Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 6

bluesoul

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

amazon has it for about 20. . . .More expensive than Jazz Messengers.

Just looked at Amazon - currently way more than $20 & crappy overseas options. Guess I'll just have to wait. My Barcelona shipping experience has been less than ideal, though I haven't tried in a while.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Just looked at Amazon - currently way more than $20 & crappy overseas options. Guess I'll just have to wait. My Barcelona shipping experience has been less than ideal, though I haven't tried in a while.

Ouch! Sorry, a couple of weeks ago it was 15 and shipping at amazon. My experience with Jazz Messengers has been okay. Last time it even seemed as if the order came quicker than previously, though it's been over a year since I ordered last.

I wasn't aware Rotterdam 1969 had been released. Just ordered from Jazz Messengers for €11.98.

Some of the tracks are extreme in length like the 25 minutes Sanctuary. Could it be the re-broadcast was the first set, since this is the second? Or was it edited? I will have to check my hard drive.

If they somehow used the original tapes for this Sony really fucked up. That's what you get for not releasing the best shit first. Someone else will beat you to it.

https://www.sleepynight-shop.com/product/coming-soon-miles-davis-the-lost-quintet

https://www.jazzmessengers.com/en/81976/miles-davis/the-lost-quintet-rotterdam-1969

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Quintet-Miles-Davis/dp/B07SPFBKXR/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Edited by erwbol

This is from the info file of the Dime torrent I am listening to now:

Set list (re-tracked times)
===============================
01 - Intro (00:51) stage announcer (Michiel de Ruyter) 
02 - Directions (09.54)
03 - Bitches Brew (19.27)
04 - Sanctuary (16.53)
05 - Masqualero (15.14)
06 - Outro (00:43) station announcer
-----------------------------------------
Total time: 63:04 min

Quite different times from the Amazon link above.

27 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I remember the BBC broadcasting that Rotterdam concert - from memory it was in very good sound. They broadcast about an hour of it.

The digital broadcast was better than the FM.  From the info file:

I have had the opportunity to record broadcasts from FM and then the repeats from DAB.
Digital quality was substantially better than FM and with noticeable reduction of background FM
hiss and implusive noise that enable lower levels of musical detail and ambience to be heard. 

Edited by erwbol

There's a quick fade out fade in between tracks 2 and 3. Directions could be the same as the broadcast I posted above, which is still on Dimeadozen by the way. I don't feel like making a detailed comparison now.

Sound more than acceptable. There is a slight clicking sound audible now and then, varying in frequency, but next to Chick Corea's Fender Rhodes it is inconsequential IMO. And the music is spellbinding.

Only €9.90 at Jazz Messengers now. $11.99 at the record label's website.

10 hours ago, erwbol said:

IMG-3702.jpg

IMG-3705.jpg

IMG-3703.jpg

IMG-3706.jpg

Rotterdam November 9, 1969. Final show of the tour.

Total playing time 58:11

1. Direction (7:18)
  2. Bitches Brew (10:27)
  3. Sanctuary (25:26)
  4. Masqualero (14:59)

A total bootleg and why Sony is releasing these recordings themselves to prevent this.

I love the note on the disc & back of the CD: "All rights reserved. Unauthorized copying, reproduction, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcast prohibited." Ha ha ha.

They have no rights to the recording and they still think they can restrict you from doing something with it? Do whatever you like. They don't own this so there's nothing they can do. Sony on the other hand...

1 hour ago, bresna said:

A total bootleg and why Sony is releasing these recordings themselves to prevent this.

I love the note on the disc & back of the CD: "All rights reserved. Unauthorized copying, reproduction, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcast prohibited." Ha ha ha.

They have no rights to the recording and they still think they can restrict you from doing something with it? Do whatever you like. They don't own this so there's nothing they can do. Sony on the other hand...

In what way do Sony have rights in this? And why do you care about Sony? The label don’t own the recording. They licensed it from a company in Cyprus. Does that company own the recording? Perhaps you will assert that they don’t. 

Years ago this board went down the path of obsessions and ranting about what is ‘legit’. It has never recovered, sadly.

