What Christmas Jazz (and beyond) CD (or LP) are you listening to right now?

mikeweil

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my last holiday disc for the season:

MI0002803077.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0001363428.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

On 12/23/2017 at 3:58 AM, Big Beat Steve said:

31313068kj.jpg

31313069fh.jpg

I was kind of disappointed by that disc.  I saw the HCSF perform songs from the CD during a holiday concert the year that disc came out and the songs seemed much better "live".  Maybe they had had more time to live & work with the arrangements or maybe they could relate to the material better because the concert was in December and they could really feel the holiday spirit then (which can be hard to do in a recording studio months before Christmas)..  The CD is "ok", but the concert was "really good".

I would't totally disagree with you. I pull out the CD about once a year and find it quite OK and fitting for the calm and relaxed Christmas Eve setting so I enjoy it each time. But I can well imagine some of the tunes come across better when performed live in a suitable setting. In general, what I find a bit of a drag about some bands fo this type is that they often come across as too "clean". They seem to be too intent on showing all facets of their instrumental skills and forget to just "BLOW". The violinist on this one, for example ought to have listened a bit less to latter-day Joe Venuti and Eddie South but more to Stephane Grapelly or even to Stuff Smith.

I've only one other HCSF CD (bought after recommendations on this board along with the above one years ago) but when it comes to today's "Hot Club" small groups, I do prefer the Hot Club of Cowtown.

• 10 months later...