Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluesoul

Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 6

235 posts in this topic

Still waiting as well, but I'm cool so far.

Received mine a few days new at that nice low price

starting with the later 3/24 concert with So What, On Green Dolphin Street & All Blues 

I’ve heard all this before but unless I’m mistaken it seems the sound quality is much better than on any of the previous bootlegs & grey market issues I’ve heard.

It’s been a very long time since I’ve listened to this era Miles or Trane and they are sounding so in sync that it’s scary how great this group was. Miles is in superb form and we all know about Coltrane during these years. Kelly imo never played better than in the period and he sounds so assured on this show.

Agreed. Kelly was playing his ass off! 

His solo on All Blues is just spectacular. 

Especially how he dovetails into earthiness after the Trane solo.  Should be reviewing this in the next few weeks.

My fourth time through this set and my appreciation for Kelly’s playing on these dates continues to grow. 

This is the only jazz multi disc set I have purchased this year and I have been playing it non stop.  Sound is excellent and the playing unbelievable.

I’ve been through it three or four times, and agree with your assessment 100%. 

Can anyone compare the sound quality here with previous releases of this music?   

To my ears it is much better.  But of course the previous releases were all over the place, and may have varied widely in sound quality.

Just got this set in the mail last night.  Enjoying discs 1 & 2 today, for the very first time (I've had Stockholm on CD since back in 1991, but Paris and Copenhagen are totally new to me).

Skimmed a whole bunch of reviews on my phone, during my commute this morning, and several mentioned that Wynton Kelly is really a surprise standout on some of these recordings (and I have to agree).

It'll be interesting to see if my impression of Miles' playing is different by the the 5th or 10th times I spin the Paris and Copenhagen sets.  On first spin, though, I'm left still thinking that Miles really delivered much stronger on the next European tour (with Sonny Stitt, in the Fall of 1960, iirc), at least from the Stockholm sets (with Stitt) that we all know.  That said, I'm listening again, and Miles does play better on the second Paris set (than the first), so that's good.

I'm not totally down with Trane's experiments, but neither are they totally off-putting either.  After 30 years, I've *still* never gotten bitten super hard by Trane's playing, but maybe eventually I'll succumb.  Not that my tastes are super conservative, but I've just never gotten super fanatical about Trane, the way I have 2-3 dozen other players (not all sax).

Next I need to spend some time with the liners, which I've barely skimmed 20% of.  Many thanks to a board member who just hooked me up with his copy.

PS:  I'm REALLY digging the Copenhagen set.  One review I read said that they had to move mountains to find the tapes (tape) for it, and only got it at the 11th hour.  But for my money -- again, this is just based on ONE spin of the first 2 discs -- but for my money, *Copenhagen* may be the most cohesive 'set' of the entire bunch.  Like the whole band seemed more on the same wavelength (or more so than Paris, or Stockholm).

PPS:  Ok, second time through the 2nd disc, and that Paris material (the second disc) is really clicking more for me this time.

Edited by Rooster_Ties