1 hour ago, David Ayers said:

In what way do Sony have rights in this? And why do you care about Sony? The label don’t own the recording. They licensed it from a company in Cyprus. Does that company own the recording? Perhaps you will assert that they don’t. 

Years ago this board went down the path of obsessions and ranting about what is ‘legit’. It has never recovered, sadly.

Miles was under contract to Columbia (now Sony). They own the rights to this recording. They don't own the recording, but they do own the right to sell it if they want it sold.

Look, I know you think it's great to be able to hear this, but it's a bootleg, plain & simple. The thing is, your desire to hear something doesn't override the rights owner's rights to profit off of it, whether you like it or not.

5 minutes ago, bresna said:

Miles was under contract to Columbia (now Sony). They own the rights to this recording. They don't own the recording, but they do own the right to sell it if they want it sold.

Look, I know you think it's great to be able to hear this, but it's a bootleg, plain & simple. The thing is, your desire to hear something doesn't override the rights owner's rights to profit off of it, whether you like it or not.

Laws governing radio broadcasts were and in some cases still are not the same in European countries. No World State just yet. 

Fuck Sony. If these parasites own the rights to superior recordings like Rotterdam, let them release them already! In stead they choose to sit on them and release something inferior instead. So fuck Sony and anyone interested just download the digital rebroadcast from Dimeadozen or buy the CD for €10 if you prefer.

9 hours ago, bresna said:

@bresna SJW for the parasitic shareholder & billionaire classes. 

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

Fuck Sony. If these parasites own the rights to superior recordings like Rotterdam, let them release them already! In stead they choose to sit on them and release something inferior instead. So fuck Sony and anyone interested just download the digital rebroadcast from Dimeadozen or buy the CD for €10 if you prefer.

@bresna SJW for the parasitic shareholder & billionaire classes. 

Don't you think it's rather hypocritical to say this in a thread about Sony's "Bootleg Series", a series invented to finally get the listeners this great music in the best sound ever? What has Sony done "wrong" here, except for taking too long to get to this particular recording before the CD market bottomed out?

With this Bootleg Series, Sony began to get these recordings out there. I am glad they did it. We can disagree on this.

4 hours ago, sambrasa said:

BTW, is this a CD-R (or "CD on demand") ?  Pressed CDs are always silver (or gold), never colored, as far as I can tell. I thing Promising Music also did those MPS reissues on black CD(-R)'s.

It's a real pressed CD that's also black. The front side is made to look like a 7" with a label and grooves. They went out of their way to make it look nice. The phrase "50th Anniversary Recording" is clumsy though.

7 hours ago, bresna said:

Don't you think it's rather hypocritical to say this in a thread about Sony's "Bootleg Series", a series invented to finally get the listeners this great music in the best sound ever? What has Sony done "wrong" here, except for taking too long to get to this particular recording before the CD market bottomed out?

With this Bootleg Series, Sony began to get these recordings out there. I am glad they did it. We can disagree on this.

Like you said, they sat on these recordings for decades, not just this particular concert. Now they sometimes choose to release lesser performances instead. At the time they might finally release the Rotterdam 1967 & 1969 shows officially, a lot of the older fans could have either gone deaf or to their graves. Anyway, I'll be first to pre-order a Sony release, as will most who purchase this disc, I suspect.

Just get off your high horse. This was released in the EU, and within the EU it is likely a legit release. It's currently not even available in the USA.

Edited by erwbol

19 hours ago, bresna said:

This is a really unpersuasive argument 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

But until then...a grey-market item that improves (apparently) markedly on the sound of whatever was in The Lost Quintet Tree is nothing I'm going to reflexively sneer at.

The (digital) rebroadcast was already not part of The Lost Quintet Tree I believe. I think the Tree contained an old recording. This CD is definitely better than the Tree, as was the rebroadcast.

Edited by erwbol

Right. If all that was wanted was the basic concert, the music, period,  that's already there. But now we have a significant sonic upgrade, so, yeah. That matters. No complaints here.

Put me down as more than a little disappointed that the Lost Quintet Tree wasn't officially released in its entirety. An important opportunity perhaps now lost.