Kevin Mahogany R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

My gosh, that's awful news!  He was such a powerful singer, one I've enjoyed listening to for over 20 years after discovering him on his early CDs on the Enja label.  I only got to see him perform once and he was a good "live" singer too.

That's way too young for him to pass away.  I'm very thankful for the music he made and left for us to enjoy.  May he Rest In Peace.

Oh no! One of my favourite jazz singers has passed .... 

I saw him right here in town last year, and he was great but looked a bit tired and like he had some health issues. It was special as he had opened that concert series twenty years ago. I had been there, too, He had such a warm voice and feeling. I will miss him. He had everything I wanted from a jazz singer.

R.I.P., and many hearfelt thanks for the music.

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment/ent-columns-blogs/back-to-rockville/article190403104.html

I got to hang out backstage a couple different times with Kevin and his wife, back some 20+ years ago - at a club in KC that I used to frequent so much I practically worked there (for bigger shows - The Drum Room in Westport, for anyone who remembers KC back in the mid-90's), and I had free run of the place.

Kevin and his wife were always super nice, and very down to earth.  His wife was a photographer by trade (I think?), and I vaguely remember running into her around town at clubs, now and then - so I chatted with her even more than Kevin.  Really good people.

Really sorry to hear of this loss, and 59 is definitely young.  I understand his wife preceded him, RIP to both really good souls.

Not being a huge fan of vocal-jazz, I never sought out hearing Kevin on gigs around Kansas City (not that he played in town a whole ton), but I did catch him a few times -- but more than that, I seemed to run into him more often than I heard him.  Not lots, but maybe every year or so.

I just tried to find a good picture of both Kevin and his wife (Alllene) to post, and instead found this lovely slideshow (below) of photos from his wife's passing just back in June this year.  It's a little long (~10 minutes), but you can skip around - and it includes wedding photos, and other family and candid shots (more of his wife, of course).  I have good memories of both of them seeing this, and although it's a little personal, since it is public (Google brought it right up), I think I'll share it here.  Music, of course, is Kevin in the background.

http://www.creativephotoslideshows.com/Custom-Shows/Funeral-Memorials/Client-Memorial-Slideshows/Allene/i-cnpGrJS

Edited by Rooster_Ties