New server and increased cost...

Jim Alfredson

I created a new fundraiser for 2018 and added those that contributed today to that fundraiser. Thank you.

Yes, I thought about the fact that online discussion forums such as these seem to be rather antiquated. That's why I'm leaving it up to you all to decide if you want to keep it going. In regards to security issues, we do daily backups so I doubt any data would be lost in the event of a hack, but they could potentially use an exploit in the old software to take over my entire server, which would be bad and/or steal people's personal information. Thankfully we don't have anything like credit card numbers stored here, but emails and locations and such.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I like how this averages out to one $50.00 donor per week, every year.

Hope it goes better over the long haul than has Album Of The Week...

I just joined the $50 club.  This bulletin board may indeed be "antiquated" by contemporary Internet standards, but I still find it much more user-friendly for extended jazz conversations than Facebook (or, God help us, Twitter)--not to mention the usefulness of relatively easy searching for past discussions on various artists and topics. (For example, when I logged on tonight, it was in part to look for any prior threads devoted to the pianist Dorothy Donegan; I'd picked up a used CD of hers last week and found her playing so busy as to be nearly unlistenable, and often seemingly emotionally disconnected from the material that was at hand.  I was curious to see if I was alone in having that reaction, but the one thread I found here revealed similar responses from several other posters.) I'll definitely put my money where my big mouth is when it comes to financially sustaining the board! :g

2 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I created a new fundraiser for 2018 and added those that contributed today to that fundraiser. Thank you.

Yes, I thought about the fact that online discussion forums such as these seem to be rather antiquated. That's why I'm leaving it up to you all to decide if you want to keep it going. In regards to security issues, we do daily backups so I doubt any data would be lost in the event of a hack, but they could potentially use an exploit in the old software to take over my entire server, which would be bad and/or steal people's personal information. Thankfully we don't have anything like credit card numbers stored here, but emails and locations and such.

"Antiquated" in this day and age is not always a bad thing.  Social media is what is viewed as "modernity" in group communication, but many people (including yours truly) decline to use it for a variety of reasons. I find that the bulletin board format is the best way to have the discussions that we have here. 

You can also count me in as a regular contributor going forward. 

Edited by sonnyhill

2 hours ago, sonnyhill said:

"Antiquated" in this day and age is not always a bad thing.  Social media is what is viewed as "modernity" in group communication, but many people (including yours truly) decline to use it for a variety of reasons. I find that the bulletin board format is the best way to have the discussions that we have here. 

You can also count me in as a regular contributor going forward. 

I'm also "antiquated" by choice.  Only social media I use is Linkedin.  

This thread reminds me of about a year ago when Jim posted a request for financial support - this time it worked once again, January is paid for, and we should make sure that we're always one month ahead! Let's all watch the fundraising level and not be shy and post reminders! 

Made my donation just before this discussion but will now plan to up the schedule to semi-annual.

Thinking of it that way, $50 twice a year is just over $8 a month.  Even if the discussions aren't as involving as they used to be, surely the album cover threads are worth $8 a month.

Been a fair while since I gave - so I'm good for $100.  And/or...

I've been meaning to list a few Mosaics for sale here too -- with 100% of the proceeds going to the continued upkeep of the board.  "100%" as in the "payment" can go *directly* to Jim (no need for me to be a middle man).

Don't want to seem unappreciative but i'm not gonna lie, $50 USD is a lot of money for me. I'm down for at least $20 USD before end of first half 2018, will see after that. Slightly concerned about the ongoing viability of this method of keeping things going (if we hadn't met 2017's target, which seemed like a distinct possibility, would that have been it for the board?) but i know that it's best to act in good faith and contribute.

2 hours ago, xybert said:

Don't want to seem unappreciative but i'm not gonna lie, $50 USD is a lot of money for me. I'm down for at least $20 USD before end of first half 2018, will see after that. Slightly concerned about the ongoing viability of this method of keeping things going (if we hadn't met 2017's target, which seemed like a distinct possibility, would that have been it for the board?) but i know that it's best to act in good faith and contribute.

I believe it is not only about USD 50 at all - each and every donation is important to help maintaining the board .... btw Jim confirmed in a earlier post that the donation goal was met for 2017 ....

4 hours ago, xybert said:

It's about contributing what you can, when you are able. We have enough members for whom $50 USD (and even more) is not a huge deal.  Every bit helps and no one should think that $50 is some minimum contribution.

On 06/01/2018 at 9:04 AM, soulpope said:

I believe it is not only about USD 50 at all - each and every donation is important to help maintaining the board .... btw Jim confirmed in a earlier post that the donation goal was met for 2017 ....

On 06/01/2018 at 11:42 AM, Dan Gould said:

It's about contributing what you can, when you are able. We have enough members for whom $50 USD (and even more) is not a huge deal.  Every bit helps and no one should think that $50 is some minimum contribution.

Cheers guys. :tup