Dolores O'Riodan, Singer For The Cranberries - Dead at 46

Kevin Bresnahan

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Guess a sure sign of aging is when pop stars dies and you don't know either them or their band...still, RIP, and she was young-ish still, always a sad thing.

As mentioned, The Cranberries came to fame in the early to mid-90s, so if you weren't listening to pop/rock during that decade, you never would've heard them. I was still listening to a lot of rock radio back then... and it's not like there has ever been a lot of Jazz radio during my lifetime.

You might've heard this song... it got a lot of airplay:

NY Times obituary:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/15/obituaries/dolores-oriordan-dead.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fobituaries&action=click&contentCollection=obituaries&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront

Incidentally, her name is misspelled in the thread title.

I'm another who didn't know anything about her before now. Listening to the first clip in this thread, it sounds as if she had a good
voice.

4 hours ago, Aggie87 said:

This was their other big song, alonside Linger and Zombie.  And it has 91 million views, jeez.  Though that's just a drop in the bucket compared to Zombie's 665 million views.

Believe it or not, I came to appreciate Dreams via Faye Wong's Cantonese cover in CHUNGKING EXPRESS before I'd ever heard the Cranberries' original. I think I still prefer Faye's version, but that's probably due more to familiarity with it than any objective merits. 

RIP to Ms. O'Riordan. She will be missed.