Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 6

bluesoul

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received mine a few days new at that nice low price

starting with the later 3/24 concert with So What, On Green Dolphin Street & All Blues 

I’ve heard all this before but unless I’m mistaken it seems the sound quality is much better than on any of the previous bootlegs & grey market issues I’ve heard.

It’s been a very long time since I’ve listened to this era Miles or Trane and they are sounding so in sync that it’s scary how great this group was. Miles is in superb form and we all know about Coltrane during these years. Kelly imo never played better than in the period and he sounds so assured on this show.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just got this set in the mail last night.  Enjoying discs 1 & 2 today, for the very first time (I've had Stockholm on CD since back in 1991, but Paris and Copenhagen are totally new to me).

Skimmed a whole bunch of reviews on my phone, during my commute this morning, and several mentioned that Wynton Kelly is really a surprise standout on some of these recordings (and I have to agree).

It'll be interesting to see if my impression of Miles' playing is different by the the 5th or 10th times I spin the Paris and Copenhagen sets.  On first spin, though, I'm left still thinking that Miles really delivered much stronger on the next European tour (with Sonny Stitt, in the Fall of 1960, iirc), at least from the Stockholm sets (with Stitt) that we all know.  That said, I'm listening again, and Miles does play better on the second Paris set (than the first), so that's good.

I'm not totally down with Trane's experiments, but neither are they totally off-putting either.  After 30 years, I've *still* never gotten bitten super hard by Trane's playing, but maybe eventually I'll succumb.  Not that my tastes are super conservative, but I've just never gotten super fanatical about Trane, the way I have 2-3 dozen other players (not all sax).

Next I need to spend some time with the liners, which I've barely skimmed 20% of.  Many thanks to a board member who just hooked me up with his copy.

PS:  I'm REALLY digging the Copenhagen set.  One review I read said that they had to move mountains to find the tapes (tape) for it, and only got it at the 11th hour.  But for my money -- again, this is just based on ONE spin of the first 2 discs -- but for my money, *Copenhagen* may be the most cohesive 'set' of the entire bunch.  Like the whole band seemed more on the same wavelength (or more so than Paris, or Stockholm).

PPS:  Ok, second time through the 2nd disc, and that Paris material (the second disc) is really clicking more for me this time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 1 year later...

According to the Miles Ahead website:

Miles Davis Bootleg Series RIP (October 2019)
It appears that the Sony/Columbia Legacy Miles Davis Bootleg Series has been terminated. Beginning in 2011 and continuing until 2018, Sony USA released six volumes of live and studio recordings. 
http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/mdNews.aspx

That's a real shame, but ...

Quote:"A volume covering the early 1980s was to include issued and unissued material from the Star People and Decoy sessions, along with some contemporary live performances, but that project has been canceled."

no way in hell I would have bought that.

46 minutes ago, erwbol said:

That's a real shame, but ...

Quote:"A volume covering the early 1980s was to include issued and unissued material from the Star People and Decoy sessions, along with some contemporary live performances, but that project has been canceled."

no way in hell I would have bought that.

Agreed on both.

1 hour ago, erwbol said:

There are two great Rotterdam performances left from 1967 and 1969. Both were rebroadcast by the BBC in the early 2000s, so the tapes must still exist. How about releasing those.

I believe the Rotterdam 1969 is being issued. Apparently Sony didn't have the "rights" to it.

That’s a real blow, they were quality releases, there must be tons of great material that is still worth reissuing.

i would like to see the sales numbers for them, the last one with Coltrane must have done pretty well surely, it got a ton of great press at the very least.

What with Dylan, the grateful Dead etc churning out endless reissues, is Miles really that far behind?

Edited by Harbour

54 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I honestly think the estate may have thrown a wrench in the works somehow.

The same estate that gets glorified in the liner notes to the new "Rubberband" disc ... actually I'd be curious to hear how those tapes sounded before the workover (which included, so the notes say, even note-for-note/tone-for-tone re-enactments on some tracks), that is beyond the couple of tracks that were included on the French Warner box ... but much more I'd have been interested in half a dozen or more further volumes of the MD bootleg series.