NYT list of 25 best Classical recordings of the year

Chuck Nessa

On ‎15‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 1:26 PM, JSngry said:

Haven't hear the record on the list, but Barbara Hannigan is somebody who's caught my ear the last year or two.

It's not amongst my top favourites of what was quite an incredible year (I have the Sampson/Bach, which I like quite a lot, too ... the Trifonov and the new "Troyens" are still on the pile, unplayed as of yet, the Roscoe and the Currentzis Tchaiko still need to be ordered, th Müllerin is on its way by now ...)

But the Hannigan ... it's very nice for sure, but somehow I'm not sure she really gets the Berg right. I heard her do it in concert, too, and it was certainly worth attending. The Berio (opening the programme) is amazing, the Gershwin (closing the disc) is very interesting - it's a kinda Bergian reworking of some songs, and it works quite well indeed!

However, this one here is among my favourites - unexpectedly so, to be honest, as I'm not always big on Immerseel ... but this is highly recommended indeed:

MI0004331913.jpg

I don't see how anybody can get Gershwin either wrong or right, it seems like it was made to be whatever anybody needed it to be, I think. He had talent, he had ambition, but I don't think he had too much of a core/essence/whatever other than "hey, look at me do this...and if you don't like THAT, then hey, look at me do THIS...and if you... A very projectional output, imo, and in that sense, quintessentially "American", which is perhaps not a compliment.