Mosaic Records is releasing a Savory collection set

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Anyone else found that the booklet to CDs 3 and 4 is a bit oversized and was bent into the case to fit it in? A bit annoying - and the first Mosaic that I’ve ever noticed this.

No qualms about the sound - considering the available source quality.

No problems here. The booklets of my set are all the same. Not too tight, not too loose. But as I've been annoyed a bit before by booklets waaay too loose and sloppy and slipping out as soon as you open the jewel case I would not even have complained about somewhat tighter fits.

While we are at it - re-fidelity: Very good indeed. But I do wonder - recording buffs being what they are, I wonder how long it wil take for someone to tackle that Stuff Smith track on disc III (Crescendo in Drums) that has noticeable interference from a neighboring radio station and really dissect it to listen THROUGH the music to find out and transcribe what EXACTLY was broadcast on that other station? :P

And as for the discographical details:
Session P by Count Basie: Could it be that the recording date of May 19, 1939 is incorrect? The Basie band did a studio session for Columbia on May 19 so how likely is it that they had a live gig the same day? According to Ken Vail's "Jazz Itineraries" book on Count Basie they started a 6-week residency at the Panther Room the day after, on May 20 (and broadcast from there most nights).
Just sayin' ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Anyone else found that the booklet to CDs 3 and 4 is a bit oversized and was bent into the case to fit it in? A bit annoying - and the first Mosaic that I’ve ever noticed 

Yes I found this too. I’ll need to cut a slither off . 

On 16/7/2018 at 6:30 PM, crisp said:

Has the Jazz Messengers listing been and gone? I've been checking periodically for the Savory but have never seen it listed.

On 16/7/2018 at 9:29 PM, sidewinder said:

Yes, their service is brilliant - packaging and shipping first rate. I think I had one set delivered from Barcelona door to door within 2 days !

On 16/7/2018 at 7:38 PM, RiRiIII said:

I check there regularly but never saw it listed. I just emailed them.

Edit: check on Wednesday

"Good evening,  Thanks for your message.  It’s currently out of stock right now, sorry. But, we are already bringing more; they should be here next week, on Wednesday.  You can check our website then.  All the best,  Jorge, Jazz Messengers Customer Service"

***Impeccable Customer Service! Bravi!!!***

I managed to check today. Gone again or never listed since they replied to me? Thanks.

Give it another day or two. Maybe it is extended siesta time for the Spanish postal service..:cool:

The reason I got mine was a mix up on orders. Instead of the Goodman I received a Savory. When reported they responded immediately to send out the Goodman in record time. Instead of returning the Savory I arranged to buy it (good move).Have nothing but the highest praise for Jorge and the jazzmessengers service. :tup

Edited by sidewinder

On ‎21‎.‎07‎.‎2018 at 7:06 PM, sidewinder said:

Give it another day or two. Maybe it is extended siesta time for the Spanish postal service..:cool:

The reason I got mine was a mix up on orders. Instead of the Goodman I received a Savory. When reported they responded immediately to send out the Goodman in record time. Instead of returning the Savory I arranged to buy it (good move).Have nothing but the highest praise for Jorge and the jazzmessengers service. :tup

Hm, for me, it usually takes a week or more. Always registered (though when a parcel was lost last winter, oddly enough they told me they cannot track), and always sent via Dutch post (delivery by Swiss post, tracking, from Barcelona on, via Dutch post). Weird things to happen, but I reckon we get what little we're willing to pay for. (But I'm still and hope to remain, a happy customer of jazzmessengers, I just fail to understand all of this ... and I miss local stores to browse through stuff.)

On 16/07/2018 at 5:38 PM, RiRiIII said:

I check there regularly but never saw it listed. I just emailed them.

Edit: check on Wednesday

"Good evening,  Thanks for your message.  It’s currently out of stock right now, sorry. But, we are already bringing more; they should be here next week, on Wednesday.  You can check our website then.  All the best,  Jorge, Jazz Messengers Customer Service"

***Impeccable Customer Service! Bravi!!!***

The way I understood their reply is that the Savory set is due on Wednesday this week - give or take a day or so maybe.

I've purchased a number of Mosaic boxes from JM over the last few years and found their delivery and customer service (Jorge) outstanding.

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2018 at 1:04 PM, Larry Kart said:

That Stash set, if still available, is a gem. IIRC, it has a nice mix of solo and small group tracks. All broadcast transcriptions, a setting that seemed to work well for Waller. I see Vol. 1 used on Amazon at a great price. 

https://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Fats-Waller-Rhythm-Piano/dp/B000008CIB/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1530118600&sr=1-1&keywords=fats+waller+stash

but not Vol. 2.

