Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeweil

What Christmas Jazz (and beyond) CD (or LP) are you listening to right now?

113 posts in this topic

Just now, danasgoodstuff said:

I love that the last two on Prestige are consecutive catalog numbers and share the same title - how lazy a day were they having at the office that day? Both fine records, but couldn't they at least call one 'Holiday Soul' and the other 'Soul Holiday'!?

They even were recorded on two consecutive days! I think they were titled like that on purpose.

14 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

They even were recorded on two consecutive days! I think they were titled like that on purpose.

Maybe it was meant as the start of an ongoing series?

Soliday Houl?

Solid Houlay?

Holy Soulidarity!

Edited by mikeweil

71QNCAd7AuL._SS500_.jpg

I had to give this one a listen since it arrived in the mail (from a usually reliable Amazon market vendor) with all the CD tray teef broken and I wanted to make sure it plays okay.

Pro:  It does not contain a version of "The  Little Drummer Boy".  This is vitally important when considering the purchase of a Christmas music CD.  +20 points

Con:  It does contain a version of "Do You Hear What I Hear?"  -5points.  This version is over 4 minutes long.  An additional -5 points penalty.

Pros:  The New Birth Brass Band.  Yep, they are pros and they solidly deliver on their two tracks, especially "Santa's Second Line".  +10 points

Profound Pro:  Allen Toussaint!  His two solo piano tracks here were really the reason I bought this CD in the first place.  They are as wonderful  as you might expect.  If they are available to purchase as downloads from your vendor of choice, do not hesitate to do so.  + Infinite points

Con:  Most of the other tracks are pleasant enough, nothing really dreadful, but nothing spectacular either.  The whole album is produced by Allen Toussaint, so that's a sign of quality right there.  This track kind of grows on you.  Don't give up on it too soon.  Mr. T makes those ivories chime!

On 10/24/2020 at 6:23 PM, jlhoots said:

None yet - BUT I'll get my Mars Williams Ayler Christmas CDs out soon.

Played Vol. 1,2,3 - have vol.4, but haven't played it yet, coming up soon.

Houston Person Etta Jones “Together At Christmas”.  

A 2011 release, but I only got a copy of this disc recently, so it's a first listen for me.

R-13732364-1560005966-8625.jpeg.jpg

On 27.11.2020 at 10:28 PM, duaneiac said:

A 2011 release, but I only got a copy of this disc recently, so it's a first listen for me.

R-13732364-1560005966-8625.jpeg.jpg

Me want!

My wife and I chimed in the season with these two favourites:

R-11134998-1510501294-3581.jpeg.jpg

R-10087900-1491393849-2838.jpeg.jpg

GUEST_ae40a889-45df-4ebd-8195-e8bedbb411

While this sequel may not be up to the level of the first album (one of my holiday favorites), it's still quite enjoyable.

As usual, first Christmas cd played is 6 String Santa-Joe Pass.

On 11/9/2020 at 2:17 PM, jlhoots said:

Played Vol. 1,2,3 - have vol.4, but haven't played it yet, coming up soon.

Played Vol. 4 - excellent!!