Mosaic Records is releasing a Savory collection set

18 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I wonder how many recordings have Charlie Christian with Goodman?  I did get to listen to 2 recordings. 

There are 7 Goodman recordings with Charlie Christian that I listen to when I was there.

Edited by miles65
Typu

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, medjuck said:

Good music, good narration.  But it would be nice if Loren would NOT talk over the music, telling us the soloists when they've already been introduced.  This certainly whets one's appetite for an issue.  I hope the Ellington family/executors can come to a reasonable agreement and share Duke's genius once again.

On 23.10.2018 at 11:11 PM, JSngry said:

I'll give even odds, better than evn, actually,  that the voice-overs are to foil bootlegging. You can do that, or you can do the recurring momentary fades.

Just out of sheer curiosity:

There was a time in the pre-digital days when (put in an oversimplified manner) the sound restorer would individually tape off pops, crackles, scratches and other "out" sounds from a slooooow-running tape of the track to be restored and thus eliminate this foreign noise to the extent possible at all. Time-consuming but would this be possible today and with today#s technology with voice-overs too (if somebody wanted to go to that extreme trouble)? I've often wondered if something could be done about this sort of "foreign noise" in the case of basically interesting recordings where the announcer (or whoever ...)  talks right into the tune/music.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 8 months later...

I was just listening and watching the presentation by Scott Wenzel on this set from the Mosaic Jazz Gazette, and he mentioned some of the Estates that wouldn't allow release: Benny Goodman first and foremost, but also Cab Calloway, Bunny Berigan, and Tommy Dorsey. Like many here, I continue to be flummoxed by these estates. Are they in abject poverty and think this would somehow put them on easy street? What kind of massive audience do they somehow imagine is out there? It's bizarre.

gregmo

19 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

I was just listening and watching the presentation by Scott Wenzel on this set from the Mosaic Jazz Gazette, and he mentioned some of the Estates that wouldn't allow release: Benny Goodman first and foremost, but also Cab Calloway, Bunny Berigan, and Tommy Dorsey. Like many here, I continue to be flummoxed by these estates. Are they in abject poverty and think this would somehow put them on easy street? What kind of massive audience do they somehow imagine is out there? It's bizarre.

gregmo

So ridiculous.  Everybody's loss, including theirs.

Edited by ghost of miles

Toward the end, he also mentioned that there are a number of Goodman recordings with Lester Young. I don't find any of those in the "On the Air" 2-cd set of Savory recordings issued by Columbia. Also an entire concert of Django Reinhardt with Duke Ellington. There are a few bits of their post-war tour together in the massive JSP Reinhardt collection, but not much.  Sigh.

gregmo

The recordings with Pres and Benny are in the Masters of Jazz volumes of Charlie Christian and less completely on Drive Archives and in the Columbia box set of Christian. The concert of Django with Duke has been out on Music Masters (The Chicago Concerts).

Edited by jazzbo

21 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

The recordings with Pres and Benny are in the Masters of Jazz volumes of Charlie Christian and less completely on Drive Archives and in the Columbia box set of Christian. The concert of Django with Duke has been out on Music Masters (The Chicago Concerts).

Thanks for the heads-up, Lon. It appears that the Musicmasters cds only include four tracks with Django. Those four are also on JSP's "Django on the Radio," CD-A, so I'm wondering if that's it, or whether Savory got more. Of course, your post begs another question. IF the Estates agreed to these releases (they must have agreed to the Columbia box release), why on earth would they ok those--especially the small label releases--and not this one?? Arg!!!

gregmo

• 5 months later...

Today I wrapped up the Savory Collection Mosaic set I bought for my Dad for Xmas and will be giving to him later today when we do our joint family gift exchange.

I know he's going to love it, and I know he'll spin the Waller sides first--I can still remember how joyous he was when I gave him a handful of Waller cds more than 20 years ago. 

17 Basie, 7 Joe Sullivan, 2 Stuff Smith, 4 Mildred Bailey & 1 Fats Waller title(s) in Mosaic set but not in downloads

Also one Benny Carter (More Than You Know) plus one Fats Waller (I've Got A Pocketful Of Dreams) titles are longer in the Mosaic set - have been edited in the download versions.

