Is this the era of women in Jazz?

Scott Dolan

Yes, it sounds like a funny question. But this week I’ve listened to albums from Kris Davis, Tomeka Reid, Esperanza Spalding, Mary 

Halvorson, and Jaimie Branch, all of which were top flight! I can’t think of another era where female Jazz musicians were so plentiful. 

Does anyone else see this? Do you have any favorites of your own? 

Currently listening to Planktonic Finales from Ingrid Laubrock, Stephan Crump, and Cory Smythe. 

I'm a fan of Samantha Boshnack. Only know her from two Reptet recordings I have, not her solo work. Her compositions are intriguing colored with a fun sense of humor (ex. Zeppo, Harpo, Chico, Groucho from Do This!). When they performed in Cleveland a few years ago I spoke briefly to her. Very personable and interesting. Speaking of Reptet, I hope John E. is doing well.

Agreed. Mr. E has been m.i.a. for nearly a decade, it seems. 

Thanks for the rec, too. I’m going to see what I can find from her. 

2 hours ago, optatio said:

They already have their own festival http://www.womeninjazz.de/ !

Ha! That’s awesome! 

*edit* 

Currently listening to Nellie Bly Project from the Sam Boshnack Quintet. Quite good so far! 

Edited by Scott Dolan

5 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Yes, it sounds like a funny question. But this week I’ve listened to albums from Kris Davis, Tomeka Reid, Esperanza Spalding, Mary 

Halvorson, and Jaimie Branch, all of which were top flight! I can’t think of another era where female Jazz musicians were so plentiful. 

Does anyone else see this? Do you have any favorites of your own? 

Currently listening to Planktonic Finales from Ingrid Laubrock, Stephan Crump, and Cory Smythe. 

I think you’re right.  Some of the institutional barriers, especially against women playing traditionally “masculine” instruments, are probably fading somewhat.

Also, in a time of exponentially growing over-population, allow me to posit that the phallocentric esthetic in all parts of life might naturally be diminishing as a primary directive force of civilization.

The Age Of Dick is over, don't fret, it's ok, thrusting and sperming and impregnating will always have a place, but they need not rule forever. There's other thing to do, let people who aren't drive to Dick Dominate step up for a change.

Dick being Dick,  though, Dick gonna make it ugly as possible along the way, so...watch out for Dick.

I think you’re both right. Music has always been a reflection of society in a general sense. 

Just makes me somewhat sad to think that maybe there have been a lot of great female musicians in the past that never made it because of the things you’ve both pointed out. I mean, women didn’t just start getting talented...

I've been thinking about the effects of overpopulation on human behavior for a while now, but within the last year, I stumbled on some random interview with a female composer whose name I do not recall right now (sorry...) and she was getting really elaborate about how the whole paradigm of all "Western Music" was built around a sexual model, always, eventually, building to an inevitable and final climax, with lots of twisting and thrusting along the way. She said that that's a quintessentially "male" way of looking at life, and that she rejected it wholeheartedly, except/unless she herself wanted that. Otherwise, she was going to work of different paradigms.

Now yes, some of this struck me as being more than a little rigid and dogmatic, but another part of me said, well, she's not wrong, not in any way, so...you know physically and mental, there is less "space" now than ever, and maybe reproduction is not as...common a drive as it used to be, maybe people are feeling the need to take care of/nurture what we already have instead of just making more and more and more of. Either that or destroy as much of it as possible.

One thing's for sure, now is definitely a lot of things that it was not even 15-20 years ago. Where it all goes, hell if I no, but along the way, pay attention to the changes and if enough of the more or less "same thing" is happening, it's not accidental.

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

I've been thinking about the effects of overpopulation on human behavior for a while now, but within the last year, I stumbled on some random interview with a female composer whose name I do not recall right now (sorry...) and she was getting really elaborate about how the whole paradigm of all "Western Music" was built around a sexual model, always, eventually, building to an inevitable and final climax, with lots of twisting and thrusting along the way. She said that that's a quintessentially "male" way of looking at life, and that she rejected it wholeheartedly, except/unless she herself wanted that. Otherwise, she was going to work of different paradigms.

Now yes, some of this struck me as being more than a little rigid and dogmatic, but another part of me said, well, she's not wrong, not in any way, so...you know physically and mental, there is less "space" now than ever, and maybe reproduction is not as...common a drive as it used to be, maybe people are feeling the need to take care of/nurture what we already have instead of just making more and more and more of. Either that or destroy as much of it as possible.

One thing's for sure, now is definitely a lot of things that it was not even 15-20 years ago. Where it all goes, hell if I no, but along the way, pay attention to the changes and if enough of the more or less "same thing" is happening, it's not accidental.

Interesting thought, but I honestly see no parallels there. I think it’s less nature vs nurture than it is a fact that the possibilities are simply running out. It’s not so much population growth, uness you want to argue that the more creative musical minds you add to the world are rushing us towards the “finish line” faster than ever, as it is there is a finite number of ways to compose, arrange, and play sounds. And the shelves in that store are looking pretty bare these days. 

BUT, back on topic, I find it impossible to listen to all these young and outrageously talented women and think to myself, “hey man, that’s been done already”, because it actually hasn’t! Now, the interesting part of that is what if I were listening to this in a vaccuum? Had no idea whether Jack or Jill were playing. Would it be the “same thing” again? I wonder.