Roswell Rudd (1935-2017)

clifford_thornton

It's very sad to read this. Mr. Rudd was/is one of my favorite musicians. I heard him play live several times, beginning in 1968, and he never lost that beautiful tone and his sense of adventure. I had the opportunity to speak with him after two of the gigs and had the impression that I was speaking with a kind, open person, He made our world a better place.

Thank you, Mr. Rudd. You'll be missed.

Roswell Rudd  
passed away last night after a valiant, spirited fight with the emperor of all maladies. 

We were honored to be introduced to Roswell by Jamie Saft in 2015, which lead to us working with him in releasing Strength & Power (with Jamie Saft, Trevor Dunn and Balazs Pandi), and then, under the auspices of his partner, producer Verna Gillis, Embrace (with Fay Victor, Lafayette Harris and Ken Filiano). 

Two only apparently polar works of art, united by the exquisite voice, sensitivity, humanity and boundless curiosity of Roswell. May his voice resonate in perpetuity.

We all at RareNoise are close to his partner Verna and their family in these very testing times.

RareNoise 

11 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

It appears that Rudd was another man who lost the battle with prostate cancer: http://downbeat.com/news/detail/roswell-rudd-feted-at-82nd-birthday-bash

To all the men over 45 reading this, make sure to get a baseline PSA and don't fear the finger. It could prolong your life.

I got a colonoscopy @ 50 and was found to be pre-cancerous and had it dealt with then.  Have had four more since then, and am glad I did.  Sorry for the loss of Mr. Rudd, who made some really interesting music, especially those Freedom albums in the 70's.

On 12/22/2017 at 4:51 PM, Stereojack said:

A marvelous musician whose ears were always wide open. I got to see him with Shepp in 1966 or 67, and had the pleasure of meeting him 40 years later when he was staying at a friend's house while in town for a gig. A nice fellow and a beautiful musical spirit. 

I had the good fortune to be at the same dinner as Stereo Jack at a mutual friend's house.  I recall Roswell as being modest and enormously insightful.