Mosaic Records is releasing a Savory collection set

Just got an e-mail saying that it won't ship till mid-May.  Gave sone reasons re: "approvals"  that I really didn't understand.  By then I should be able to have  listened to the Teddy Wilson set for the 3 or four times which I think it deserves. 

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Just got an e-mail saying that it won't ship till mid-May.  Gave sone reasons re: "approvals"  that I really didn't understand.  By then I should be able to have  listened to the Teddy Wilson set for the 3 or four times which I think it deserves. 

They always have to get approval from the owners of the rights on all sorts of things before they can release a set and apparently this time it was more difficult. This is the e-mail from Mosaic:

"We would like to thank you for the preorder for this important historical set. We also want to thank you for your patience.

The approval process for this set is not our usual process and it has taken longer than anticipated. We do have final approval on all the print components and they are being shipped to the CD manufacturer. This will take about two - three weeks to manufacture. After receipt in our warehouse, the sets will be collated and that adds another week. Therefore the process will take about 4 weeks and we expect to ship mid-May."

Edited by J.A.W.

1 hour ago, Lush Life said:

Given that the Savory recordings were first issued only as downloads (to my utter despair at the time), I am totally fine with waiting until May, or July, or sometime this year, as long the box really arrives. I haven't been this excited about a new release in ages.

But this has a whole cd of Basie-Prez that was not issued as a download.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2017 at 4:18 AM, brownie said:

That those recordings are being issued by Mosaic is very good news indeed...

Just wish that more stuff from Ellington were listed in that release including the items unveiled in the November 19 podcast from the National Jazz Museum In Harlem website.

Apparently the Ellington estate  is handled by some lawyers who are very difficult to deal with.  Sometimes Duke's granddaughter and nephew are able to able to get them to approve of things but since this involves money it may be that, as with the Goodman holdings, if you want to hear them you'll have to go to Harlem.  

Edited by medjuck

On 4/29/2018 at 9:13 PM, medjuck said:

Apparently the Ellington estate  is handled by some lawyers who are very difficult to deal with.  Sometimes Duke's granddaughter and nephew are able to able to get them to approve of things but since this involves money it may be that, as with the Goodman holdings, if you want to hear them you'll have to go to Harlem.  

Much like the attorney for the Paul Desmond estate who keeps blocking releases of historic material. Wait a few years and they'll end up on an Andorran label and their will be no royalties at all.

1 minute ago, Ken Dryden said:

Much like the attorney for the Paul Desmond estate who keeps blocking releases of historic material. Wait a few years and they'll end up on an Andorran label and their will be no royalties at all.

And used to be the case with Errol Garner.

On 1.5.2018 at 8:34 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

FWIW, the release date for this set indicated on the Mosaic website now is "Late May".

Holding my breath with due patience ... ;)

Same here ... also waiting for the Wilson as I thought it would make sense to combine the order.

On 5/1/2018 at 4:52 PM, Ken Dryden said:

Wasn't it Martha Glaser who kept blocking all of the reissues and historical releases? There is still a lot of Columbia Erroll Garner that hasn't been reissued in the US, but some of it has appeared in Japan.

A question to long-time Mosaic customers from OVERSEAS:

I am still unsure about whether to order the Savory set directly from Mosaic (now that the release date seems to be real) or waiting for it to show up at Jazzmessengers (not knowing what they will charge for the set, however, so not sure at all how much their price tag will be above the Mosaic price incl. shipping):

If I order from Mosaic the overseas shipping costs look like
either
$20 for standard airmail (2 to 4 weeks, no tracking no.)
or
$50 for UPS Worldwide Express (4 to 8 days)

The UPS rate is quite hefty, though. What are you international customers' experiences with their standard airmail shipping program? Ever had any problems? Arrived within that time frame? Packaging OK? etc.
Thanks ...;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

8 minutes ago, Big Beat Steve said:

A question to long-time Mosaic customers from OVERSEAS:

I am still unsure about whether to order the Savory set directly from Mosaic (now that the release date seems to be real) or waiting for it to show up at Jazzmessengers (not knowing what they will charge for the set, however, so not sure at all how much their price tag will be above the Mosaic price incl. shipping):