• 2 years later...

I don't recall if this has been discussed but Loren Schoenberg has been quietly making more of the Savory collection available through broadcasts.  Some of them are on Youtube.  The broadcast below is particularly substantial, containing two utterly amazing jam tracks from 1938 with Lester Young, Roy Eldridge, Benny Goodman, Teddy Wilson, two fine tracks led by Bunny Berigan, and two of the tracks from the famous 1938 jam session with Louis Armstrong, Jack Teagarden, and Fats Waller in MUCH better sound quality than any previous reissues.   I downloaded the music from Youtube and cut out the spoken part.  Very satisfying! 

7 hours ago, John L said:

I don't recall if this has been discussed but Loren Schoenberg has been quietly making more of the Savory collection available through broadcasts.  Some of them are on Youtube.  The broadcast below is particularly substantial, containing two utterly amazing jam tracks from 1938 with Lester Young, Roy Eldridge, Benny Goodman, Teddy Wilson, two fine tracks led by Bunny Berigan, and two of the tracks from the famous 1938 jam session with Louis Armstrong, Jack Teagarden, and Fats Waller in MUCH better sound quality than any previous reissues.   I downloaded the music from Youtube and cut out the spoken part.  Very satisfying! 

Wow!! those two Young/Eldridge/Goodman/Wilson tracks are something indeed - hope all of the tracks (6 in all from '38) Tea For Two, I Know That you Know, I Can't get started, Honeysuckle Rose, Blues & I Got Rhythm get a decent release (CD or download). Maybe Mosaic are planning on a second Savory box?

I'm having difficulty downloading this as an MP3 - have been successful (with web based YouTube to MP3 Converters) in the past. Not sure why - keep getting network errors & it stops downloading. Maybe it's something to do with the length of the broadcast (1hr 21mins)

Edited by romualdo

2 hours ago, romualdo said:

Wow!! those two Young/Eldridge/Goodman/Wilson tracks are something indeed - hope all of the tracks (6 in all from '38) Tea For Two, I Know That you Know, I Can't get started, Honeysuckle Rose, Blues & I Got Rhythm get a decent release (CD or download). Maybe Mosaic are planning on a second Savory box?

I'm having difficulty downloading this as an MP3 - have been successful (with web based YouTube to MP3 Converters) in the past. Not sure why - keep getting network errors & it stops downloading. Maybe it's something to do with the length of the broadcast (1hr 21mins)

Romualdo - Try this one - it worked for me https://yt2mp3.info/en37/

The Young/Eldridge/Goodman/Wilson tracks may not get any sort of release soon as the Benny Goodman estate has apparently been blocking the release of all recordings where he is present. 

13 hours ago, John L said:

Romualdo - Try this one - it worked for me https://yt2mp3.info/en37/

many thanks John - worked like a dream & the download time was soooo fast compared to the other web based converters I've been using. Looks like I'll stick with this one in future.

Used Audacity to extract the 6 relevant music tracks, declicked & saved as AIFF files then burnt to CDr

Edited by romualdo

On 7/7/2019 at 9:57 PM, gmonahan said:

Also an entire concert of Django Reinhardt with Duke Ellington. There are a few bits of their post-war tour together in the massive JSP Reinhardt collection, but not much.

On a Complete Django on Vogue set I have there's also (I think) part of the Duke with Django from their American tour of 1946 (I think). But I don't know how far that's identic to the Mosaic box, or if there's more there or on the set I have. I don't think the second applies.

2 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

On a Complete Django on Vogue set I have there's also (I think) part of the Duke with Django from their American tour of 1946 (I think). But I don't know how far that's identic to the Mosaic box, or if there's more there or on the set I have. I don't think the second applies.

The Savory recordings of Django with Duke are from Carnegie Hall not the wellknown recordings from Chicago. From the notes I made while listening at the museum Django played Honeysuckle rose (3:28) with the Ellington orchestra and Improvisation (solo 3:02)

Edited by miles65
Lay out trouble