Solo guitar

Milestones

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So the dam has broken, eh?  I really like this one; has a lot more energy than his Virtuoso releases, which can sound sleepy:

MI0000714736.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Not sure it's ever been released on CD.

1 hour ago, jazztrain said:

I know the thread started with solo guitar records, except for Joe Pass.  However, I wanted to recommend the following.  I remember seeing him play solo live shortly after this was released and found it a rather spellbinding experience.

R-4115936-1365126180-5069.jpeg.jpg

I never understood how an album titled "I Remember Charlie Parker" doesn't contain a single tune Bird wrote.  

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Or "I really like Charlie Parker but Norman Granz made me play these tunes instead."

Fact: All titles on "I Remember Charlie Parker" are on the two 10"-LPs Mercury MG C-501 and MG C-509 "Charlie Parker With Strings" from 1954. "Joe, impressed by the "Strings" album decided to record the beautiful melodies from it as an appropriate hommage to Charlie Parker." (Norman Granz, liner notes on "I Remember Charlie Parker").

Fact indeed!

And I don't really like Pablo-era Joe Pass, his time got fucked up or something, seems like he started getting more wound-up and on top of the beat. Maybe it was from being around Oscar Peterson too much, I don't know. I went to NT with a guy who was supposedly a prime private student of his (so why do you want to be here, I almost asked him more than once) who said that his time got fucked up because of the long-term neurological effects of drug use, but seriously, I think this dude was projecting that onto Joe Pass from himself, just sayin'.

But Joe Pass before all that happened, that was some good playing.

What is that font? I think of it as Mary Tyler Moore Show, but obviously not.

4 hours ago, optatio said:

Fact: All titles on "I Remember Charlie Parker" are on the two 10"-LPs Mercury MG C-501 and MG C-509 "Charlie Parker With Strings" from 1954. "Joe, impressed by the "Strings" album decided to record the beautiful melodies from it as an appropriate hommage to Charlie Parker." (Norman Granz, liner notes on "I Remember Charlie Parker").

OK, but the album could've also been called "I Remember Frank Sinatra" (well, Sinatra was still alive in 1979, but you get the idea).

Mind you, I also think it's weird that the "Rollins Plays For Bird" medley only has one Parker composition.

I'm not casting aspersions on the musical value of either album.

Agree on the Django and Ed Lang mentioned earlier.

This board's very own late Durium (Hans Koert), in one of his BFTs, turned me on to Ton van Bergeijk (or van Bergeyk, if you're a bit more Anglophone [*] in your orthography). "Anno 1926" off of "I Got Rhythm" on Stefan Grossman's label is particularly charming.

[*] Good on you if you were bothered by the contextually incongruous Greek root there.

21 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Must say after bebop and the white blues eras, I have little interest in solo guitar with a couple of exceptions. Sigh.

I've genuinely curious about your exceptions.  (I have to admit there's very little solo guitar that I've listened to over the years, so I'm not looking to to challenge anyone's suggestions in this thread.)

20 hours ago, JSngry said:

Fact indeed!

And I don't really like Pablo-era Joe Pass, his time got fucked up or something, seems like he started getting more wound-up and on top of the beat. Maybe it was from being around Oscar Peterson too much, I don't know. I went to NT with a guy who was supposedly a prime private student of his (so why do you want to be here, I almost asked him more than once) who said that his time got fucked up because of the long-term neurological effects of drug use, but seriously, I think this dude was projecting that onto Joe Pass from himself, just sayin'.

But Joe Pass before all that happened, that was some good playing.

What is that font? I think of it as Mary Tyler Moore Show, but obviously not.

I thought that earlier JP would be hipper with the time thing, but he was always like that. Although he played bop-type lines, he always used a Swing-era rhythmic conception.

Jimmy Raney described JP like this: "He sounds like Charlie Parker, all straightened out". 

In Grad school, I wanted to loan my classical guitar teacher some solo jazz guitar records, to hear what he thought of them.

He said, "Okay, but I refuse to listen to Joe Pass". Then he let loose a string of epithets to describe JP's Virtuoso albums that scared the hell out of me.

I didn't loan him any records, but he fell in love with a Geo. Van Eps piece for solo guitar that I played at my recital. He ordered me to xerox a copy of it for him.

I wrote an arr. of Stolen Moments for the school's Guitar Ensemble that he loved also, but when he ordered me to xerox all of that stuff for him, I pretended to forget to do it...

I'm the only guitarist I know of who can play SM as a solo guitar piece with the exact ON original voicings. I've listened to all of them, and only one guy came close.

14 minutes ago, sgcim said:

I thought that earlier JP would be hipper with the time thing, but he was always like that. Although he played bop-type lines, he always used a Swing-era rhythmic conception.

Jimmy Raney described JP like this: "He sounds like Charlie Parker, all straightened out". 

:lol:

2 hours ago, sgcim said:

I'm curious to hear how you think Swing-era rhythms compare to later ones. Also curious to know whether this statement is meant to connect to Jimmy Raney's (claiming straighter rhythms), to JSngry's (on-top-of-the-beat), or to both, or to neither.

I don't want to sound dismissive of Joe Pass.  I'm not a musician, but I can hear the technical skill  and sophistication of his playing; and an awful lot of praise has been heaped on this man.  Still, my go-to Pass records are the non-solo ones.

I think he did some marvelous things in duo settings, whether with another guitar (Herb Ellis), trombone, tenor, bass, etc.

Edited by Milestones