BFT 166 Discussion Thread

Dan Gould

Well I know its early but Felser posted his answers a tad  early in anticipation of New Year's travels and Thom posted mine early since he's traveling this weekend and I am heading to Mom's and will be mostly offline especially on Monday so here goes:

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

18 tracks so thanks in advance for your indulgence.  A gimme here, an obscurity there and best of all, three guitar tracks for Jim R.'s consideration. :g 

And if you think you heard Gene Harris, think again.

I have played this Blindfold Test once. I recognize many of the song titles but almost none of the artists yet. I am going to give this BFT some more careful listens.

That will be a pleasure, as this BFT could be used as a very enjoyable playlist for a car trip or an evening at home.

I know the first song though. It is Jay McShann performing "Round Midnight". It is the opening track on the Sackville LP, "Kansas City Hustle." That is one of my favorite Jay McShann albums. I think it was reissued on CD in a compilation package with other albums. I have that CD set too, but am away from my CD collection and have not dug it out yet.

Edited by Hot Ptah

14 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

I have played this Blindfold Test once. I recognize many of the song titles but almost none of the artists yet. I am going to give this BFT some more careful listens.

That will be a pleasure, as this BFT could be used as a very enjoyable playlist for a car trip or an evening at home.

I know the first song though. It is Jay McShann performing "Round Midnight". It is the opening track on the Sackville LP, "Kansas City Hustle." That is one of my favorite Jay McShann albums. I think it was reissued on CD in a compilation package with other albums. I have that CD set too, but am away from my CD collection and have not dug it out yet.

Well done HP. I've not had the record very long at all - found a dirt-cheap clean copy on discogs last month, to go with another Sackville release found in November.  I decided to include it because it doesn't strike me as the most "JAY" recording he ever did while being aware that even if it doesn't sound overwhelmingly like McShann, there was a distinct chance someone would have the recording and recognize it.

Looking forward to your other comments.

As I have lived in Kansas City since 1982, I had regular opportunities to see Jay McShamn live. I saw him perform more than 20 times. He was a much more versatile pianist than the blues and boogie which may come to mind when one thinks of him. He performed a lot of material live which was like this “Round Midnight”.

Man, not a lot I knew here.  Some just didn't click, some absolutely nailed it.  Gotta say, this one took awhile (four separate sittings).  

Track 01 - At times, almost flirts with Mal Waldron's phrasing, but too busy.  Obviously Round Midnight, but not sure the player.  Sure makes me wish I could play piano, though.

Track 02 - Reminds me a bit of Don Pullen's album, Tomorrow's Promises.  Because of that, I can't get the notion of Randy Brecker out of my mind.  Has that South African feel, but more like a stateside band playing in that style.  Not sure if it clicks.  Not feeling the tenor player.  Best thing I can say is, it's not Michael Brecker.  Seems to have that approach that a lot of the 80s musical secretaries had -- too many influences outside of the realm in which they are playing.

Track 03 - Didn't dig the drums in the beginning in the least.  When the band kicks in, though, there's a lot of affinity for this.  Alto is doing to me what the tenor player on the last track did.  I like both more than most guys who play in this style, but it's not my bag.  That alto's tone is pinging for me, but I can't say why.  All over the bone, though.  Everything seems to click as soon as he comes in.  Not any of "my" guys, but I'm totally digging what he's bringing to the table.  Some shades of Frank Foster in that tenor, but again, more out of that play-it-all generation.  Digging the tenor, though.  Rippin'!  

Track 04 - Sugar, obviously.  Drummer's time leads me to think European.  Tenor is tasteful, but I'm not getting much of a feel for who he is.  Good player, but not something I'm compelled to own.  No guess on the brassy trumpet.  Arrangement is kind of clunky, like a late night TV show band might do.  Again, diggin' the bone.  Has almost a Knepper-esque quiver.

