Marion Brown Discography

optatio

19 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Marion had some funny stories about Devorah Day. Fond memories of speaking with the man.

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

I really liked that Devorah Day record, whatever happened to her, and can the stories be told in public?

While listening to Devorah Day I see that the given date of the recording – 10/28/99 - must be wrong. Devorah Day said to Franz A. Matzner in 2003:“The session was done in Sept. of 1998 we mixed it down the second week of October, ...“ https://www.allaboutjazz.com/days-dawning-an-interview-with-singer-devorah-day-devorah-day-by-franz-a-matzner.php

Marion sent me Oct. 22, 1998 a letter with a little flyer of a coming gig on Nov. 5 [1998]

31454487ry.jpg

and he noticed on the back side

31454500xs.jpg

With separate post I received a video with handwritten notes by him

31454513ol.jpg

Marion Brown: You can take from it only what you bring to it*. (Plus Devorah Day). (Recorded and) © 1998 K.A. Rashid.

*Marion Brown with Bigband Jorge Sylvester

Continuation
In 2003, Devorah Day has told about her meeting with Marion here https://www.allaboutjazz.com/days-dawning-an-interview-with-singer-devorah-day-devorah-day-by-franz-a-matzner.php, Marion 2005 here http://cliffordallen.blogspot.de/2010/10/marion-brown-july-8-1931-october-10.html .

I did not know that CD 'Devorah Day, Ligh of Day' was released in 1999 as Cdr 'Devorah Day, Daylight' https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/devday . The track order is a little bit changed. I have ordered this issue today. By the way: The song 'Lover Man' can be heard here:  

1999 as year of recording is improbable also for this reason - Marion's left foot was amputated. He knew that I had completely collected his LPs and CDs and gave my address to his lawyer. I received a letter from her in April 1999 with the request of a list of his musical works. I sent her by letter (!) the former link to this discography. Karl-Michael and I were busy then to complete the list – at that time about 50 pages printed - as fast as possible so that it could play a role in the medical malpractise case. His lawyer won the lawsuit, so Marion could live in Florida financially carefree. He has mentioned her in Clifford's interview (ibid.).

In the early 70's I took a 'History of Jazz' class at UC Santa Barbara. I can't remember the name of the professor (who was very good and opened my eyes to a LOT of great music), but I'm sure that Marion Brown was in residence and available at least a couple of times. I've tried searching for any info on this, but so far have come up empty.

Anyone here heard anything about it?

Elliott Schwartz and Marion Brown have worked together at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine, and recorded in 1973.

31488504bm.jpg

31488507jd.jpg

I have a handwritten 'curriculum vitae' by Marion. He has mentioned

Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, Child Study Center, Resource Teacher 1970 - 1971

Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine, BA in Music Education 1974, Assistant Professor of Music 1974 - 1976

Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts, Lecturer in African-American Music 1974 - 1976

Colby College, Waterville, Maine, Lecturer in African-American Music 1974 - 1976

Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut, MA in Ethnomusicology 1976, Graduate Assistant 1974 - 1976

University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, Studies in Drawing Composition with Nelson Stevens 1984-1985

The Arts Student League, New York City, Studies in Drawing Anatomy with Thomas E. Fogarty Jr. 1985 - 1986

Should he have forgotten UC Santa Barbara?

10 hours ago, optatio said:

Elliott Schwartz and Marion Brown have worked together at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine, and recorded in 1973.

31488504bm.jpg

31488507jd.jpg

Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, Child Study Center, Resource Teacher 1970 - 1971

Bowdoin College, Brunswick, Maine, BA in Music Education 1974, Assistant Professor of Music 1974 - 1976

Brandeis University, Waltham, Massachusetts, Lecturer in African-American Music 1974 - 1976

Colby College, Waterville, Maine, Lecturer in African-American Music 1974 - 1976

Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut, MA in Ethnomusicology 1976, Graduate Assistant 1974 - 1976

University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, Studies in Drawing Composition with Nelson Stevens 1984-1985

The Arts Student League, New York City, Studies in Drawing Anatomy with Thomas E. Fogarty Jr. 1985 - 1986

Interesting. This would have been between 1971 & '74, but there's nothing there. I wish I had a better recollection of his contribution, or explanation of his appearance.

11 hours ago, optatio said:

31488504bm.jpg

31488507jd.jpg

Schwartz was at UCSB doing a residency in the 1970s, and it is conceivable that Marion went with him.

That would make sense. I don't remember anything about Schwartz, but that doesn't mean he wasn't there.

Schwartz's bio on his website says: "Visiting appointments have included Trinity College of Music, London (1967), the University of California/Santa Barbara (College of Creative Studies, 1970, '73, '74) ..."

Edited by BFrank

The discography has been expanded to include Paintings because music and visuel art has been twins in Marion Brown´s career.

Marion began painting in 1981 (Recollections, 1983, p. 216). He studied drawing composition with Nelson Stevens in UMass Amherst (1984-1985) and drawing anatomy with Thomas E. Fogarty Jr. in the Arts Student League of New York (1985-1986).

He began to exhibit his works in 1983 (JUS´JASS, Kenkeleba Gallery, New York City, 1983), followed by exhibitions in Amherst (1984, 1985), New York (Fashion Moda, 1986, 1987), Hamburg, Germany (Weltmusikinstitut, 1988), Fürth, Germany (Jazz-Film-Tage, 1989), in 1990 in Paris (Parsons School of Design), in Northampton, USA (Hart Gallery) and at some jazz festivals in Germany (11. Leverkusener Jazztage, 13. Internationales Jazzfestival Nürnberg, 7. Ingolstädter Jazztage), and 1991 again at Hart Gallery, Northampton.

He has called his painting cycles "See the Music". He has sold all his paintings. But some he gave to his friends as thanks for support. This one hung here many years in my office, now at home:

31527957qm.jpg

This one I have sent to his daughter Anaïs St. John in New Orleans:

31527968hz.jpg

If someone of the "members" has a painting by Marion Brown may send a scan contact - thank you.