stereo system rack

GA Russell

What Kevin said. 

Just get something sturdy that you won't mind looking at for years to come. If you want to spend big bucks on Mapleshade, that's cool. They make incredibly beautiful furniture. Just know there will be zero difference in functionality. 

I've got my main rig set up in the living room on an entertainment center with hardwood legs and smoked glass shelves. I think we paid around $200, but you can find excellent quality for less. We bought it strictly for the looks. 

4 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Kevin, I am slowly building my system when things go on sale.  So nothing has been played yet.

By the way, isn't there somewhere here a discussion of cables, and whether good ones are worth the price?

There is, but it goes sideways pretty quickly. I’d suggest starting a new one. 

Or just continue here. What kind of cables are you looking for? RCA? HDMI? Speaker? TosLink? 

Re cables: My dealer gave me three different cables for my SACD player to try and compare. If you can't hear any difference, why spend big bucks? If you do hear a difference, it will increase your listening joys. Depends on your ears, the listening brain, and all the components of your system. And your budget, of course.

Cables: People have different takes on this subject. I can only give my own experience (and it's exactly that - nothing more, nothing less). Like Mike, my dealer lent me three sets of cables to compare. I kept them for over a month and kept each in my system for at least a week. Listening over extended periods, I found that I could hear some differences and eventually preferred one over the other two.
Again, just my experience. I know that others have different opinions. If you can find a cooperative dealer, try to do extended comparisons and judge for yourself.

20 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Thanks, guys.  Yes, that is sharp, but I am not really interested in the looks - only whether it does the job well.

By the way, my receiver has a phonograph preamp.  If I were to buy a preamp made for my turntable, would it improve the sound?

Regarding the phono preamp - depending on the make/model of your receiver, you could already have a very good phono preamp built in. In fact, schematically, you could have an identical phono preamp to a free-standing phono preamp on the market. There are limited ways to boost up a phono signal and add the RIAA equalization (again, schematically). If you hook it up and it sounds good to your ears, why worry?

As an example, I once owned a McIntosh MX110 tube preamp that had a built-in tube phono pre-amp. That built-in phono pre-amp was wired up using several tubes that are used in many high end tube phono pre-amps. Most are wired up in the exact same way (schematically). Sure, the quality of the construction could come into play, but the audio amplification should be pretty much the same. I never felt the need to use an external phono pre-amp with that preamplifier. You may find yourself in the same situation with your current system.

Here's where I am now:

Mail order store Audio Advisor currently has a sale on Pangea racks.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGVULRK

My receiver is an Onkyo  TX-8255.

My turntable is a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.  Amazon has the Pro-Ject pre-amp for $79.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YEK1AQ/

Audio Advisor has been promoting its Pangea cables, which are the work of a guy named Jay Victor.  Perhaps you know and have an opinion of him.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGICCARR

TTK, the visual aesthetic which affects my perception is what the bill looks like!!!

14 hours ago, GA Russell said:

My receiver is an Onkyo  TX-8255.

My turntable is a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon.  Amazon has the Pro-Ject pre-amp for $79.00
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000YEK1AQ/

I highly doubt that Pro-Ject's entry-level phono pre-amplifier's circuitry will be much different from the built-in phono pre-amplifier in your Onkyo receiver.

Again, the phono pre-amp only needs to boost up an audio signal by ~45 dB for a MM cartridge and apply the RIAA equilization. This can be done with very little circuitry (which is why that Pro-Ject box is so small). The basic circuit only needs about 14-20 circuit elements per channel. High-end pre-amps take this basic schematic and add bias control circuitry, additional noise filtration and other things to improve the clarity of the signal. I doubt that this little Pro-Ject box has much of that.

15 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Audio Advisor has been promoting its Pangea cables, which are the work of a guy named Jay Victor.  Perhaps you know and have an opinion of him.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGICCARR

Although I generally recommend Monoprice audio cables, it seems like you want a step up. My preferred "step up" audio cable is Blue Jean Cable. Their 3 foot long BJC LC-1 stereo (pair) is $35.75. I've never used Pangea cables but I have several Blue Jean cables in my systems. They also make excellent speaker wire for the money.

I misread GA's previous post thinking he'd already purchased everything. 

That said, I know jack shit about TT preamps, but WILL definitely second Kevin's recommendation of Monoprice and Blue Jean Cables. Great quality, low price, 100% bullshit-free. 

I went with similarly priced Emotiva cables for aesthetic purposes. But cables from either of those two companies will serve you perfectly and spare your wallet. 

If you're still in the cable market, Audioquest Red River interconnect (have not tried speaker) is great affordable option. 

Re: Receiver / Phono Preamps - Its really about the cartridge you are using. If you are using Moving Magnet carts, typically, high output, then I agree with Kevin, the Onkyo phono circuit should be fine. If you plan on using Moving Coil carts, then you'll need an adjustable phono preamp to match the MC's output level.

Either way, its a fun hobby. Looks like a nice setup. Have fun!

just an extra opinion about turntable pre-amps. I did find that, with a semi-high-end turntable (I have a VPI TNT junior) pre-amps made a big difference. Don't know about other kinds; I sold my conrad johnson, which was a great tube thing, and replaced it with a very small but very good-sounding NAD. The NAD is definitely not on the same level as the tube thing, but it does the job amazingly well for its size and price.