You'll probably want this one (below):

If you have access to a used LP store, the Bluebird LP Waller sets used to show up there fairly often. If the price is right, nab everyone you see. IIRC the notes are excellent. Also, if you see the Time-Life Waller LP set. In fact just about every Time-Life set is worthwhile -- excellent booklets.

413RGWVSY2L._AC_US218_.jpg

I listened to the Stash set and it indeed is a gem.  

Since Larry has made some great recommendations, perhaps there should be a thread Larry Recommends. I’m not being flip.  I say this in all seriousness. 

On 6/27/2018 at 1:45 PM, mjzee said:

Just ordered this. Thanks again. 

Just gotta say that I would have bought this set for the live Count Basie material alone. Although the audio quality is fairly poor - they're tantalizing insights into what a live powerhouse the 1938 band were. That Carnival of Swing gig must have been epic. I especially loved hearing a few familiar studio cuts played at slower tempos and with extended (likely the intended) arrangements. Recommended!

Of the three Waller releases that I ordered as a result of this thread, the RCA is my least favorite. I don’t think the music is as good as the others, plus no liner notes or discographical information other than the bare minimum. One entry said it was recorded prior to 1972.  No kidding! Oddly enough, both this set and the If You Got to Ask, You Ain’t Got It box were issued by Sony (although the latter was issued by Sony Legacy). 

Edited by Brad

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if there will be any more released from this collection?  Today I was at the Jazz Museum  of Harlem.   I was listening to several recordings that have not made that way either through iTunes or the Mosaic release.  It seems as if more music has been added for listening at the museum. Two jam sessions each about 15 minutes long with B. Goodman, L. Young, R. Eldridge, T. Wilson, and drums and bass which did not list the musicians.  Man, These jams were swinging.  

Since nothing with Benny Goodman has been issued, I’m guessing his estate said no having these released.  

Edited by Hardbopjazz

On 17/09/2018 at 6:50 PM, crisp said:

Any mastering credits (I'm guessing not)?

Crisp, there is not even personnell info here or a booklet. So forget about mastering info. Though I knew it when I ordered it because I own another example from this series: Ellington. But the series is a good, convenient and cheap way to have some basic material from the artist in question.

18 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I wonder if there will be any more released from this collection?  Today I was at the Jazz Museum  of Harlem.   I was listening to several recordings that have not made that way either through iTunes or the Mosaic release.  It seems as if more music has been added for listening at the museum. Two jam sessions each about 15 minutes long with B. Goodman, L. Young, R. Eldridge, T. Wilson, and drums and bass which did not list the musicians.  Man, These jams were swinging.  

Since nothing with Benny Goodman has been issued, I’m guessing his estate said no having these released.  

Uncertain but possibly yes re further releases is my reading of the tea leaves I've been given.  There's a live recording of Billie Holiday at Cafe Society performing "Strange Fruit" with only piano accompaniment that I'd sure like to hear, among other things.

18 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

Her's a taste of it.  http://jazzmuseuminharlem.org/events/savory-session/

I sure hope they post the Ellington listening session they did last week. 

37 minutes ago, Bluesnik said:

I have the Genius of the Electric Guitar box and there with alternates I think it sums up to 4 CDs.

I am referring to the Savory collection. When you're the museum the iTunes where you listen to the music doesn't have a lot of details as to who is playing. There are hundreds of Goodman tracks. 

4 hours ago, medjuck said:

Her's a taste of it.  http://jazzmuseuminharlem.org/events/savory-session/

I sure hope they post the Ellington listening session they did last week. 

Yes, towards the end of this Podcast one of the jam sessions was what I listened to. I hope one day, the Goodman estate comes to terms and this music gets released. The track that included this jam was over 15 minutes, with a radio announcer bridging each tune. 

Edited by Hardbopjazz

More generally, it would be nice to see a catalog of the entire Savory collection and understand how the selection was made for the Mosaic set.  I was hoping that the Mosaic booklet would contain a section on this.   Other than the Benny Goodman material, it seems that sound quality was a big criterion for selection.  When I was in the museum a few years ago, I heard some other great tracks with Lester Young, which have not been released presumably because the sound quality was a bit rough.   In fact, one of these tracks in fairly good sound was put briefly online as a sample when the Savory collection was first discovered.