Track 05 - Saw Billy Bang do a tune with this sort of drum riff, and as it was developing (Mike Carvin) Billy rasped, "Got that James Brown shit goin' on."  I forget the title... is it Billy Joe, or the Tallehatchie (sp?) Bridge?  Doesn't offend, but can't say I'm diggin' it, either.  Rhythm on the tenor seems just a shade off.  I want to like it, but it keeps poking me with these little rhythmic "offs".  Something familiar in the tone, but not enough to hazard a guess.

Track 06 - Block chords, Red.  It's track 2, side 2, from this, but I'm guessing this is from the 32Jazz reissue based on the sound of the cymbals.  

Track 07 - Everything Happens To Me.  Something is making me think Konitz, but it's not him.  Very clean sound, but with a bit of a rasp, too.  Sort of like an edgy Frank Morgan. There's a sparseness in the chord voicings that has me thinking Horace Parlan.  This one is an absolute winner.

Track 08 - And this one elicits the opposite response.  NOTHING about that alto working for me.  Overblowing and scoopsville.  I'll pass.  Gave up at 2:40.  

Track 09 - No idea on this one.  Very pleasant. 

Track 10 - That's gotta be Randy Weston.  Or not.  

Track 11 - A howler.  I appreciate it, but have no guesses.  This is a long-ass BFT!

Track 12 - Fun, but not my thing.  Reminds me of a Tom Waits lyric: "The band is awful and so are the tunes."  It's not THAT level, but it's just not what I gravitate towards.  This is very familiar to me, but I wouldn't seek it out.  Is it possible this was part of a recent BFT?

Track 13 - Methinks I smell a Pablo date.  Leaning Arnett Cobb.  

Track 14 - I guessed Randy Weston, already, but that sure seems to be hinting at High Fly.  And so it is.  Not sure if I'm buying this or not.  The laidback approach seems very forced.  The rhythm is a little off (think Ricky Ford), and I'm not sure if I buy his technique.  I want to like it, but I'm not there.  Like the piano a lot.  I don't think the player is as old as he sounds, and I think that's where it's missing for me.

Track 15 - No guesses, not a lot of impressions.

Track 16 - Misty with a heavily effected (for my taste) guitar.  Somebody that has listened to a fair amount of Jim Hall, but isn't quite there to my ear.  Perhaps Barney Kessel?

Track 17 - Just a standard shuffle blues.  No guesses, but nothing really striking me one way or the other.

Track 18 - I know this.  I swear I had this on vinyl growing up.  It was my favorite Bird tune growing up.  I can't peg this and I know I don't still have it.  But I DEFINITELY owned this.  I remember that intro chorus vividly.  Trying to reason out the player.  Has that live recording of the period sound.  Touches of Eddie Harris, a bit of Newk, not quite to either guy's level (though it could certainly be Eddie).  Either way, this is REAL.  This guy is working, whether it works or not, he's after it.  I would be so excited to see somebody do something like this live.  Closest I've come in recent vintage was a night of Bill McHenry at a nothing club in NH with a local guy on bass and a drummer who was supposed to be somebody.  Bill was killin' it all night.  Nothing fancy, just like this (different style, but I mean, FEEL).  We were diggin' it and he was feeding off of us.  That's what's supposed to happen.  This HAS that.  This one is absolutely killin' for me.  D'oh!  Right up until the change in tune... rarely care for that.

2 hours ago, tkeith said:

Man, not a lot I knew here.  Some just didn't click, some absolutely nailed it.  Gotta say, this one took awhile (four separate sittings).  

Track 01 - At times, almost flirts with Mal Waldron's phrasing, but too busy.  Obviously Round Midnight, but not sure the player.  Sure makes me wish I could play piano, though.

Track 02 - Reminds me a bit of Don Pullen's album, Tomorrow's Promises.  Because of that, I can't get the notion of Randy Brecker out of my mind.  Has that South African feel, but more like a stateside band playing in that style.  Not sure if it clicks.  Not feeling the tenor player.  Best thing I can say is, it's not Michael Brecker.  Seems to have that approach that a lot of the 80s musical secretaries had -- too many influences outside of the realm in which they are playing.