If I order from Mosaic the overseas shipping costs look like
either
$20 for standard airmail (2 to 4 weeks, no tracking no.)
or
$50 for UPS Worldwide Express (4 to 8 days)

The UPS rate is quite hefty, though. What are you international customers' experiences with their standard airmail shipping program? Ever had any problems? Arrived within that time frame? Packaging OK? etc.
Thanks ...;)

I've yet to order any Mosaics from Jazz Messengers. I prefer to go the source. In terms of cost I think ordering direct even allowing for import fees here in UK still works out slightly cheaper. The big plus is that Mosaic will always rectify any issues many months /even years after purchase. There was a spell when packing standards slipped a bit. Outer packaging could end up quite crushed looking. As far as I recall only once (in around 40-50 sets) was there any actual damage to contents. So I'm happy to buy direct. I do buy less than I used to but thats mainly down to the Pound Sterling sliding in value and my shelves being full !!

Only ever use standard mail delivery. I did once use DHL and ended up paying absurd import fees which DHL  (rather than customs) had applied to the delivery.

Edited by Clunky

Thanks for your reply. Good to see their standard airmail service works OK. (Any others who'd like to share their experiences? ;)9

Considering how much I've bought from US sellers through the years (mostly eBay, some occasional record mail order services) basicially i can do without a tracking number but admittedly it does provide some peace of mind these days. ;)

I always go standard US airmail and - as Clunky says - taxes are usually a bit less than DHL route and it is marginally cheaper than Jazzmessengers based on current £ exchange. Have had a bit more luck with shipping damage with the latter option though (although it has been booklets dinged due to sloppy packing at warehouse I think).

I will most likely buy the Savory set from the ‘horse’s mouth’. Also, if any problems just mail Mosaic and they are usually prompt to rectify.

Edited by sidewinder

Those overseas DHL rates are insanely high, about twice what USPS charges, and their handling fees are also very steep. Not that the Dutch Postal Service is cheap, though, their handling fee is 13 euros per parcel on top of the tax/duty that is payable. It's one of the reasons I usually order my Mosaics from Jazz Messengers these days, they may not be cheaper in the end, but at least there's no hassle at the door on delivery. Unfortunately, they didn't know if they would get the now deleted Bee Hive set again, so I had to order that one directly from Mosaic. We'll see how that goes.

Edited by J.A.W.

After a £30 VAT charge/Royal Mail ransom on the Savoy set I bought the new Teddy Wilson from Jazz Messengers. Didn't compare the cost vs Mosaic, but I had no complaints about the service and packaging. Also bought the Beehive PDQ after Mosaic's recent announcement. Mosaic may (or may not) be cheaper, but in the UK at least it's a gamble over whether or not it will slip through customs.

I was always buying directly from Mosaic, with USPS shipping. Never DHL/UPS because of the mandatory 50 Euro handling fee and customs clearance (24% etc): it would almost increase the price by 50% or more! With USPS the packages were never ever caught by the customs. However, now and since last year the customs block everything above 25 EURO and charge 15 euro fee and 24% import VAT. This would still end with prices lower than jazzmessengers still. But the problem is that the customs do not have the resources to deal with the huge volumes of packages to be cleared and they end up with 2+ months waiting until clearance! So, JazzMessengers this time and from now on for me...

Same here - the total cost for a set is a little less than ordering from Mosaic directly, shipping costs and VAT added, and I don't have the hassle of picking the parcel up at the local customs office - when I order from Jazzmessengers it's a shipment within the EU. So far I ordered three sets from them, no problems, and they arrived within three days. Packing was excellent.

Never had any problems with ordering from Mosaic per surface mail, either. Some sets arrived after two weeks, some took six. 

On 10/05/2018 at 6:20 PM, crisp said:

After a £30 VAT charge/Royal Mail ransom on the Savoy set I bought the new Teddy Wilson from Jazz Messengers. Didn't compare the cost vs Mosaic, but I had no complaints about the service and packaging. Also bought the Beehive PDQ after Mosaic's recent announcement. Mosaic may (or may not) be cheaper, but in the UK at least it's a gamble over whether or not it will slip through customs.

that £30 charge is a bit concerning, I'm hoping that it doesn't represent a change in the way Mosaic document shipment values. 

• 2 weeks later...