New server and increased cost...

Jim Alfredson

I’ve always been wary of donating to a message board that I thought I’d be booted from at any given moment, and where I was hated by most members (bed made, and uncomfortably slept on). 

But Jim Alfredson always showed me friendship, and welcomed me, even in my worst of days. Many apologies for not donating earlier. 

Though, respectfully, even though I just earned the honor, could we shitcan the ‘donor’ tag? There are other very respected members that have not, or cannot, donate. It just seems belittling, IMO.  

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is, it takes money to run this place.  All of us here love music, which means we pay for it in one way or another.  Forego buying a CD or two, and put that money here instead.  Jim A. doesn't give it a hard sell, but if you love this place, put some skin in the game.

13 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

And what does it mean if you don’t have that little $ Donor thing under your name? 

I'd say set up a poll and find out how people interpret that.

But the reality is that no one can draw any conclusion because you can donate off-line and it won't show.

The only thing I'd change about the board-centric donate system is to eliminate the amount donated.  No need for that info. We're all in this together, right?

Truthfully, I hadn't even noticed that little donor thingy until it was pointed out here. It's not where my eye goes, ever.

Well, now it is, now that it's been pointed out. But...just sayin' my eye is on the posts and maybe an avatar for a few times if it's new.

If your words are on the page, you're in. You can't buy anything, no special posting privileges or anything like that. The only outsiders are ones who don't post. Otherwise, it's life as per BAU - you go into a room and there you are. Take it from there.

For the record, only Jim A. can change that setting, so...

2 hours ago, paul secor said:

Mailed a check to Jim today.

I never look at the donor icon either. But since others have brought it up, it seems odd that if you contribute by check, the icon isn't placed under your name. Hope that doesn't make me look like a deadbeat who posts but never contributes.

I think it’s the money that matters.  I always start with the “Show Unread Content” page, so I never even see that donor stuff.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

Bumpage... new 2019 fundraiser launched today.

Thanks everyone.

Is this to update the info on goal/dollars received and maybe get some steady dollars or was the November bumpage not so effective and the money needs to come in again now?