Track 03 - Didn't dig the drums in the beginning in the least.  When the band kicks in, though, there's a lot of affinity for this.  Alto is doing to me what the tenor player on the last track did.  I like both more than most guys who play in this style, but it's not my bag.  That alto's tone is pinging for me, but I can't say why.  All over the bone, though.  Everything seems to click as soon as he comes in.  Not any of "my" guys, but I'm totally digging what he's bringing to the table.  Some shades of Frank Foster in that tenor, but again, more out of that play-it-all generation.  Digging the tenor, though.  Rippin'!  

Track 04 - Sugar, obviously.  Drummer's time leads me to think European.  Tenor is tasteful, but I'm not getting much of a feel for who he is.  Good player, but not something I'm compelled to own.  No guess on the brassy trumpet.  Arrangement is kind of clunky, like a late night TV show band might do.  Again, diggin' the bone.  Has almost a Knepper-esque quiver.

Track 05 - Saw Billy Bang do a tune with this sort of drum riff, and as it was developing (Mike Carvin) Billy rasped, "Got that James Brown shit goin' on."  I forget the title... is it Billy Joe, or the Tallehatchie (sp?) Bridge?  Doesn't offend, but can't say I'm diggin' it, either.  Rhythm on the tenor seems just a shade off.  I want to like it, but it keeps poking me with these little rhythmic "offs".  Something familiar in the tone, but not enough to hazard a guess.

Track 06 - Block chords, Red.  It's track 2, side 2, from this, but I'm guessing this is from the 32Jazz reissue based on the sound of the cymbals.  

Track 07 - Everything Happens To Me.  Something is making me think Konitz, but it's not him.  Very clean sound, but with a bit of a rasp, too.  Sort of like an edgy Frank Morgan. There's a sparseness in the chord voicings that has me thinking Horace Parlan.  This one is an absolute winner.

Track 08 - And this one elicits the opposite response.  NOTHING about that alto working for me.  Overblowing and scoopsville.  I'll pass.  Gave up at 2:40.  

Track 11 - A howler.  I appreciate it, but have no guesses.  This is a long-ass BFT!

Track 12 - Fun, but not my thing.  Reminds me of a Tom Waits lyric: "The band is awful and so are the tunes."  It's not THAT level, but it's just not what I gravitate towards.  This is very familiar to me, but I wouldn't seek it out.  Is it possible this was part of a recent BFT?

Track 13 - Methinks I smell a Pablo date.  Leaning Arnett Cobb.  

Track 14 - I guessed Randy Weston, already, but that sure seems to be hinting at High Fly.  And so it is.  Not sure if I'm buying this or not.  The laidback approach seems very forced.  The rhythm is a little off (think Ricky Ford), and I'm not sure if I buy his technique.  I want to like it, but I'm not there.  Like the piano a lot.  I don't think the player is as old as he sounds, and I think that's where it's missing for me.

Track 16 - Misty with a heavily effected (for my taste) guitar.  Somebody that has listened to a fair amount of Jim Hall, but isn't quite there to my ear.  Perhaps Barney Kessel?

Track 17 - Just a standard shuffle blues.  No guesses, but nothing really striking me one way or the other.

Track 18 - I know this.  I swear I had this on vinyl growing up.  It was my favorite Bird tune growing up.  I can't peg this and I know I don't still have it.  But I DEFINITELY owned this.  I remember that intro chorus vividly.  Trying to reason out the player.  Has that live recording of the period sound.  Touches of Eddie Harris, a bit of Newk, not quite to either guy's level (though it could certainly be Eddie).  Either way, this is REAL.  This guy is working, whether it works or not, he's after it.  I would be so excited to see somebody do something like this live.  Closest I've come in recent vintage was a night of Bill McHenry at a nothing club in NH with a local guy on bass and a drummer who was supposed to be somebody.  Bill was killin' it all night.  Nothing fancy, just like this (different style, but I mean, FEEL).  We were diggin' it and he was feeding off of us.  That's what's supposed to happen.  This HAS that.  This one is absolutely killin' for me.  D'oh!  Right up until the change in tune... rarely care for that.

