is that if it was him, he'd have mentioned it in the book. For that matter, even if it wasn't, but he knew someone had said something, he'd have mentioned it. Just a hunch. 

I guess the whole controversy must be addressed in the new booklet, too? It looks great (as if they take better and mo' better care of that actually, as the series evolves ... first booklet was supposed to be lost, then they invented better sleeves, then they had cool design for lost q, then they had great design for Newport, then a small motivation crisis but still cool looks for FIllmore, and now again great design and lots of cool photos) but I haven't yet read anything in it.

However, this old post of mine quotes some excerpts from the old (early/mid 90s) french Europe1/Trema/RTF release of the two Paris concerts (discs 1 & 2 contain the March concerts with Coltrane, discs 3 & 4 the October concerts with Stitt):

I don't recall anything saying that hundreds walked out, maybe with that whistling, some did, but Ashley Khan's notes did not make mention of a mass exit.  I have to carefully go through the booklet again, I believe it makes specific reference to "split tones" in the "All Blues" solo.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Found the relevant passage describing the solo: "Then compare how Coltrane's far ranging solo on "All Blues", one tune later, replete with harmonic-rich, split-tone sequences inspires Kelly to go far-and wide himself-- from rootsy single lines, to sophisticated flourishes, rolling figures (drawing to mind Bill Evans's choice on the the original recording) and hard-hit chords to bring it to a dramatic close".

Never with a new release, but I have accidentally re-bought a title I already had on the shelf. As the years go on and the collection grows, this has happened more & more.

I have been duped by repackaging once or twice.

1 hour ago, charlesp said:

I have been duped by repackaging once or twice.

Only once or twice?? Several times for me, and yes, I've also forgotten and bought the same thing a couple of times.  I'm hopeless.

Now then, what the hell was my name again? Oh yeah...

gregmo

On 4/8/2018 at 8:05 PM, medjuck said:

Through my stupidity I now have two copies of this.  I'll send an un-open one to anyone who donates $25 to the board. (Which I see hasn't received any donations for a while.) You can pm me. 

Am I the only one who pre-ordered from Amazon UK who hasn't received it yet?

My problem is I received it twice.  They told me my credit card was no good so I opened a new account with a different e-mail.  Then I received the set from both accounts.  And they charged both accounts. 

Edited by medjuck

27 minutes ago, medjuck said:

My problem is I received it twice.  They told me my credit card was no good so I opened a new account with a different e-mail.  Then I received the set from both accounts.  And they charged both accounts. 

Um, that’s actually not on you, then.

Terrible customer service...

22 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Hooray!  Mine arrived today, so all is right with the world.

Still waiting on mine - preordered from Amazon UK at the beginning of the year. Order status says it was supposed to be here no later than last Friday, but once in a while it seems to take a lot longer than expected for orders from the UK to arrive here.