Mosaic Records is releasing a Savory collection set

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Fantastic !   I’m in..

Especially good as I never bothered with those downloads.

Same here. I'll spring for this for sure. Almost too good to be true. (I suppose it will be a long while, though, before we get to know if Jazzmessengers will carry this? ;))

The best news about this IMHO and TO ME, though, in the link above was that the Goodman material will remain "in limbo". I was half afraid anybody who'd release this in a "physical" format would jump for more of the most obvious "biggest" names. But honestly, there already are so many BG airshots and live recordings from that period out there that I guess most can do without more versions of '"Rachel's Dream" or whatever in that vein (UNLESS of course that there are substantially more recordings of the sextet featuring Charlie Christian and playing tunes that so far have NOT been preserved for posterity - but how likely is this, I wonder??).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Doug Pomeroy is listed as the engineer in charge of the sound/restoration for this new Mosaic box. A year ago, he posted this at the Steve Hoffman forum:

Third, yes, there has been talk about a possible release of the music on CDs, but it would be irresponsible of me to say any more because it is not any of my business. I do know that Mosaic was contacted several years ago and, at that time, for reasons unknown to me, declined. 

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-savory-collection-jazz-trove-to-be-released.598384/page-2#post-17736117

(Bold/Underlined emphasis added by me)

This morning's email from Mosaic is headlined: Our Most Momentous Collection In Years - Upcoming Release. A Treasure Trove of Previously Unknown Music.

I guess my question is this: what changed Mosaic's mind about cutting a deal to issue these recordings? They had to know what a big deal these were several years ago when they first had a chance to garner the rights. Did they simply not have the money to do a deal? Did they get outbid by iTunes on an 'exclusivity' deal? (It is interesting that one full year has passed since iTunes first issued these, which suggests some kind of exclusive agreement on the rights for a period of time.)

4 hours ago, Sandman said:

Has anyone looked at the overlap between the downloads and the new set?  Probably will buy this either way, just curious.  Exciting news for Mosaic, long may it run.  

I just did a comparison. The Mosaic set has the following tracks not on the 4 downloads:

Mildred Bailey- Mosaic disc 3 tracks 10-13

Stuff Smith- Mosaic disc 3 tracks 14-15

Joe Sullivan- Mosaic disc 4 tracks 7-13

Count Basie- Mosaic disc 5 tracks 3,4,6,8,11,12,15,16,17,18

Count Basie- Mosaic disc 6 tracks 3,4,7,8,15,16,17

I am not positively sure about the Count Basie tracks as some of the times do not agree precisely. In any case the 2 Mosaic discs total 39 tracks and 17 are not on the downloads.

In any case the Mosaic set does include all the 4 download tracks, plus the ones mentioned above.

Edited by Stonewall15
additional information.

2 hours ago, Stonewall15 said:

I just did a comparison. The Mosaic set has the following tracks not on the 4 downloads:

Mildred Bailey- Mosaic disc 3 tracks 10-13

Stuff Smith- Mosaic disc 3 tracks 14-15

Joe Sullivan- Mosaic disc 4 tracks 7-13

Count Basie- Mosaic disc 5 tracks 3,4,6,8,11,12,15,16,17,18

Count Basie- Mosaic disc 6 tracks 3,4,7,8,15,16,17

I am not positively sure about the Count Basie tracks as some of the times do not agree precisely. In any case the 2 Mosaic discs total 39 tracks and 17 are not on the downloads.

In any case the Mosaic set does include all the 4 download tracks, plus the ones mentioned above.

Thanks for storting this out.