Misleading issues of existing sessions.

Hardbopjazz

A quick glance of this makes you believe there are three tracks from Turrentine's "Up at Minton's" which wasn't issued before. A closer look shows that is not the case. Disc 1 is mainly Turrentine's "ZT Blues." The three so called bonus tracks are they actually unissued music?  

Complete Recordings + 3 Bonus Tracks

Complete Recordings + 3 Bonus Tracks

61eaQKJCMUL.jpg

Edited by Hardbopjazz

This unfortunate way of adding "bonuses" to pretend the buyer gets extra value through extra playing time of a CD has been going on for a long time and is neither flesh nor fowl IMO as often the extra material is added at random. I did not particularly like this with certain Fresh Sound reissues (as these bonuses often split up existing sessions so do not add much for those who'd like sessions in their entirety so if they get the entire sessions somewhere else these bonuses are useless -  if they do not already have them anyway) but this has also happened with reissues on other labels. So there are many guilty parties. Even if it is not even a matter of "thieves" (non-retroactive P.D. laws, remember? ;))

In this particular case, however, I cannot see how the buyer could have been misled. The back cover clearly says where the extra tracks came from and since the lineup is a totally different one it cannot have come from the Up at Minton's session anyway. Reading the fine print of line-ups and recording dates has become a required art IMO ever simce they started to reissue stuff on CD. Too much attempts (often inept ones) to fill up CDs with RANDOM (instead of carefuly collated) tracks when the original LP playing time would have been a bit meager. And is that Comin' On session really that obscure - release/reissue-wise?

What I find much more annoying when it comes to misleading buyers in the reissue field is crediting recordings to persons who NEVER were the original leaders of the session (and in some cases not even the #1 featured soloist) and not even mentioning this in the "fine print". Has happened VERY often with artist compilations. Of course it is tempting to market the music under a name that became a "major" name after the (original) fact but these reissues actually should be labeled as V.A. reissues. (Wishful thinking? Yes, of course, but still ...)

I'm also no fan of reissues with slapdash unrelated tracks added. Or lousy labels that claim music is previously unreleased when it can be found on earlier releases.

Drummer Pete "La Roca" Sims sued when his album Turkish Women At the Bath was reissued under Chick Corea's name. I don't know how many others have taken similar action.

11 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

What I find much more annoying when it comes to misleading buyers in the reissue field is crediting recordings to persons who NEVER were the original leaders of the session (and in some cases not even the #1 featured soloist) and not even mentioning this in the "fine print". Has happened VERY often with artist compilations. Of course it is tempting to market the music under a name that became a "major" name after the (original) fact but these reissues actually should be labeled as V.A. reissues. (Wishful thinking? Yes, of course, but still ...)

This brings to mind the horrible digital-only reissue series by Nagel-Heyer that's been criticized here before: previous discussion