What Christmas Jazz (and beyond) CD (or LP) are you listening to right now?

mikeweil

7 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Rhoda sings on a couple of tracks... not terribly effectively in my view. Caveat emptor.

MG

Thanks for the warning. I will look for audio excerpts, but probably will not mind if she's not as fine a singer as she is an organist.

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting ready for preparing Xmas evening background music and believe it or not  - in addition to a few swing and R&B Yuletide compilations and the Cool Yule CD by the Hot Club of San Francisco  this year the "Kenton Christmas" album will figure high on the list. ^_^ IMO it works surprisingly well yet I hope I won't frighten my spouse and son out of the room! :D

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Never really listened to jazz versions of Xmas music although I had been thinking of buying Don Patterson’s Holiday Soul. 

I actually liked that one less than I thought I would. Of the two Prestige "Holiday Soul" LPs, I prefer Bobby Timmons' version to Patterson's.

If it's Christmas music played on the organ, I would recommend Barbara Dennerlein's "Christmas Soul", Jimmy Smith's "Christmas Cookin'", organissimo's Christmas downloads (if the downloads are still there) or Harry Allen's "Christmas in Swingtime". I might also say to check out Joey DeFrancesco's "Home For The Holidays", but it's only available for big bucks right now.

Or you can listen on You Tube:

2 hours ago, bresna said:

I actually liked that one less than I thought I would. Of the two Prestige "Holiday Soul" LPs, I prefer Bobby Timmons' version to Patterson's.

If it's Christmas music played on the organ, I would recommend Barbara Dennerlein's "Christmas Soul", Jimmy Smith's "Christmas Cookin'", organissimo's Christmas downloads (if the downloads are still there) or Harry Allen's "Christmas in Swingtime". I might also say to check out Joey DeFrancesco's "Home For The Holidays", but it's only available for big bucks right now.

Or you can listen on You Tube:

Thanks. It doesn’t necessarily have to be organ. Have you listened to the Duke Pearson one?