Happy Birthday McCoy Tyner. 79 years young.

Hardbopjazz

2 hours ago, felser said:

Yes, and thanks for the hours of joy from your art!  Do we know why he has not recorded in many years?

If his late(r) live performances are an indication (saw him two years ago), McCoy Tyner is unfortunately not even near the top of his capabilities .... the forementioned concert was a very sad experience indeed ....

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Yeah, McCoy's skills are definitely fading. He is looking very frail these days - hardly walking much. My last concert experience was a bit sad as well. The music was great, but his physical condition was not... but then again, he is 79.

Sorry to hear that.  It is understandable.  He had such a physical style of playing.  On record and live, he just overwhelmed players as strong as George Adams and Gary Bartz in the mid-late 70's.

2 hours ago, Milestones said:

Happy birthday. 

I would like to see at least one more recording. He can take his time and get it done just right.  I have heard McCoy play delicately--and quite well.  There's no need to be the powerhouse he used to be.

I saw him last year and while he needed assistance to get to the piano, once he sat down, he played powerfully. I don't think he likes playing any other way. :)

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Remember the good old days when great jazz musicians didn't live to be 79?

Here's hoping for a quality life for whatever time McCoy has left, days, years, decades. Whatever they are, may they be blessed with dignity, comfort and peace.

Amen!

A very happy birthday to you mr. Tyner! One of my all time favorite piano players! I have never seen him live unfortunately. If he ever make a European tour again I will do whatever it takes to get a ticket. I really do not care if his playing is not what it is was anymore. The man is nearly 80! 

• 11 months later...