Way Out West deluxe edition.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'd gladly but a set like this, but not w/o digital, and definitely not at that price. And I am one of the more affectional Rollins-ites around. But I am not a sucker.

So are you going to buy a digital version? 

I really enjoy this album. Hell someone here actually turned me onto it a few years ago. But, I’m kinda bonus material’d nickel’d and dime’d to exhaustion at this point. Pretty much any money I spend on music these days will be for albums I don’t already own. 

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

So are you going to buy a digital version?

Not going to pay for a download, no. Thge only time I pay for a download is when I get a jones for some pop song that I get a bug up my ass about. NEver a whole album, NEVER. I will buy a CD version of this packaged if it is priced at what I feel is a non-sucker price, which for me is at or under 50 bucks, give or take a dollar or two, for the book, some kind of comparable boxing, and good old-fashioned regular CDs.

But if that doesn't come to pass, oh well. I'm not going to let people like this turn my religion into a tool for extortion. Never did it, never will.

I bought the Contemporary alternate takes LP as soon as it came out, and for sure I can see why the original choices were made, but the original is so deeply ingrained in me that the different takes made me sit up and take notice every second of the way. It's not so much that the outtakes were "inferior" as much as it was that the originally released takes were "perfect".

I don't think I'd have the same passion for all the alternate takes of, say, a Horace Silver date. But for me, Sonny is one of those guys who truly improvises. Iget emptionally and intellectually invested in people who do that, and when you know somebody's really pulling it out "in the moment", hey, I'll listen, and more than once.

sonny-rollins-alternate-takes-ab.jpg

cop034b.jpg

Funny thing about Rollins, for people who discovered his RCA work in the CD era, they got a totally different picture than did people who had engaged before then. That French 2 LP set of outtakes became part of the Rollins "canon" in the CD era. Before that, that stuff was more or less "unknown".

Same thing to a lesser degree with Atlantic Coltrane, especially the Alternate takes lp with Cedar playing Giant steps, my god, hearing that for the first time was like, have I had a stoke or something wtf is THIS? You know, there are some things that are sooo imprinted in your mind that you just come to accept that way as being "it". The when you hear "it" only it's not THAT....WHOA!

SZ82712.JPG+

like, WHOA, I'm still not over this one...

In this case you do...and pay out the ass, in fact.

I hope they're paying Sonny really well for this. And if it truly is going to be  "available at streaming outlets" and that does not mean only iTunes, and if I can download the four selections (2 of which are chatter) at a "normal" per track price point, then I will get what I need, forget about the book, and be done with that.

But in a sane and sensible world, Concord would have just put out an "expanded edition" CD of the Alternate Takes LP, put in a booklet like this one, and charged, like, $35.00 for it. I'd be all over that. But no, you got these goddam fetishists (apparently there really WAS as "Stereo Records" version of this http://www.rootsvinylguide.com/ebay_items/sonny-rollins-way-out-west-in-stereo-lp-near-mint-original-stereo-press , and OOOOH, YOU GET THAT FUCKING LABEL, HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!?!?!?) trying to tell me that this is worth eighty fucking dollars, and I'm telling them no fucking way, you guys can go fuck your own ass with the eighty dollars of mine that you're NOT getting, see how hip THAT is.

Fucking assholes...they can give me on and they'll still be assholes.

iTunes doesn’t have it listed for pre-sale yet, but I can tell you that on the Deluxe Edition of Sgt. Pepper’s (which is the two disc version) they do let you buy the bonus tracks from the second disc individually. So there’s hope. Most of the time they only go “album only” on tracks over 10 minutes. 

As for streaming, I’m sure it will be available on all of them. The free version of Spotify is a bit iffy sonically (160kbps) though still quite good, but Apple Music does have a three month free trial that you could take advantage of if you wanted it in CD quality. 

You know, I don't really care about "sound quality" for stuff like this at this point. It's not like it's going to be a radically new insight or anything, it's just...it would be like when you're making love to your wife and something subtly but noticeably different happens for a moment or two, it doesn't cause you to re-evaluate the meaning of life, it just gives you a little deeper appreciation of what's already happened and gives you a little boost of positivism to keep on going.

As far as Sonny Rollins and my wife go...the one time I saw him live was in Albuquerque, right after I had met her. She came along not knowing jack shit about him, or even jazz in general, but she was moved by the gig, and has been a fan ever since. Our tastes don't overlap all that much, but when they do, they overlap strong, so....just saying, I don't take Sonny Rollins for cheap in any way, and this kind of a stunt-fuck of a "reissue" disgusts me in a pretty basic way.

Then the free version of Spotify will be perfect for you. They have an online player so you don’t have to bother downloading the app. 

Stunt-fuck is a great summation. I have to wonder just how much money Sonny will get out of this. More importantly, how well it will sell to begin with. I’m interested in how much iTunes will be charging for it. They rarely do “special pricing” for anything. So I assume it will be about the same price as any other “double album” they offer. 

Hell, this may even drive more people into the download/streaming market. Especially those that still cling to the terrible sound quality of the mp3’s of yesteryear as the reason they’ve avoided it. 

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

So, wait, it's just $33.00 in France, and the label is listed as Fantasy Concord? Is the is the same set/packaging?

Seems so, though with amazon's lack in database managing skills you never really know ... the label is a sub of Concord's though, that's clear:

http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/labels/craft-recordings/

wow...that's a totally different price point...really must consider the French option...although, it's down to $72.19 on US Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Way-Out-West-LP-Deluxe/dp/B0742VSHG9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513865545&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=sonny+rollins+way+out+west+in+stereo

Still waaaay too high. But that French price...I'm interested.

2 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

What the hell? 

So they're just looking to rip off the American buyers?! 

Or rather I assume it's one of thse cases where they made a mistake ... however, the price is not crazy cheap in a way that they might cancel all orders (which sometimes they do - or they pretend the item is unavailable, cancel orders, and a few days later the item is back with a new, much higher price). If it's 70-80$, I guess it should be in the 50-60€ range ...