Jazz Education Network Presentations

I am a proud member of the Jazz Education Network and have been honored to present at several of their conferences. I have put all of my presentation materials on my website. A quick summary of what is available:

2016 presentation: The improvisational style of George Robert. George was a fantastic alto player influenced by Bird and Phil Woods. 

2017: Brevity Is The Soul Of Wit: A Study of One-Chorus Jazz Solos. An examination of 17 one chorus solos.

2018: Phil Woods and Cherokee. Examining 8 solos Phil recorded over ~50 years. 

The presentations, transcriptions, and edited audio are available at :

http://scooby-sax.com/JEN_Presentations.html

Thanks for all the great stuff on Phil! On Judgement Day, we faithful in Phil will spend the rest of eternity trading fours with Phil and Bird in the promised land.

Have you heard any word from Jill about the availability of Phil's autobiography?                                                                            

I talked to Jill Goodwin when we met at the Deerhead Inn in October, where I also met Bill Goodwin. Phil's autobiography is being edited with additional material rewritten (I've forgotten who is doing it, but it may have been Ted Panken), the plan is to release it as an e-book. Bill is at work digitizing a number of unissued concerts featuring Phil's quartets and quintets, though I think he is taking the oldest ones first.

Jill was in the front row for my presentation at this year’s JEN conference. I talked to her afterwards and it sounded like the autobiography could be out this year. As Ken indicated, it is still getting some final edits. 

Great to hear that Bill is working on releasing more recordings. I’ll sharpen my pencil and get ready to transcribe more solos. 

22 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I talked to Jill Goodwin when we met at the Deerhead Inn in October, where I also met Bill Goodwin. Phil's autobiography is being edited with additional material rewritten (I've forgotten who is doing it, but it may have been Ted Panken), the plan is to release it as an e-book. Bill is at work digitizing a number of unissued concerts featuring Phil's quartets and quintets, though I think he is taking the oldest ones first.

Thanks for the info, Ken! Jill emailed me after the great Stroudsburg Memorial Concert last year saying they were still looking for a publisher.

Hopefully, she'll email me when the autobiography is available as an e-book. I'm looking forward to hearing the recordings Bill is releasing.

I'm still reeling from Phil's performance of 'Cheek To Cheek' on one of the North Sea jazz Festival recordings.

Scooby, I'm looking forward to playing through all those great Cherokee transcriptions. Thanks again!

You would have thought this book would have been a perfect fit for Scarecrow Press, which published Terry Gibbs' ASCAP-Deems Taylor Award-winning memoir. The download excerpts of Phil's 'Life in E-Flat' and his terrific Phil in the Gap column for the Al Cohn Memorial Newsletter were very entertaining.

From what Jill said in her email to me, they wanted one of the major publishing houses to put it out, or they were going to put it out on their own.

Scarecrow would've been fine, but they wanted one of the bigger houses, and you know what they're interested in...

I bought the DVD of 'Life in Eb', and it didn't offer anything new to me. Chan's memoir with a similar name had some stuff on Phil that I'd never read before.