Milestones

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, lipi said:

I'm curious to hear how you think Swing-era rhythms compare to later ones. Also curious to know whether this statement is meant to connect to Jimmy Raney's (claiming straighter rhythms), to JSngry's (on-top-of-the-beat), or to both, or to neither.

Yeah, I actually agree with JSngry on something, although I don't see Pass in a negative light. Pass was an incredible guitarist, who had different influences than a hard-core bopper like Raney was.

Raney talks about how Bird used accents on the off-beats in his straight 8th notes, while the Swing conception was uneven 8th notes with accents on the beat..Barry Harris was quoted on Raney's 'Live in Tokyo LP as saying Raney was "the only guitarist who could do things like Yard did".

Also, there's a big difference between the types of lines guys like Raney and Farlow played compared to Pass'. Raney's were more involved melodically than Pass'.

Pass' lines tended to be much more straightforward, ordinary lines with less chromaticism than Raney's or Farlow's.

Tal came out to see me when I was playing at a club, during the time that Pass was at the height of his popularity, and I mentioned to him when we went out for breakfast that as great as Pass was as a guitarist, I still preferred the Raney/Farlow school to the Pass and Herb Ellis style. 

Pass was more influenced by Django than Raney and Farlow were, which is why he was a better choice to team up with Oscar Peterson than they were.

Edited by sgcim

About Pass always being "that way", it's true. But it does seem to have crossed the line form non-irritating to irritating as the 70s came and moved along. I can listen to him just fine on those 60s PJ records. Not so later on, he just bugs me. Huge respect for the guy though, obviously a master craftsman.

The Stones Jazz should be reissued by somebody. that's a perfect album of its "type", and nobody involved should disavow it.

Oh, I see that it has been: https://www.amazon.ca/Stones-Jazz-12-String-Guitar/dp/B002P3BAVI

Not sure if that other one is worth listening to, though.

Contrary to what has been said by some here, I like the playing of Joe Pass a lot. Though I am in agreement that his solo recordings are not at all to my taste.  Most of the solo albums strike me as technical Tour de Force sessions that lose, for me, the musical depth I hope to find.

While he may not be a bebop player like Raney or Tal Farlow, he fits well, in my opinion, with the more mainstream / swing oriented players such as on the Basie Jams with musicians such as Benny Carter, Al Grey, Lockjaw, Clark Terry, and  Zoot. The duo albums that feature Pass with Jimmy Rowles ,and one with Pass and Zoot  are very good.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:55 PM, JSngry said:

Fact indeed!

And I don't really like Pablo-era Joe Pass, his time got fucked up or something, seems like he started getting more wound-up and on top of the beat. Maybe it was from being around Oscar Peterson too much, I don't know. I went to NT with a guy who was supposedly a prime private student of his (so why do you want to be here, I almost asked him more than once) who said that his time got fucked up because of the long-term neurological effects of drug use, but seriously, I think this dude was projecting that onto Joe Pass from himself, just sayin'.

But Joe Pass before all that happened, that was some good playing.

What is that font? I think of it as Mary Tyler Moore Show, but obviously not.

I think the font is Peignot rendered in bold.