Lee Konitz Is 90!

Justin V

I don't think this was mentioned elsewhere, but the great Lee Konitz turned 90 on October 13th.  I had the privilege of seeing him perform two sets the following day at the Kennedy Center, where the crowd sang 'Happy Birthday' and someone brought out a cake, with members of Lee's family in the audience.   My wife took some photos at the end of the second set, so I will try to post them later.  I hadn't seen him perform since February 2015, and I hope that I don't go that long without seeing him perform again.  Here's wishing Lee Konitz the best.

My own Lee Konitz story happened around 1999 when I was about 18 so my brother was 13... new neighbors had moved in and we heard saxophone playing from their apartment - my brother  said "they play so much better than you" ... turned out that Lee Konitz had visited them and practised a little [which doesn't mean that it takes Lee Konitz to play better than me - still, this was the only time it happened in my own house]. Wishing him the best, too.