What Christmas Jazz (and beyond) CD (or LP) are you listening to right now?

mikeweil

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It took a  long time to find an affordable copy of this disc, but i found a still sealed copy at a reasonable price this year.

91GsWMip8GL._SX355_.jpg

Johnny Costa, the pianist from Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, recorded this CD back in 1996 it looks like.  Good swinging performances and one tune ("Kingly Gifts") was even co-written by Mr. Rogers!

I've always loved this song.  I'm surprised more singers have not recorded it.

Gerry Mulligan recorded his own vocal version of this song many years later.  I heard that version before I even knew about the existence of this one.  Learning about this recording by the two of them makes that later recording all the more poignant.

Edited by duaneiac

61Q0jnxNBxL.jpg

This disc also includes 4 tracks by Bill Doggett interspersed among the Charles Brown tracks.  When I first got this CD decades ago, I thought those Doggett tracks were kind of cheesy, but now I have come to enjoy them.

R-3874946-1347712119-7010.jpeg.jpg

Holiday music from the likes of Solomon Burke, George Jones & Tammy Wynette, Rufus Thomas, Foghat, Huey Piano Smith and little Augie Rios among others.