In the Pressing Matter of Lights on Trees ...

When it comes to the Christmas tree, make my lights ...  

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe the question of Die Hard didn't excite too many people, but seeing the pic of the Alfredson's tree in the current Christmas thread, with its white lights, reminds me of this "other" important question of the holiday season.

I think when I was a kid I wanted colored lights but after I got older I realized that Mom was right: with the right ornaments on the tree, you need a neutral light to make everything sparkle with its own color. Way better. And glad my wife agreed, once I explained the concept. Too bad with a not-quite two year old puppy we're not putting up the tree until he mellows out some more or I'd post pictures.

So what about you?

Clear, and it isn’t even close. We decorate the hell out of the interior of our home. Some of our animated Christmas village pieces have multi-colored lights, but the tree, stairway railing, bay window in the kitchen, and 16ft red brick fireplace all have clear mostly intertwined with garland and ribbons. I think we put up a total of 1200 lights this year. We’ve started our transition to LED lights this year. 

2 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

All I know is that THIS kind of Christmas tree "decoration" would make me feel freezin' icy cold in no time at all ...

http://www.shorpy.com/node/505?size=_original#caption

Different traditions, I guess ...

That tree is frightening.

We have clear lights on our tree. As Dan said, they do "make everything sparkle with its own color".  
Before we met, my wife always had her tree decorated with blue and white decorations. So now. the compromise is one side of tree is decorated blue and white for her, and the other side is decorated with colorful decorations for me.