Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 6

bluesoul

3 minutes ago, bresna said:

Wasn't this whole bootleg series just a way to keep this stuff out of the public domain. Was it the EU that put in a "use it or lose it" clause? Whatever - I was under the impression that the Bob Dylan & Miles bootleg series were created to "use it" so that these recordings are now protected.

In part, I guess ... but the Dylan series has gone far beyond the copyright threshold (music from the 70s and 80s). Similar, but not as clearly, with the MD series.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, bresna said:

Wasn't this whole bootleg series just a way to keep this stuff out of the public domain. Was it the EU that put in a "use it or lose it" clause? Whatever - I was under the impression that the Bob Dylan & Miles bootleg series were created to "use it" so that these recordings are now protected.

Cannot be true. I don't recall such a clause as a key feature of the updated EU copyright law passed in 2012. (This would have made headlines within the music scne for sure) If I understood this correctly, these recordings were not issued before. So they do not even fall under the updated EU copyright law that came into effect in 2012 and will extend the copyright protection for recordings up to 70 instead of 50 years after they were first issued.
Besides, others from that series date from way after mid-1962, so even if the recording date would have been decisive (not the first release), these are protected by the current EU law in effect since 2012.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Cannot be true. I don't recall such a clause as a key feature of the updated EU copyright law passed in 2012. (This would have made headlines within the music scne for sure) If I understood this correctly, these recordings were not issued before. So they do not even fall under the updated EU copyright law that came into effect in 2012 and will extend the copyright protection for recordings up to 70 instead of 50 years after they were first issued.
Besides, others from that series date from way after mid-1962, so even if the recording date would have been decisive (not the first release), these are protected by the current EU law in effect since 2012.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/16/ec_copyright_term_extension/ 

As far as I can tell, Sony is issuing these Bob Dylan & Miles Davis recordings so that *they* retain the protections and to prevent Dylan & Davis' estate from profiting off of these works.

Info about that clause duly noticed .... but keeping the artists/estates out and preventing the music from falling into the P.D. isn't exactly the same thing, is it? Because if the artists/estates had regained control the music would not have returned to the P.D. either.

BTW, this source is from 2008, four years before the law actually went into effect. Did all this go through as planned? I am surprised this use it or lose it clause did not make huge headlines in 2012 (as it would have been bound to, because this clause took care of one of the major complaints by collectors - in any area of popular music).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

7 hours ago, Harbour said:

That’s a real blow, they were quality releases, there must be tons of great material that is still worth reissuing.

i would like to see the sales numbers for them, the last one with Coltrane must have done pretty well surely, it got a ton of great press at the very least.

What with Dylan, the grateful Dead etc churning out endless reissues, is Miles really that far behind?

Coltrane's "The Lost Album" sold over 250,000 copies.  There's still a market.

58 minutes ago, bresna said:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/16/ec_copyright_term_extension/ 

As far as I can tell, Sony is issuing these Bob Dylan & Miles Davis recordings so that *they* retain the protections and to prevent Dylan & Davis' estate from profiting off of these works.

Beach Boys and Motown have also had releases which were explicitly made for copyright protection.  And that was the case for the 36-CD Dylan live 1966 set, which contained some of the most horrible sounding recordings ever (as well as some marvelous ones).

If you read this carefully, it's obvious why Columbia would discontinue the Miles sets:

There are no immediate plans to end the Bootleg Series, but the steep decline in the market for physical product does put its future in some jeopardy. “We have to also see how long people keep buying these things,” says the source. “We’ll see what happens. Right now, there’s a certain amount of physical that still gets sold, so we’d like to keep doing them.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/bob-dylan-bootleg-series-johnny-cash-nashville-skyline-john-wesley-harding-886719/

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

Yes, I love it, but there are dozens of Jarrett sessions I love.

Me too, in several different styles.  The American Quartet, the European Quartet, the solo stuff, the long-running trio all have their merits, and are all very different from each other.

On 10/23/2019 at 5:13 AM, mikeweil said:

Jarrett surely wouldn't be delighted to hear them again.

Jarrett seemed fairly upbeat about this music around the time of the Cellar Box release.  (In the liner notes?  I don't remember.)  He would obviously take potshots at it because he can't help himself, but maybe leavened with positive comments.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

That Burton & Jarrett record is a classic of sorts. It's a pop record, almost, and that's not a dis.

IMHO, one of the best KJ albums on which Dewey Redman is not present

• 2 weeks later...

Pete Losin updated his website with a retraction:

Miles Davis Bootleg Series (October 2019)
Contrary to what I posted here several weeks ago, the Sony/Columbia Legacy Miles Davis Bootleg Series is still alive, although the production schedule has been slowed down. Beginning in 2011 and continuing until 2018, Sony USA released six volumes of live and studio recordings.

A seventh volume is in the works. Its release date has not been determined.

http://www.plosin.com/MilesAhead/mdNews.aspx