harold in the land of jazz OJC screwup?

JSngry

yea dog until recently esp w/ blue note but other labels too i didnt realise just how much of my favorite hard bop is "bitches brew" style edited.   i first started realising it when the mobley mosaic had a whole screwy set of peraramaters for one session.....then more recently in a bob cranshaw interview, he goes thru the recording process of 'the sidewinder', were the use of editing factored big in his story.  did this start in the mid 50s?  if you go back a little further i dont think they did this, no?  like say on jazz lps 1950-55, 

Dick

9 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

yea dog until recently esp w/ blue note but other labels too i didnt realise just how much of my favorite hard bop is "bitches brew" style edited.   i first started realising it when the mobley mosaic had a whole screwy set of peraramaters for one session.....then more recently in a bob cranshaw interview, he goes thru the recording process of 'the sidewinder', were the use of editing factored big in his story.  did this start in the mid 50s?  if you go back a little further i dont think they did this, no?  like say on jazz lps 1950-55, 

Two words - Richard Bock.

10 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

There are some edits on certain of the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions on Columbia during that period.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking about editing, wasn't there some rather huge and heavy-handed editing going on with certain Louis Armstrong recordings on Columbia in the 50s? I think Chris Albertson once wrote rather a detailed and acidic piece about this here.

One piece of editing I personally really regret are those jam session recordings by Bird in Sweden in 1950. I think from the first time these were released in 1959/60  the editing was there. I have a Spanish Storyville pressing from the 70s where the liner notes even give details about the Swedish (cream of the crop, mind you) soloists edited out because "of no great interest" - and this by Lars Werner, jazzman, scribe and producer himself! Understandable considering the cult surrounding Bird but still a pity ...

Edited by Big Beat Steve

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/02/2018 at 5:10 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

Talking about editing, wasn't there some rather huge and heavy-handed editing going on with certain Louis Armstrong recordings on Columbia in the 50s? I think Chris Albertson once wrote rather a detailed and acidic piece about this here.

One piece of editing I personally really regret are those jam session recordings by Bird in Sweden in 1950. I think from the first time these were released in 1959/60  the editing was there. I have a Spanish Storyville pressing from the 70s where the liner notes even give details about the Swedish (cream of the crop, mind you) soloists edited out because "of no great interest" - and this by Lars Werner, jazzman, scribe and producer himself! Understandable considering the cult surrounding Bird but still a pity ...

The unedited Louis Armstrong plays W C Handy is getting on for twice as long as the old LP i used to have. But those were cuts to make the thing fit onto a 12" LP. Why they preferred to issue a 12 track LP rather than two with six tracks I don't know.

MG

On 1/31/2018 at 11:13 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

Editing was certainly not unknown prior to '69, but In a Silent Way and Bitches took it to another level.

Patti Page!

MG

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

Thanks I have that one and also the "corrected" release that matches the Lp (It has the overdubbed cut), but didn't  realize that it was unedited.  I dthought it might become a rarity.  

The notes say it's as recorded or words to that effect, I seem to remember, though I haven't had a look at 'em to check

MG

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Patti Page!

MG

The notes say it's as recorded or words to that effect, I seem to remember, though I haven't had a look at 'em to check

MG

Just dug it up and looked at the notes.  Six of the cuts are "previously unissued masters"-- which I guess means, alternate takes.  However there's  no suggestion that the originally released cuts were edited.  The alternates are  fairly close to the same length as the originals. 

Edited by medjuck