Any Airport Express Users Here?

Eric

I have four stereos in the house and use an Airport Express with each one of them to stream music from my Mac or iPhone.

Lately I have been having some issues with them not connecting.  I have a combo of the older and newer models, but the issues seem random and unrelated to wifi signals.  

Does else use these devices to stream music and/or had problems with them?  Any alternative devices.  Since I am an iPhone/Mac guy, I really just need something that works with Airplay.

Thanks!

I use two Airport Expresses, of varying vintages, and two Apple TVs (ditto), and one device that has AirPlay connectivity built-in.  I used to sometimes have problems with connectivity, but found that the latest Comcast router has made things a lot better - if you have Comcast, you should check with them, as I think you can swap out your router at no cost.  Otherwise, just keep your AEs up to date - make sure you apply updates to them and your other devices.  And sometimes it just helps to unplug them and plug them back in.  Old school, but it can work.

You also asked about alternative devices.  Last year's Apple TV had an optical audio out, but the newer ones do not.  There are third-party AirPlay receivers, such as this: https://www.amazon.com/ANEWISH-Wireless-Receiver-Airplay-Adapter/dp/B01N5FOVAJ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513311806&sr=8-3&keywords=airplay+receiver

Yes. Kinda.

I use my Airport Express as my main Wi-Fi, then have an Apple TV connected to my main system. There are times (though thankfully not often), when either my iPad will not find the Apple TV, OR my Apple TV will not connect to the Airport Express. A simple reset takes care of the problem. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

Thanks everybody for their response.  iTunes and AE firmware is all up to date.  I will try the re-set.  It has been a bit maddening as they all used to work flawlessly.  Now it can take 20-30 seconds to "find" an Airport Express and I experience static and dropouts.  Just added a new router to the system - did not seem to make a difference (I have Spectrum - the old Time Warner).

5 hours ago, Stefan Wood said:

I use a Raspberry Pi for streaming music.

Stefan - is this something a non-technical person can employ?  I came across the Pi while researching alternatives.  Are there any resellers/retailers you could recommend?

4 hours ago, Eric said:

Thanks everybody for their response.  iTunes and AE firmware is all up to date.  I will try the re-set.  It has been a bit maddening as they all used to work flawlessly.  Now it can take 20-30 seconds to "find" an Airport Express and I experience static and dropouts.  Just added a new router to the system - did not seem to make a difference (I have Spectrum - the old Time Warner).

Stefan - is this something a non-technical person can employ?  I came across the Pi while researching alternatives.  Are there any resellers/retailers you could recommend?

This is my set up.  The DAC smokes my Emotiva ERC player. 

https://www.hifiberry.com/

7 hours ago, mjzee said:

FYI, I just received a notice that an update is available for my AirPort Express.

OP here ... I noticed the same but did not make a difference.  I have a friend who is a network guy who suspects my switch is bad.  Evidently this is the device that keeps the trains (i.e. Ethernet cables) running on time.  

On 12/16/2017 at 9:24 AM, mjzee said:

Cool!  To be fair, if the OP is only interested in another AirPlay receiver, the device I linked to would do the same at around the same price, and with a lot less bother.

That does look cool.  I think my devices are OK, which makes sense.  Will post after I replace the switch.