Sonet Records Recommendations?

Dan Gould

Lately a lot of my purchases have been facilitated by Discogs label search function and after receiving Red Rodney, Yard's Pad I began to wonder what other records in the catalog are worth seeking out.

I have a few Sonets in the stacks, and I can see they did a lot of licensing deals for American releases but I'm curious what else I might consider.

As always, thanks in advance!

Bud Powell's "Bouncing with Bud" (9/26/62, Copenhagen, NHOP, Schiopffe) is one of the best late Bud records It might be THE best post-1958 save a few of the Michelot/Clarke tracks c. 1960. It's been released on various labels -- I have the Delmark LP -- but it was original done for Sonet.

On a related note, I've long been searching for this Roland Hanna LP 1979, which appears to have never made it to CD. He plays Swedish folk music.

https://www.discogs.com/Sir-Roland-Hanna-Och-Jungfrun-Gick-%C3%85t-Killan/release/8882874

My favorite Sonet release is probably Bob Brookmeyer's Back Again.  The sidemen are Thad Jones (sounding great), Jimmy Rowles, George Mraz, and Mel Lewis.

MI0000828487.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

These are very good too:

R-2764025-1299970103.jpeg.jpg

R-2246933-1272143940.jpeg.jpg

2 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

On a related note, I've long been searching for this Roland Hanna LP 1979, which appears to have never made it to CD. He plays Swedish folk music.

https://www.discogs.com/Sir-Roland-Hanna-Och-Jungfrun-Gick-%C3%85t-Killan/release/8882874

I've wanted that for a long time too!  :tup  I've never seen it (in person) or heard it.  

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Thanks to all; any comments on

Art Farmer A Sleeping Bee

Recently I culled around 100 LPs from collection. This Farmer was in the frame for taking to Oxfam. It was a Spanish LP edition with a rather sad and tatty cover. I listened to it before heading out the door. Fatal, I loved it and couldn't bring myself to part with it.

Instead I dumped some Kentons, Brubeck and some duplicates of material I had on better sounding CDs ( that phenomena does exist)

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Kai Winding w. Curtis Fuller (w. Horace Parlan); 

Art Farmer A Sleeping Bee

Vic Dickenson Plays Bessie Smith

Philly Joe Jones, Mean What You Say

?

Can't speak specifically to any of these, but a quick YouTube search finds a couple cuts from the Kai and Curtis, four  tracks from the Philly Joe and one from the Art Farmer. Happy exploring.

Edited by Mark Stryker

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-1572745-1393513209-3501.jpeg.jpg

R-2320919-1337637223-7615.jpeg.jpg

Very interesting!

Speaking of Temiz, how about this Sonet LP:

R-1052683-1501410948-8159.jpeg.jpg

I've never heard it, but always wanted to.  It features Bobo Stenson.

I just thought of another excellent LP that was released on Inner City here in the U.S. but was originally recorded for Sonet:

R-2727572-1337168778-3063.jpeg.jpg

This was Stan Getz's rhythm section of the time, and you can tell they're a unit that regularly plays together.

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Al Cohn / Zoot Sims: Motoring Along

All of these recordings were originally on the Sonet label . My copies are on the Gazell label. They were licensed from Sonet.

Bob Brookmeyer - Back Again

Al Cohn & Zoot Sims - Motoring Along

Paris Reunion Band - French Cooking

Paris Reunion Band - For Klook

Joe Sample Trio - Fancy Dance

Sonny Stitt with Art Blakey and the Jazz messengers - In Walked Sonny 

If you buy Sonet vinyl, be careful about the condition if you buy older (late 50s/early to mid-60s) pressings from Denmark (probably not a problem with later/70s etc. pressings - my 70s UK-licensed Sonet pressings all are fine, for example). Sometimes they can be lousy as hell - inclusions of foreign matter in the vinyl that stand out like a wart, bubbles in the surface that are visible from a mile way etc. The actual pressing qulaity of Sonet was probably fine but what good is this if the material has all sorts of inclusions or bubbling?
No idea what they threw in the mixture at the time or if their vinyl aged particularly badly or whatever, but I haven't even seen such VISIBLY lousy pressing quality with those typical Crown LPs from way back.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

17 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Al Cohn / Zoot Sims: Motoring Along

:tup

Sonet goes back a long time. On a visit to Norway in 1958 at the age of 18 I bought an E P of the Charlie Parker "Now's the Time"/"I Remember You"/"Confirmation"/"Chi Chi" session  re-issued on Sonet.

On 1/11/2018 at 10:39 AM, Dan Gould said:

Philly Joe Jones, Mean What You Say

?

Not as much fire as I was hoping for but it's a nice record, maybe a bit looser than the Uptown dates that followed. I think I probably should re-listen to it.

Agreed on the Dyani/Temiz/Feza records, which are wonderful. Had that Konitz out the other day as well, and it's quite enjoyable.

The Prehn was given a test pressing and cover but not commercially issued at the time, so I guess that was cheating a bit!

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Not as much fire as I was hoping for but it's a nice record, maybe a bit looser than the Uptown dates that followed. I think I probably should re-listen to it.

Seems not that comparable just because they were larger groups w. arrangements as opposed to what looks like small group blowing.  I am kinda disappointed to find out Tommy Turrentine is only on two tunes but I'll probably still pull the trigger on this one.