Keely Smith, RIP

mjzee

Keely Smith, the iconic singer/performer known for her many solo recordings as well as her musical partnership with first husband Louis Prima died in Palm Springs, CA on Saturday, December 16.  She was 89 and under physicians’ care at the time of her passing from apparent heart failure.

See: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/17/iconic-vocalist-keely-smith-dies-from-apparent-heart-failure-at-89/

I'm so sorry to learn this.  She was one of my favorite singers.  I got to see her perform once about 18 years ago, I guess, when she was touring to promote one of her Concord Records releases.  She was still a  terrific performer then.  Since I had not heard any news about her in quite a while, I assumed she must have had some health issues.  I hope she is at rest now.  Thank you Ms. Smith for all your wonderful music.

(When I saw her perform, they had a table in the lobby where one could sign up for her mailing list.  For the next two years, right around this time of year, i got in the mail a free Keely Smith desk calendar.  Cool!)

On 12/17/2017 at 4:34 PM, JSngry said:

By all accounts, a true, gritty professional who never played softer than she really was. I've enjoyed a lot of her post-Prima work, especially when back by Nelson Riddle. RIP.

A lot of her late-1950s work with Riddle on this CD that I'm listening to right now:

MI0000070690.jpg?partner=allrovi.com