Savory Collection volume 5

Stonewall15

1 hour ago, Hardbopjazz said:

When I went to the museum I got to listen to the collection. I am waiting for the Goodman with Christian. That will be something to release next. 

When I went to listen a few years back and chatted with Loren, he said he was having a very hard time getting clearances from the Goodman estate. They apparently wanted silly amounts of money.

gregmo

Does the Goodman estate need the money? I think probably not. So why are/should they be incentivized to give it away or let it go for a "friendly" price? How much more Benny Goodman product do they - or anybody - need on the market? I mean, I like this era of Goodman as much as anybody, but with or without Charlie Christian, after getting the Mosaic, I think I'm done for a good while.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Does the Goodman estate need the money? I think probably not. So why are/should they be incentivized to give it away or let it go for a "friendly" price? How much more Benny Goodman product do they - or anybody - need on the market? I mean, I like this era of Goodman as much as anybody, but with or without Charlie Christian, after getting the Mosaic, I think I'm done for a good while.

But there can never be too much Charlie Christian. 

Well, no. But here's where your Jerry Valburns of the world come into play, they just go in and steal it, then release it, and eyes roll, records get sold, and then it goes over to Andulorra and such. Goodman estate fumes, but does nothing, because compared to the big bucks they get from all the mainstream stuff this is nothing, they shrug it off and are probably secretly ok (enough) with it.

We'd all like to think that estates are benevolent philanthropic entities, but c'mon....how much of the known Charlie Christian was recorded/released "legitimately"? How much was anybody paid for these?

129462.jpg

41vXHQUDVsL.jpg

430366.jpg

Besides, didn't the Goodman archives go to Yale? This Savory stuff, never intended for any kind of commercial release, recordings done as a hobby, we're lucky to have gotten what we're getting, the evolution of jazz and the health of the ahem KOFF "jazz industry" will not be affected one way or another by not getting to hear 4 unheard Charlie Christian performances. I'd love to hear them, sure, but just becuae Benny Goodman was an asshole in real life, and just because his estate seems to not give a shit about the Savory collection, there's no laws being broken, it's legal for an individual to be an asshole and still have success, and estates are not required to give up thier rights at aomebody else's price, so again, go find Jerry Valburn, Jr. and put him on the case, that's the way this shit works, or worked.

Or you know, get Bob Dylan to pay big bucks for the shit and then have him release it do free to the world. See how that would go, put that Nobel and welding money to use. Yeah have Bob Dylan do it. Or Boris Rose. somebody like that.

41vXHQUDVsL.jpg

430366.jpg

but c'mon....how much of the known Charlie Christian was recorded/released "legitimately"?  

I'd say about 60%.  I think I have every known extant CC recording except the Savorys  but I can't really check because the fires in Santa Barbara have forced me to evacuate.  (A good reason to have all your music on a hard disc-- which I don't.) 

4 hours ago, medjuck said:

I'd say about 60%.  I think I have every known extant CC recording except the Savorys  but I can't really check because the fires in Santa Barbara have forced me to evacuate.  (A good reason to have all your music on a hard disc-- which I don't.) 

Hope you get through it OK.  That's not the kind of smoke you want.