Thanks for indulging me, Thom. Your comments are always interesting even when a number of tracks did not click for you.  As you've probably seen, Round Midnight was already identified; I'm guessing that Jay McShann did not occur to you on the first pass thru. This was the response I kinda expected from those not familiar with this solo recording.

And you are right on #6 of course. Thought Leo Wright was a nice surprise soloist for a BFT.

I am going to let your other musings set for a while and let others join in. I'm sure a few will be identified before the big reveal.

On 1/5/2018 at 4:19 PM, tkeith said:

Track 03 - Didn't dig the drums in the beginning in the least.  When the band kicks in, though, there's a lot of affinity for this.  Alto is doing to me what the tenor player on the last track did.  I like both more than most guys who play in this style, but it's not my bag.  That alto's tone is pinging for me, but I can't say why.  All over the bone, though.  Everything seems to click as soon as he comes in.  Not any of "my" guys, but I'm totally digging what he's bringing to the table.  Some shades of Frank Foster in that tenor, but again, more out of that play-it-all generation.  Digging the tenor, though.  Rippin'!  More than shades of Frank Foster

Track 04 - Sugar, obviously.  Drummer's time leads me to think European.  Tenor is tasteful, but I'm not getting much of a feel for who he is.  Good player, but not something I'm compelled to own.  No guess on the brassy trumpet.  Arrangement is kind of clunky, like a late night TV show band might do.  Again, diggin' the bone.  Has almost a Knepper-esque quiver. Not sure if drummer is European. Band is not. And you should reconsider the judgement on the arrangement, if reputation matters.

Track 05 - Saw Billy Bang do a tune with this sort of drum riff, and as it was developing (Mike Carvin) Billy rasped, "Got that James Brown shit goin' on."  I forget the title... is it Billy Joe, or the Tallehatchie (sp?) Bridge?  Doesn't offend, but can't say I'm diggin' it, either.  Rhythm on the tenor seems just a shade off.  I want to like it, but it keeps poking me with these little rhythmic "offs".  Something familiar in the tone, but not enough to hazard a guess. Tenor was the reason I programmed this. Not a big name, but a name nonetheless. Few leader dates though.

Track 07 - Everything Happens To Me.  Something is making me think Konitz, but it's not him.  Very clean sound, but with a bit of a rasp, too.  Sort of like an edgy Frank Morgan. There's a sparseness in the chord voicings that has me thinking Horace Parlan.  This one is an absolute winner. It is Horace.

Track 13 - Methinks I smell a Pablo date.  Leaning Arnett Cobb.  Neither Arnett nor a Pablo date. 

Track 14 - I guessed Randy Weston, already, but that sure seems to be hinting at High Fly.  And so it is.  Not sure if I'm buying this or not.  The laidback approach seems very forced.  The rhythm is a little off (think Ricky Ford), and I'm not sure if I buy his technique.  I want to like it, but I'm not there.  Like the piano a lot.  I don't think the player is as old as he sounds, and I think that's where it's missing for me. Definitely a tenor "name" though under-appreciated thru his lengthy career.

It is Eddie. When he wanders by Jim will give all the details.

There you go Thom, wanted to give you credit where its due before Jim comes in ... :g

#2 sounds like a theme from some 70's sitcom. I've heard it before but I can't recall who it is. Like this.

#3 Nice drum opening and odd time signature at the start of the piano. This too sounds like a thee song from a 70's or 80's police drama. Like this one too.

#4. Stanley Turrentine's "Sugar." One of the first jazz tunes I learned to play on trumpet and other instruments. Is it Huston Person on tenor? At first I thought it was him but then no so much. 

#5 Ode To Billy Joe. No idea who this is. 

