Remembering Art Farmer

cohens2

A new website dedicated to trumpeter, flugelhornist, flumpeter Art Farmer has just been launched: http://artfarmer.org. It contains biographical information, a complete discography covering a 50-year recording career, album covers, photos, memorabilia, memories of musician colleagues and others and an extensive bibliography. Please check it out.

2018 will bring the 90th anniversary of Farmer's birth.

I heard him with several editions of the Jazztet several times (including when that band was brand new) and later on at the Brown Shoe on Wells St. in Chicago with his quartet with Steve Kuhn, Pete LaRoca, and (I think) Steve Swallow -- the group that made the "Sing To Me Softly of the Blues" (Atlantic).  IIRC, the rhythm section was very interactive (think Joe Henderson's "Basra") , and Art (on flugelhorn throughout I think) was in fine form.

6 hours ago, cohens2 said:

A new website dedicated to trumpeter, flugelhornist, flumpeter Art Farmer has just been launched: http://artfarmer.org. It contains biographical information, a complete discography covering a 50-year recording career, album covers, photos, memorabilia, memories of musician colleagues and others and an extensive bibliography. Please check it out.

2018 will bring the 90th anniversary of Farmer's birth.

Art Farmer was a great musician  - thnx for sharing ....

9 hours ago, Cyril said:

And once a resident of Vienna.... ;)

Needless to say I heard him almost every time I could. He performed at least twice a year for several days at Jazzland and I was a regular. I was a youngster in the 70´s and spent most of my money buying records and going to Jazzland. Though I still was quite shy, I asked Art Farmer to sign "To Duke with Love" for me, which he did, asking me "what´s your name" so he even wrote it with a dedication for me !

Great site about him !

There are also famous Art Farmer Quotes. I might add another one. In his book "Worte zur Musik" , Frederick Gulda stated that when he played at Vanguard Art Farmer went up to him and said to him "get that edge off" . Indeed, it happens that people who were not born into jazz and have learned it out of classical music, sometimes are tending to stiff-collared phrases while improvising, it doesn´t "flow" the way it should. That´s what Art Farmer meant....... to get rid of that "edge"

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Needless to say I heard him almost every time I could. He performed at least twice a year for several days at Jazzland and I was a regular. I was a youngster in the 70´s and spent most of my money buying records and going to Jazzland. Though I still was quite shy, I asked Art Farmer to sign "To Duke with Love" for me, which he did, asking me "what´s your name" so he even wrote it with a dedication for me !

Great site about him !

There are also famous Art Farmer Quotes. I might add another one. In his book "Worte zur Musik" , Frederick Gulda stated that when he played at Vanguard Art Farmer went up to him and said to him "get that edge off" . Indeed, it happens that people who were not born into jazz and have learned it out of classical music, sometimes are tending to stiff-collared phrases while improvising, it doesn´t "flow" the way it should. That´s what Art Farmer meant....... to get rid of that "edge"

Those memories ....

Art Farmer is one of my all time favorite musicians. I first became aware of him when I saw his quartet with Jim Hall on TV in the early 60's, but the first time I saw him in person was when he was leading a great quintet with Jimmy Heath. I saw that group a couple of times, first when they had Albert Dailey on piano, and later when Cedar Walton was on board. Over the years I caught him a number times, usually leading a quartet. The last time, I think, was at the DeCordova Museum in the early 90's, as part of a memorable series of outdoor concerts that took place there. I remember it was a scalding hot summer day. Everyone, including the band, was sweltering, but the music was magnificent. Art was a true original.

Edited by Stereojack
punctuation

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Thanks to this site, I've landed a copy of Voices All, a Japan release - maybe the earliest of the reconstituted Jazztet?  With Cedar on piano and covering many of the best Golson compositions:

https://www.discogs.com/Jazztet-Voices-All/release/4680988

Nice one - got this as Toshiba EMI vinyl from 1983 ....

Edit : The session was recorded in 1982 and released as the following one

MI0001710384.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

in 1983 ....

Edited by soulpope

• 11 months later...

Would love to hear this:

Date: November 7, 1998
Label: [television broadcast]
Art Farmer All Star Quintet live in Salzburg

Art Farmer (ldr), Art Farmer (flp), Johnny Griffin (ts), Tommy Flanagan (p), Peter Washington (b), Lewis Nash (d), Vanessa Rubin (v) 

a.   I Mean You - 10:19(Thelonious Monk)
b.   If I Should Lose You - 11:35(Ralph Rainger, Leo Robin)
c.   Stardust - 8:12(Hoagy Carmichael, Mitchell Parish)
d.   Surrey with the Fringe on Top - 8:51(Richard Rodgers, Oscar Hammerstein II)
e.   Caravan - 9:34(Duke Ellington, Juan Tizol, Irving Mills)
f.   Beyond The Bluebird - 6:29(Tommy Flanagan)
g.   Cup Bearers - 9:30(Tom McIntosh)
h.   All Blues - 9:49(Miles Davis)
i.   Lush Life(Billy Strayhorn)
j.   Blue 'n' Boogie - 7:12(Dizzy Gillespie, Frank Paparelli)
k. inc Blue Monk - 5:29(Thelonious Monk)
All titles unissued.  

Art Farmer (flp) on a, c-d, h-k; Johnny Griffin (ts) on a-b, d, h-k; Vanessa Rubin (v) on h-i.

Solos:
a - Art Farmer (flp); Johnny Griffin (ts); Tommy Flanagan (p); Peter Washington (b); Lewis Nash (d) 8-bar exchanges with Farmer and Griffin; Lewis Nash (d)
b - Johnny Griffin (ts); Tommy Flanagan (p); Peter Washington (b); Johnny Griffin (ts)
c - Art Farmer (flp); Tommy Flanagan (p); Art Farmer (flp) and cadenza
d - Lewis Nash (d) intro; Johnny Griffin (ts); Art Farmer (flp); Tommy Flanagan (p); Lewis Nash (d) exchanges with Farmer and Griffin
e - Tommy Flanagan (p) rubato intro; Tommy Flanagan (p) vamp; Tommy Flanagan (p); Peter Washington (b); Tommy Flanagan (p) 16- and 8-bar exchanges with Nash
f - Tommy Flanagan (p) intro; Tommy Flanagan (p); Peter Washington (b); Tommy Flanagan (p)
g - Tommy Flanagan (p) intro; Tommy Flanagan (p); Peter Washington (b); Tommy Flanagan (p) exchanges with Nash
h - Tommy Flanagan (p) intro in 3/4; Vanessa Rubin (v) in 3/4; Johnny Griffin (ts) in 3/4; Art Farmer (flp) in 3/4; Vanessa Rubin (v) scatting and interpolates "Everyday I Have the Blues," "West Coast Blues" and "CC Rider"
j - Art Farmer (flp); Johnny Griffin (ts); Tommy Flanagan (p); Lewis Nash (d) 12-bar (1 chorus) exchanges with Farmer and Griffin
k - Art Farmer (flp) in progress at start; Peter Washington (b)

Timings shown include applause.