#6 Bags' Groove. Knowing I have dozens of takes of this tune in my digitized music collection, I was going to sample all of them to see if I have this one. In deed I do. It was recorded at the Keystone Korner. 

I Left My Heart...

#7 Everything Happens To Me. I don't know who this is. I like this version and will put it on my list of CDs to buy. 

#8 Don't know this one. I have no guesses. 

#9 Same. No clue to who this is.

#10 I thought this was going to be Horace Silver's "Senor Blues" with the opening melody. It quickly changed. It is still a blues. I don't know who it is playing "Hoodoo Man"

#11 No idea but something I will also add to my list of music to get. 

#12 No idea and I really didn't care for this track. Sorry. 

#13 No idea.

#14 Weston's "Hi Fly."  No guesses.

#15 No clue.

#16 "Misty" I will get back on this one. I am sure I have this. 

#17 No guesses.

#18 "Now's The time" No idea.  

13 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

#2 sounds like a theme from some 70's sitcom. I've heard it before but I can't recall who it is. Like this.

#3 Nice drum opening and odd time signature at the start of the piano. This too sounds like a thee song from a 70's or 80's police drama. Like this one too.

#4. Stanley Turrentine's "Sugar." One of the first jazz tunes I learned to play on trumpet and other instruments. Is it Huston Person on tenor? At first I thought it was him but then no so much. Not Houston.

#5 Ode To Billy Joe. No idea who this is. Well someone got the title at least. ;)

#6 Bags' Groove. Knowing I have dozens of takes of this tune in my digitized music collection, I was going to sample all of them to see if I have this one. In deed I do. It was recorded at the Keystone Korner.  I hope you didn't have to pull out too many to find the right one.

I Left My Heart...

#7 Everything Happens To Me. I don't know who this is. I like this version and will put it on my list of CDs to buy. 

#8 Don't know this one. I have no guesses. 

#9 Same. No clue to who this is.

#10 I thought this was going to be Horace Silver's "Senor Blues" with the opening melody. It quickly changed. It is still a blues. I don't know who it is playing "Hoodoo Man" He does keep that hypnotic bassline going thru out though.  Had to include it for the head-fake and especially because this was several years before "Riki Don't Lose That Number" was a glint in Steely Dan's eyes. Someone beat them to the idea of using a Horace Silver bassline! :g

#11 No idea but something I will also add to my list of music to get. Glad to hear that, I consider this man's work to be 'the greatest blues/soul records no one knows about."

#12 No idea and I really didn't care for this track. Sorry. 

#13 No idea.

#14 Weston's "Hi Fly."  No guesses.

#15 No clue.

#16 "Misty" I will get back on this one. I am sure I have this. 

#17 No guesses.

#18 "Now's The time" No idea.  

Thanks Tom!

Edited by Dan Gould

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Dan Gould said:

Assuming I don't put it out of its misery sooner.

Please wait until the last day of the month. I have noticed that there is often a down time in the middle of the month for the Blindfold Tests, and then another flurry of activity in the last few days of the month.  Also the entire board going down for a few days did not help. I think some members are just returning again.

Sneaking a listen at work tonight. 

1. An interesting 'Round Midnight. Each chorus, there's an unexpectedly sweet chord around the seventh bar of the bridge, where Monk is much tarter. This is lovely, though. The short coda is very pleasing. 

2. This is from a Jack Walrath album, I think Neohippus with Carter Jefferson on tenor. If I were at home I could run down the exact ID. Good one. 

3. Is that alto Bobby Watson?  

11 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

Sneaking a listen at work tonight. 

1. An interesting 'Round Midnight. Each chorus, there's an unexpectedly sweet chord around the seventh bar of the bridge, where Monk is much tarter. This is lovely, though. The short coda is very pleasing. 

2. This is from a Jack Walrath album, I think Neohippus with Carter Jefferson on tenor. If I were at home I could run down the exact ID. Good one. 

3. Is that alto Bobby Watson?  

Two is Jack Walrath but tenor is not Carter Jefferson.

Three is not Bobby Watson.